Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apache + NGINX vs Openlitespeed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apache + NGINX vs Openlitespeed

I got inspired by a test made by @vovler on 512MB RAM VM.

so I did mine to compare between openlitespeed (which I like) vs apache

I wonder why you think of this

Test environment:

2x Hetzner CPX31 VM: 4 cores 8GB RAM

1 running Plesk with WordPress Toolkit. and the other one running Cyberpanel.

both VMs created the same WordPress with the same Theme.

all configurations are out of the box. no tweaks no addons.

MOMENT OF TRUTH?

• Test one :

Plesk machine Apache
Load: 400 request/1min

• Test Two

Plesk machine Apache + NGINX (caching)
Load: 1500 request/1min

• Test Three

Cyberpanel machine Openlitespeed -no plugins (not even LSCWP)

at last, is it really Openlitespeed have such huge performance with low resources demand ? compared to Apache ?

I used to use Cyberpanel, but now I managed to put my hands on a cheap Plesk Web Pro license so I'm stuck with Apache. hope there is something to boost this old beast.

whats your thoughts ?

Comments

• No nginx only test?

• Considering most shared hosting provider are using litespeed, it is no doubt litespeed(openlitespeed) must be an excellent Wordpress(PHP) web server.
    Cyberpanel is a simple panel, one click install wordpress, rsync backup etc. If it is what you need, Cyberpanel is convenient and free choice.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    No nginx only test?

No sorry, I went by the recommended webserver per panel. Plesk do not recommend nginx only on their panel.

@elliotc said:
    Considering most shared hosting provider are using litespeed, it is no doubt >litespeed(openlitespeed) must be an excellent Wordpress(PHP) web server.
    Cyberpanel is a simple panel, one click install wordpress, rsync backup etc. If it is what >you need, Cyberpanel is convenient and free choice.

Yes, Cyberpanel is a good lite option. but Plesk is really good, I just wish they can add OLS it will be a huge performance boost. (I guess?)

• I don't think plesk is good. Maybe directadmin.

• I believe directadmin support openlitespeed iirc. The ultimate solution is make the whole site static.

• mezoologymezoology Member
    edited September 2020

I will shamelessly advocate for OLS on Plesk and invite you to vote if you agree.

but meanwhile, any Plesk user can share his Apache+NGINX (cashing) tweaks and fine-tunes to better performance ?

• @mezoology Here's an interesting article if you're looking for WordPress speed and low TTFB worldwide IF your Wordpress can run mostly static
    https://www.gulshankumar.net/static-wordpress-bunnycdn/

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • So, the end result is that OpenLightSpeed is good option. Which free AdminPanel do you recommend then. I am thinking of buying 2Core+2GB RAM+40GB SSD VPS to run 2 LMS and 2 eCommerce based on Wordpress.hat do you recommend? I am bit noob on Linux Configuration side.

• @vovler said:
    @mezoology Here's an interesting article if you're looking for WordPress speed and low TTFB worldwide IF your Wordpress can run mostly static
    https://www.gulshankumar.net/static-wordpress-bunnycdn/

That was interesting read my friend. the problem is most of my site will be huge pain to make static. if not impossible.

@ashmanmalhotra said:
    So, the end result is that OpenLightSpeed is good option. Which free AdminPanel do you recommend then. I am thinking of buying 2Core+2GB RAM+40GB SSD VPS to run 2 LMS and 2 eCommerce based on Wordpress.hat do you recommend? I am bit noob on Linux Configuration side.

TBH, If you have low experience on Linux, then DA is not your best bet. you have to use ssh a lot.

I use Plesk now, and I'm not planning to ditch it for DA. Plesk is just better.

• @mezoology Plesk will be very expensive for me right now. There should be some other remedy. Why I am saying is this bcz I will also have to buy Video Hosting as well as SSL. I will have think of things in budget right now.

• @ashmanmalhotra I would go Cyberpanel. it uses OLS. and why you need to buy SSL.
    most control panels shipped with Let'sEncrypt free SSL provider.

• @mezoology said: hope there is something to boost this old beast.

Hitch + varnish. Some configuration work, but very powerful once you get used to it.

• @ashmanmalhotra said: buy Video Hosting as well as SSL

No one buys SSL anymore, LetsEncrypt all the way

• @mezoology said:
    I got inspired by a test made by @vovler on 512MB RAM VM.

so I did mine to compare between openlitespeed (which I like) vs apache

I wonder why you think of this

Test environment:

2x Hetzner CPX31 VM: 4 cores 8GB RAM

1 running Plesk with WordPress Toolkit. and the other one running Cyberpanel.

both VMs created the same WordPress with the same Theme.

all configurations are out of the box. no tweaks no addons.

MOMENT OF TRUTH?

• Test one :

Plesk machine Apache
    Load: 400 request/1min

• Test Two

Plesk machine Apache + NGINX (caching)

• Test Three

Cyberpanel machine Openlitespeed -no plugins (not even LSCWP)

at last, is it really Openlitespeed have such huge performance with low resources demand ? compared to Apache ?

I used to use Cyberpanel, but now I managed to put my hands on a cheap Plesk Web Pro license so I'm stuck with Apache. hope there is something to boost this old beast.

whats your thoughts ?

yes, openlitespeed/Litespeed web server performance for WordPress magically high compare to Ngnix in Cpanel also and the Litespeed web server knows widely use with SSD or NVMeSSD so you don't need too many cores.

• CyberPanel does not have any guides for configuring BunnyCDN.

• vovlervovler Member

@ashmanmalhotra said:
    CyberPanel does not have any guides for configuring BunnyCDN.

Sorry... but what?
    You don't configure the CDN at the panel level.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@mezoology said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    No nginx only test?

No sorry, I went by the recommended webserver per panel. Plesk do not recommend nginx only on their panel.

You can use the Apache + Nginx with Plesk

• KassemKassem Member

Using different panels you aren't really doing a balanced comparison. Need to set everything the same with one thing different and then do the tests but two different panels doesn't make sense.