Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vibrations in Seagate EXOS Helium Drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vibrations in Seagate EXOS Helium Drives

mehargagsmehargags Member
edited September 2020 in General

I recently bought this 10TB Helium EXOS Drive. The drive itself is working fine and read/write speed seems good as well, except that the drive occasionally gives BIG JOLTS and Shivers that shake my entire computer Desk.
Normally the Drive is silent and vibrations are acceptable, they are NOT constant, but suddenly in between (even when it is not being accessed) the drive shakes and gives a really "feelable" jerk to my whole table.

I checked a few Reviews on Newegg and Amazon, many complained about this. Some said a few drives Vibrate alot but some don't.

Basic test / SMART test in seatools show fine and pass.

This drive holds substantial amount of important data so I want to know if it is safe to continue or Should I RMA it ?

Seagate Exos X14 ST10000NM0478 10TB 7200

Model   :   ST10000NM0478-2H7100
Firmware    :   SN03

Comments

• I would return it. Those jolts will impact on the lifespan of the drive.

• @mehargags said: This drive holds substantial amount of important data

regardless of the drives behaviour, if the data is important get a second (different) drive for backups ;-)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2020

its not vibrator to vibrate, from personal experience I never had any hdds with issue of vibrations, so definitely faulty hard drive - people do complain cause the whole batch faulty or box was dropped.

• Thanks for the inputs... I have filed an RMA request. Lets see what they have to say