Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which should I have KVM or OPENVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which should I have KVM or OPENVZ

ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
edited November 2013 in General

I have 2 vps openvz and kvm, this time I am confused which one should I continue the contract because the clothes and everything nice

KVM MyCustomhosting 4 GB Ram 100GB SSD Cache

OPENVZ Greenvaluehosting 4GB Brust 5GB Ram 200GB SSD Cache

from test i do all give good results.

Which should I have to defend from them ?
openvz from greenvaluehosting or KVM mycustomhosting
becouse i have some vps not usage optimal and all give me good performance and uptime

now I am confused to choose, OPENVZ good for speed performance, KVM give dedicated resource

please help me to choose this with some review about kvm and openvz . confused mode on

Comments

• ReeceReece Member
    edited November 2013

Selling 4GB RAM on a E3 + OpenVZ wont work well.. I'd rather stick to the dedicated resources my customhosting.

Whats the price of that 4GB KVM?

• edited November 2013

Keep the Kvm. :)

Or buy a dedibox from Online.net, you can abuse it without worrying the impact to another :p

• @Reece said:
    Selling 4GB RAM on a E3 + OpenVZ wont work well.. I'd rather stick to the dedicated resources.

Whats the price of that 4GB KVM?

KVM $21/Quarter
    Openvz $5/month

• ReeceReece Member
    edited November 2013

@ZeroCool said:

+1 for the KVM once again.

You cant complain with the price :)

• @Reece said:
    You cant complain with the price :)

thanks for the +1 of kvm

• Kvm ftw.

• has been 3 user give point for KVM

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@ZeroCool said: has been 3 user give point for KVM

All other things being equal, or close to that, it's a no brainer ;)

• let go of the kvm

• 4 User for KVM ..

• Should keep the KVM.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

KVM.

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited November 2013

You don't always get that type of kvm offer often. :p

• +1 KVM

• Keep the KVM

• what big reaso you all vote for kvm without reason dedicated resource meybe someting else ?

• @ZeroCool said:
    what big reaso you all vote for kvm without reason dedicated resource meybe someting else ?

With KVM, you get the resources for yourself, they are dedicated to you. You can use all of them if you want, but if you get the same resources with OpenVZ, they host might shut you down due to abuse of resources(you can't use 4 GB RAM without using a lot of CPU as well), whereas if you use 4 GB RAM in KVM, there's no problem.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

keep kvm.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@dhamaniasad said: With KVM, you get the resources for yourself, they are dedicated to you.

Except the CPU.

You can use all of them if you want, but if you get the same resources with OpenVZ, they host might shut you down due to abuse of resources(you can't use 4 GB RAM without using a lot of CPU as well), whereas if you use 4 GB RAM in KVM, there's no problem.

CPU is still shared, so this last part is not entirely correct.

As long as the node is under my control (e.g. running OpenVZ node inside a KVM), I prefer OpenVZ. It has many advantages over KVM. OpenVZ is great for sharing resources and making the most of them. Fantastic for taking snapshots/backups and cloning/migrating entire containers. And all that with minimum overhead. However, on some third party provider's node - which is always oversold! - with multiple different users (and abusers!), OpenVZ is an accident waiting to happen. KVM is a must have for any serious application.

EDIT: like I said earlier - a no brainer. This is as far as OpenVZ and KVM goes. Once you throw LXC and Xen PV plus Xen HVM into the mix, the decision tree gets a touch more complicated ;)

• keep the one that you think is sustainable.

• My vote for KVM

• just compare the provider, who do you thinks have better support..
    because your utilization just so low, i thinks not worth comparing openvz or kvm for better uses

• @klanggen said:
    just compare the provider, who do you thinks have better support..
    because your utilization just so low, i thinks not worth comparing openvz or kvm for better uses

GreenValuehosting and Mycustomhosting good for the support

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited November 2013

@klanggen said:
    just compare the provider, who do you thinks have better support..

GreenValuehosting and Mycustomhosting good for the support

• aglodek said: Except the CPU.

Even the disk can be over allocated, as well as the RAM. (thin provisioning) Its just harder to do so in KVM as compared to OpenVZ, and a lot less providers oversell KVM.

aglodek said: CPU is still shared, so this last part is not entirely correct.

As long as the node is under my control (e.g. running OpenVZ node inside a KVM), I prefer OpenVZ. It has many advantages over KVM. OpenVZ is great for sharing resources and making the most of them. Fantastic for taking snapshots/backups and cloning/migrating entire containers. And all that with minimum overhead. However, on some third party provider's node - which is always oversold! - with multiple different users (and abusers!), OpenVZ is an accident waiting to happen. KVM is a must have for any serious application.

EDIT: like I said earlier - a no brainer. This is as far as OpenVZ and KVM goes. Once you throw LXC and Xen PV plus Xen HVM into the mix, the decision tree gets a touch more complicated ;)

Yeah, agreed, the CPU is shared, and there is not much difference in CPU allocation between OpenVZ vs KVM, except the fact that in KVM, the CPU is emulated, which, in theory, must introduce overhead. OpenVZ sure has its pluses, but for personal or business use, I prefer Xen or KVM far more than OpenVZ.