Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
A new Hosted Desktop service - looking for beta testers
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

A new Hosted Desktop service - looking for beta testers

Hi guys,

We have recently launched https://www.virsma.com - cloud hosted Linux desktop service and are looking for beta testers willing to provide us with feedback.

You will be provided with a free desktop for 90 days and option to keep it for free for 1 year if you choose to.

Please let me know if you would like to participate.

Thanks!

https://www.virsma.com - Cloud Desktop Service

Comments

• Count me in!

• Interested to try new desktop service, please count me in :)

• verovero Member, Provider

I guessed, that this would be Lithuanian site and I was close :)

What are possible hosted Linux desktop usage scenarios?

• I will like to take a look .
    Thanks
    Also what is process to apply

• This is interesting. I would love to participate.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Any basic lifetime free package? :wink:

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

Count me in too!

Visit my website || Add me on Discord: Unixfy#3061

• vyas11vyas11 Member

The website is quite limited in information.

Specifics (processor/storage/ security) would be helpful

• Interested!

• Definitely interested.

• TeYroXTeYroX Member

I would like to test it :)

• interested too, thanks

Hi!

• Abdullah7310Abdullah7310 Member, Provider
    edited August 24

Count me in bro, will like to see how it works!
    Is it the normal RDP thing or something else?

• l2o88jl2o88j Member

Count me in

• warihwarih Member

Interested, count me in

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 24

I was looking at this, as I constantly use a remote Linux desktop for work and use it daily, I am curious how well operating with only 2-4GB of memory would be? I use my system daily and use up to 15GB of memory under my normal usage pattern (with 16GB provisioned) between Chrome tabs and work flow -- so it would be interesting to see how well a desktop with only 2-4GB of memory would operate -- one would think 4GB almost the bare minimum to not have the VM just constantly swapping to disk though... I mean you can use Chromium on a 2GB RPi4 for example and it works okay, but if you don't have a SSD connected to it for swapping, after only a few tabs your out of memory and the browser just crashes constantly, so 4GB seems it would be the better 'bottom line' for usability and to prevent IO thrashing for swap..

Looking forward to actually hearing what user experience is like, anecdotally, as I don't have time currently to test this my self.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Have an Allwinner H3 device? Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It! | Atomic Pi - $35 x86 SBC
    21+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting, Administration and Development Services

• count me in

• Sign me up.

• Count me in!

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.baubus.uk
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, HostHatch, HostSailor, HostSolutions, LiteServer, MaxKVM, MrVM, ServaRICA, VirMach.

• Interested! :)

• donkodonko Member

Interested

Get free € 20 Credits to spend in Hetzner Cloud by signing up from my aff link

• sntsnt Member

Data Collection Commencing...

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • Count me in!

• virsmavirsma Member

@vero said:
    I guessed, that this would be Lithuanian site and I was close :)

What are possible hosted Linux desktop usage scenarios?

Most of the modern desktop applications run either in browser or are cross-platform, so if we are able to provide a convenient way to use Linux desktop it will do the job for most of the uses.

@Abdullah7310 said:
    Count me in bro, will like to see how it works!
    Is it the normal RDP thing or something else?

Yes! An encrypted RDP connection, that works with most clients

@vyas11 said:
    The website is quite limited in information.

Specifics (processor/storage/ security) would be helpful

Thanks for a feedback, definitely worth describing in detail.
    We are now using AMD Ryzen or EPYC (depending on the location), but will probably leave with EPYC 2gen CPUs. Storage is running on NVMe.

All connections (including internal ones) are encrypted, backups are saved offsite and our team does not have any access to the desktops (unless customer provides us with one to fix any issues).

@snt said:
    Data Collection Commencing...

That comment was anticipated.
    As stated in our ToS we do not pass any information to third parties, do not inspect or analyze user data for any purposes and are working to get certified in nearest future.

Thanked by 2Abdullah7310 Ganonk

• hzrhzr Member, Moderator

Sure coiunt me in

• created account and waiting for invitation

• MurvMurv Member

Interesting. Count me in too.

100% certified man of culture

• Count me in

• rattlecattlerattlecattle Member
    edited August 24

Anything about GPU specs or is it entirely CPU rendered?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Count me in!

• GanonkGanonk Member

i hope you will be count me in too, Sir. thanks you

kuat dilakoni, ra kuat tinggal ngopi

• scookescooke Member

Wow. Count me in also, I guess!

• Please offer Bitcoin or cryptocurrency as payment option.

• donlidonli Member

I would like to participate.

• amsaalamsaal Member

count me in.

• count me in..

• add_iTadd_iT Member

I would like to try it

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • jadenjaden Member

Interested

• I will try it

• jrheilandjrheiland Member, Provider

Count me in! I'd be interested in the specs like the others too :)

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@virsma

Thanks for the Details on specifications. I have signed up

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • @virsma

Count me in.

• fLoofLoo Member

So this is where my valuable desktop data goes to? Ahm no, i'll pass. Sorry. I'm really looking forward that you'll get certifications in any way. Further:

"We will store your personal data on secure servers, personal computers and mobile devices [...]".

I'm really NOT looking forward to have my personal data on other personal computers - LOL.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • ^^ those are some nice balcony though,

EVERYTHING IS MUCH BETTER THAN IT WAS 1 YEAR AGO

• virsmavirsma Member

@fLoo said:

So this is where my valuable desktop data goes to? Ahm no, i'll pass. Sorry. I'm really looking forward that you'll get certifications in any way. Further:

"We will store your personal data on secure servers, personal computers and mobile devices [...]".

I'm really NOT looking forward to have my personal data on other personal computers - LOL.

This is the building where the legal address of the company is registered. This is also home address of one of the co-founders. I don't see anything wrong with not using any shady methods to hide it.

Obviously this place does not have any production equipment. But as mentioned in a comment above - balconies are nice!

@theblackesthat said:
    Please offer Bitcoin or cryptocurrency as payment option.

Thanks, will consider this!

@rattlecattle said:
    Anything about GPU specs or is it entirely CPU rendered?

It's currently entirely CPU rendered, but we will have GPU options in the future

• I would like to try :)

• Plus 1. Count me too

• Would love to participate! :smile:

• virsmavirsma Member

Thanks a lot everyone! We have reached our beta program goal!

We will contact each participant during upcoming couple of days with details how to proceed.

Thanked by 1Ganonk

• thedpthedp Member
    edited August 25

@virsma said:

@fLoo said:

This is the building where the legal address of the company is registered. This is also home address of one of the co-founders. I don't see anything wrong with not using any shady methods to hide it.

Obviously this place does not have any production equipment. But as mentioned in a comment above - balconies are nice!

First thing's first, congratulations on your product launch and welcome to LowEndTalk :) It's an interesting product that a number of people here are looking forward to test, and could potentially end up being your customers in future.

With all this going on, and this being your first post here, I'm not sure if people here already know you or your company, but I personally don't, and I can't find anything about the background of your company/business on your website besides your company's number/registration details.

Since you'll be providing services here, although trial and for beta testers, don't you want to at least introduce yourself (company/business) to the community?

Thanked by 1plumberg

Looking for IT/Tech/Hosting-related Domain Names? Send me a PM here or on Discord (DP#3914)
    Current Auction(s): HostedTalk