Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin install onto Centos8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin install onto Centos8

Today I installed Directadmin (personal version) onto a Centos vps.
I was amazed that it took close to an hour. I think it compiles every .c and .cpp file in the known universe. And some of those more than once.

At least it works. If you plan to do the same be prepared for the waittttttt.
The vps has 2G of ram. But probably only one processor core.

Comments

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I will wait an hour for not having to deal with EOL in 2024 with Centos 7 :)

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@not_dilligaf said:
    But probably only one processor core.

You should have started your story with this info.

All configuration is still ahead (if you plan setting ssl for hostname, nameservers, anti BF, antiSPAM, firewall) - enjoy your journey.

edited August 2020

@ryanarp said:

Setup on Centos 8 doesn't take any longer than on 7, if you mean that.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

DirectAdmin really need to work on the install Time.... It's Crazy......

We raised a support ticket 2+ Days ago and are still waiting.......

Thanked by 1not_dilligaf
  • @vero said:

@not_dilligaf said:
    But probably only one processor core.

You should have started your story with this info.

All configuration is still ahead (if you plan setting ssl for hostname, nameservers, anti BF, antiSPAM, firewall) - enjoy your journey.

then they required more core
    maybe is their provider overselling VPS?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@experttechit said:

Weekend.

@mhosting_in said:
    then they required more core
    maybe is their provider overselling VPS?

Depends on core, but usually we assume one thread by one core that scores <3000 on Geekbench 4 on average. I think there's two options for using such VPS: you have nerves of steel or you are just running DNS server.

• I compiled onto CentOS 8 with 8GB of RAM and it took an hour or so. But now I run it on Debian 10. I know, it is not recommended, but I found Debian more stable than CentOS.

Those who need fast installation and very few features, CyberPanel might be an option. No more than 10 minutes on 2 core VPS. As for DA - it's worth to wait a bit for such a decent piece of software to install.

• I've always noticed DA takes forever when its compiling PHP, but otherwise you should be golden. Unless you have a potato VPS... It shouldn't be a few hours... The longest I've had it on a 2 core was 30-35 minutes?

• Preinstall ccache - usually helps a lot. ;)

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@vero said:

@ryanarp said:

Setup on Centos 8 doesn't take any longer than on 7, if you mean that.

Simply saying having to wait because you're limited at CPU cores, is not the end of the world when Centos 8 is EOL in 2029. Longer support is worth a little time spent in screen :)

@Clouvider said:

@experttechit said:

Weekend.

Weekend? It’s Monday today. Thought they had 24/7 support any way??

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

@experttechit said: Weekend? It’s Monday today. Thought they had 24/7 support any way??

>
    plesk provides better support ,why everyone obsessed with directadmin

We have an owned license and it works with vps or dedicated server. Supported sorted us out.

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Preinstall ccache - usually helps a lot. ;)

How much of an impact have you seen this make on new installs?

• amadex1337amadex1337 Member
    edited September 2020

I like how it works on CentOS 7 :hushed:

Compiling was about 20 mins with 2 ryzen cores and 10gb ram vps.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited September 2020

@jonathanspw said: How much of an impact have you seen this make on new installs?

I did DirectAdmin ccache compiler caching benchmarks in my DirectAdmin install guide for CentOS 7 at https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/ - near bottom of article. Though ccache only helps for recompiles after ccache compiler caching has been populated.

Step 14. Speeding Up DirectAdmin Compile Times
    DirectAdmin’s installation and update routines and CustomBuild 2.0 rely heavily on source compilation and from my experience with cPanel/WHM and my own Centmin Mod LEMP development and optimizations, there is a huge room for improvement for DirectAdmin compilation speed. The main method is leveraging ccache for compiler caching on subsequent recompiles of same software versions etc (rebuilds). The performance improvement on recompiles can be as much as 30-80% faster in some cases for Nginx and PHP-FPM compilations !

To put this theory to the test, I whipped up a quick wrapper script, directadmin-compiler-bench.sh to time and benchmark DirectAdmin’s Apache, PHP-FPM and Apache + PHP-FPM software via Custombuild 2.0. The script can also dynamically enable compiler optimisations I usually do for Centmin Mod’s Nginx and PHP-FPM source compilation routines – these include using ccache compiler caching and also using newer GCC 8.3 compiler instead of CentOS 7’s native GCC 4.8.5. The ccache compiler cache speeds up source recompilations of the same versions while GCC 8.3 usage would potentially improve the software’s resulting Apache, PHP-FPM binary’s performance – especially for newer cpu models newer than Intel Xeon Broadwell like the newer Intel Xeon Skylake and AMD EPYC based processors.

Basically, for Apache ccache recompiles is ~20% faster, for PHP-FPM is ~72% faster, dovecot ~58% faster etc on 1 cpu core BuyVM KVM Slice VPS

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

@eva2000 said:

@jonathanspw said: How much of an impact have you seen this make on new installs?

I did DirectAdmin ccache compiler caching benchmarks in my DirectAdmin install guide for CentOS 7 at https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/ - near bottom of article. Though ccache only helps for recompiles after ccache compiler caching has been populated.

Step 14. Speeding Up DirectAdmin Compile Times
    DirectAdmin’s installation and update routines and CustomBuild 2.0 rely heavily on source compilation and from my experience with cPanel/WHM and my own Centmin Mod LEMP development and optimizations, there is a huge room for improvement for DirectAdmin compilation speed. The main method is leveraging ccache for compiler caching on subsequent recompiles of same software versions etc (rebuilds). The performance improvement on recompiles can be as much as 30-80% faster in some cases for Nginx and PHP-FPM compilations !

To put this theory to the test, I whipped up a quick wrapper script, directadmin-compiler-bench.sh to time and benchmark DirectAdmin’s Apache, PHP-FPM and Apache + PHP-FPM software via Custombuild 2.0. The script can also dynamically enable compiler optimisations I usually do for Centmin Mod’s Nginx and PHP-FPM source compilation routines – these include using ccache compiler caching and also using newer GCC 8.3 compiler instead of CentOS 7’s native GCC 4.8.5. The ccache compiler cache speeds up source recompilations of the same versions while GCC 8.3 usage would potentially improve the software’s resulting Apache, PHP-FPM binary’s performance – especially for newer cpu models newer than Intel Xeon Broadwell like the newer Intel Xeon Skylake and AMD EPYC based processors.

Basically, for Apache ccache recompiles is ~20% faster, for PHP-FPM is ~72% faster, dovecot ~58% faster etc on 1 cpu core BuyVM KVM Slice VPS

Should've guessed you had something on this lol.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@mustafamw3 said:

@experttechit said: Weekend? It’s Monday today. Thought they had 24/7 support any way??

>
    plesk provides better support ,why everyone obsessed with directadmin

Because Plesk is owned by the some company of cpanel and in 10 years I needed DirectAdmin support only once...?

• jonesolutionsjonesolutions Member
    edited September 2020

@ryanarp said:

I agree on this :)

Of course, the speed will depend on what kind of VPS you have especially if is throttled like crazy. In our case, we didn't have to wait for an hour :)

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

If I am not wrong, CloudLinux still doesn't support CentOS 7. They have a beta for CentOS 8. cPanel also doesn't support CentOS 8.

cPanel / CloudLinux is an integral part of hosting for many providers. I would wait until they offer native support. Even then I will wait a couple of months for the support to mature out and then upgrade to CentOS 8.

Stability and compatibility is more important than using the latest.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

CentOS 8 is definitely mature and stable, if OP doesn't need Cloudlinux and given DirectAdmin officially supports CentOS 8, why should he wait?

Cloudlinux and centos8 running fine here along with JetBackup

• I’ve got Cloudlinux running on all my CentOS 8 servers no issues here