Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Find me a server!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Find me a server!

AmplificatorAmplificator Member
edited August 2020 in Requests

I need a dedicated server with at least 32GB RAM (no noodles), 2x 128GB SSD's and 2x 2TB SSD's.

I have searched high and low but apparently this configuration is difficult to find.

Maybe you are better at the interwebz than I am and can find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

In Europe of course :)

Comments

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Whats budget? CPU Cores?

• At least 4 cores.. Budget, as cheap as possible of course, but I'm aiming at 70 euros max. Am I being too cheap for such a config?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Hetzner.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @thedp said:
    Hetzner.

Can't even find such a config at Hetzner for some reason.. I've sent them a mail about customizing one though.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

@Amplificator said:
    At least 4 cores.. Budget, as cheap as possible of course, but I'm aiming at 70 euros max. Am I being too cheap for such a config?

Will be hard. BUT theres always Hetzner etc.
    Maybe HDs are something you would consider?

I found this:

Hetzner
    Intel Core i7-920
    2x HDD SATA 2,0 TB Enterprise
    2x SSD SATA 240 GB
    6x RAM 8192 MB DDR3
    Standort: FSN1
    https://robot.your-server.de/order/serverAuth/id/3

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Isn't Hetzner an option for you?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I need the two large drives to be SSD, which is the problem. I need multiple users to read from it at the same time and spinning rust will be too slow.

• @nullnothere said:
    Isn't Hetzner an option for you?

If you can point me to a server at Hetzner that is ready, with the drive config I Need, then yes :)

• @Amplificator said: spinning rust will be too slow

Why don't you add a caching layer (maybe on NVMe drives along with decent RAM)?

Without really understanding the specifics it's hard to proffer better advice.

Why the 2x drives - for raid-1 or for space (raid-0)?

You can add additional drives to the Hetzner boxes you know right?

• @nullnothere said:

@Amplificator said: spinning rust will be too slow

Is the same true for the auction servers?

edited August 2020

@nullnothere said:

@Amplificator said: spinning rust will be too slow

Why don't you add a caching layer (maybe on NVMe drives along with decent RAM)?

Without really understanding the specifics it's hard to proffer better advice.

Why the 2x drives - for raid-1 or for space (raid-0)?

yes but if you check, with that config will be much more then 70€.
    If you add at Hetzner 1x 1,92TB SSD, is alone 25€, its 50€ just for the SSDs.
    OP needs to increase budget.

Well the 2x2TB SSD thing is the problem indeed. I cant do it either for so low.
    2TB SSDs are more pricey.

• @HostSlick said: yes but if you check, with that config will be much more then 70€.

Yup - very likely. That's why I was wondering if the 2x was for redundancy or actual space.

As you say, it's a tough budget if the real need is genuinely 4TB of SSD class storage but I'm very skeptical on that though. With some intelligent caching, it should be possible to manage without that much SSD space but then again, I don't know enough...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited August 2020

@nullnothere said:
    but then again, I don't know enough...

Well, I need to host a hundred (internal) websites. Low-to-moderate traffic, but when it's added up, won't HDD's be too slow for such a thing? Perhaps RAID?

• AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited August 2020

@Amplificator said:

@nullnothere said:
    but then again, I don't know enough...

Well, I need to host a hundred (internal) websites. Low-to-moderate traffic, but when it's added up, won't HDD's be too slow for such a thing? Perhaps RAID?

My plan was to run ZFS mirror on the 2 small disks and also mirror for the 2x 2TB SSD's. Brilliant, no?

EDIT: I'm a moron and quoted myself instead of editing, sorry :P

• nullnotherenullnothere Member
    edited August 2020

@Amplificator said: I need to host a hundred websites. Low traffic

I really don't see any reason why this kind of a use case needs 2TB of SSDs.

With enough RAM to cache the "hot pages" (at the OS level, nothing fancy), and factoring in typical internet latency (and maybe even adding CDN type caching) I am really confused on why you need SSDs for this.

If you're going to be using ZFS, invest in an NVMe drive (and lots of RAM) to get ARC+L2ARC and that should pretty much be the end of the discussion.

You're really overreaching (from my understanding) if you're really talking about websites (and that too low-to-moderate traffic as you say).

EDIT-ADD: Since it's websites I assume they are not even modified that often - so you're really talking about read-heavy traffic which lends itself very nicely to caching at all levels.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • So at Leaseweb I can get this, https://www.leaseweb.com/dedicated-server/configure/29892?configurationToken=42af3a0c436fb6e93be6c23b

2x 240GB in mirror
    5x 2TB in RAIDZ2
    1x 240GB L2ARC

ZIL won't be needed, I just need decent read speeds.

Do you think that would be sufficient in terms of read speed then?

It's even cheaper than I planned for.

• @Amplificator said: Do you think that would be sufficient in terms of read speed then?

Looks good to me and I'd say go for it. It's nice to see that you managed to find something well below your budget.

You may not even need the extra 240GB for L2ARC - you can likely piggy back on the left over space from the 2x240 but that's really nit picking and over optimizing.

Good luck!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Thanks for your help :)

• ederleziederlezi Member
    edited August 2020

Not exactly what you were looking for but you can check ovh or soyoustart.
    With extra budget you can find better server on ovh (https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-ie/bare-metal/rise/rise-1/)

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2020

2x2 TB SSD ? Of course it will cost you arm and leg.

• NetCup Root Server or VPS? 2TB of RAID-10 SSD at 46 or 39 euro, respectively, with 64GB of RAM.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@Amplificator said:
    I need a dedicated server with at least 32GB RAM (no noodles), 2x 128GB SSD's and 2x 2TB SSD's.

I have searched high and low but apparently this configuration is difficult to find.

Maybe you are better at the interwebz than I am and can find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

In Europe of course :)

We do have this specific config in Germany Here

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

You need no ZFS nor 2TB SSDs. My suggestion:

• CPU as needed
    • RAM The more the better. 32GB sounds sensible.
    • "main disks" dual SSD or preferably dual NVMe (Raid 1)
    • Large data disks just decent spindles (Raid 1)

Raid 1 can be done at virtually zero cost by linux or BSD. Use a caching web server and give it plenty cache on a RAM disk. Also move the hottest 100 or so GB of web data from the spindles to the main drive SSD/NVMe.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2020

OP : you can get 256GB ram hexacore Xeon on Hetzner auction for 55 euros.

Add 2x5 euro ssd drives for zfs write cache(ZIL) .
    add 2x2TB hdd as zfs mirror.

256GB of ECC will be cache everything hot in ARC cache.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • 64GB DDR Ram
    Intel® Core™ i7-6700
    2x512GB NVMe
    $68 Monthly - $40 for the first setup
    is that good enough for you?

• No, but I've gone in a slightly different direction. Leaseweb seems to have what I need :)