Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi?

u4iau4ia Member
edited February 2012 in General

Nothing like a good old fashioned DDoS :) They had to have known they would get more traffic than they could handle.

Comments

• Yup, tried and failed. :(

• this launch was planned pretty sucky

• Agreed. My first thought was, WTF, I already know these sites won't handle the load.

• :( Tried and failed. So who got one?

• I tried too - the site didn't work, wasn't surprised. Still no luck for me.

• I didn't get one. Oh well, it's 2:05am and I have to get up at 5:30am for work. Good night all :)

• I knew it would be worse than buyvm. I skipped class for nothing.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2012

Funny how Farnell's site went down too. I bet they weren't prepared for this ;-)

Maybe the raspberry PI foundation should just offload some sales to sites like DealExtreme and BuyInCoins.

• I knew it would be worse than buyvm. I skipped class for nothing.

You skipped class for this?! XD

• @dnom said: I knew it would be worse than buyvm. I skipped class for nothing.

Stay home and make a day off out of it

• Forgot, then tried, and failed. One day... ;)

• Part of me wants to know if there will be a new "low end" market for these once they become main stream... I'd hope so...

• Yeah i've been trying to get one. Shame RS and Farnell dont seem to have listened to the raspi people when they said they would get a lot of traffic! Not what you expect from distributors that big really. the rasberrypi.org site has been fine tho ironically.

• Yeah, raspberry pi 's static site loads really well. Farnell and RS should have expected loads and loads of traffic.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited February 2012

which one is more powerful, 128MB KVM, or 256MB - 700MHz Raspberry Pi? :)

• I was going to order from Farnell, but then I did the math, and found out that they're charging $42 for it, instead of the $35 that its supposed to be. Not cool.

• The only problem per-se with these being LEBs is that the maximum write speed is going to be 10 MB/s because of limitations of the SD card. However for website hosting, I think a PI would be fun...

• Anybody has a direct link to the farnell and rs-online page?

• Keep in mind that for the time being it is UK customers only. RS refers you to an 'express interest' page and Farnell doesn't even have a US site (Going through the order process on the UK site you must enter a UK based address for delivery). Unless I am missing something painfully obvious somewhere?

• When you first open farnell.com it asks you about your country. You probably have a cookie set, that's why you are directly redirected to their UK site.

• US orders: http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/dp/83T1943

Note that there's an additional $20 fee for shipping and a 30 day lead time.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Availability: 0
    Well, 35 $ is quite a price for Eastern Europe, even without shipping and stuff, however, I hope in time they will become more widely available and coming to a store near me :)
    M

• @NickM said: Note that there's an additional $20 fee for shipping and a 30 day lead time.

$20 for shipping? They can't be serious ... I'd say it's $5 (at most) for shipping and $15 profit. Also, $55 is a bit more than $25, but people are ready to pay whatever it takes for it just for the bragging rights. Makes no sense to me ...

@liam How much did it cost at the end? Farnell site is Internal Error-ing on me.

• Finally managed to get an order in with Farnell. Have to wait a few weeks i guess while they build some more.

• @vedran said: $20 for shipping? They can't be serious

Ehh it's Newark, they've been massively overcharging for shipping for as long as i've been alive :)

• Arghh, I missed it. angst

• Dont worry someone has listed a preorder on ebay for "only" £999!

http://tinyurl.com/78ga6ns

• @Deor said: Dont worry someone has listed a preorder on ebay for "only" £999!

I hope he realizes that he'll have to pay the EBay fees, even when noone buys it :D

• @vedran said: $20 for shipping? They can't be serious

$55 total, meh, who cares, if I get one in a month I have something to play with and evaluate. It's just 1, if I am buying 100, I'm going to be thrifty and cut every corner I can get away with.

• On twitter, they are warning against scams on eBay who pretend to sell Raspi devices. Beware!!