Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud Computing - How much bandwidth is required?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud Computing - How much bandwidth is required?

Hello,

I am currently considering setting up a couple servers in a DC to create a cloud computing environment through open stack. My question is if I need a lot of internal speed for file transfer between storage nodes, cpu nodes, ram nodes, etc... So 1Gbps, 10Gbps, 40Gbps? What would be a decent port speed for this requirements. As I want to have a fast i/o speeds and a very high performance.

Regards!

Comments

• For storage node maybe 10 Gbps port. But still depend on your requirement I think

• Yes, it depends on your requirement, eg how many computing nodes connect to storage nodes, etc. But the faster the better. You may consider Infiniband 40Gbps or more.

• Well, I guess it also depends on the kind of storage right? If I were to use HDD I think it would not make any sense to deploy 40Gbps speeds as it would bottleneck with read/write speeds of around 200MB/s or 1Gbps.

Equally raided NVMe storage has a lower performance. So I guess I would be seeing speeds of top 800MB/s

Thanks for your input. I will start by around 5-10Gbps as the equipment for 40Gbps is crazy expensive.

• Webdock_ioWebdock_io Member, Host Rep

Nothing beats on-board storage, especially on-board nvme - some providers (Netapp, Qumulo) have started coming out with (very high end) storage solutions that close the gap greatly, but those are crazy expensive and will still give you higher latency than on-board storage.

• I totally agree, but that would be very high end and a bit expensive to do.