Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your personal experience - mariadb or mysql?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your personal experience - mariadb or mysql?

flexflex Member

I'm not sure which one to use at the moment. of course you can find a lot of answers in the web but what are your personal experiences and tips. in the backend a server with Intel Xeon X3440 4C/8T @2.53 GHz 16GB DDR3 and nginx is running. It is only used for private purposes with less than 100 views per day. when does it make sense to use one of both solutions

Comments

• With only 100 views a day i would take the sql engine which is part of your linux distribution. The difference is mostly for big data or high performance needs.

Thanked by 1flex
  • nemnem Member, Host Rep

I'd hope you're not paying for that power otherwise downsize to something more economical for your load.

Both are fine. More important issue is ensuring updates are patched through in a timely process. I've gone from MySQL to Percona to MariaDB... and frankly might switch back to MySQL after 8 stabilizes. MySQL had intractable corruption issues with group quotas and MyISAM tables beginning in 4.0. Percona didn't fix any of it. MariaDB fixed those issues but introduced new ones with InnoDB. Now background table checks randomly fail to fire, not withholding they've released some stinker bugs like MDEV-20987.

Thanked by 2flex vimalware
  • flexflex Member

thanks again for the feedback. as mentioned it makes no difference if you use mariadb or mysql for private purposes. the reason for this question is of course to know when you should bet on what. to the question of payment... the server itself is used for backend processes so it needs this power. database and webserver are only additional small players of mine.

A couple decades later futzing with MySQL derivations... I’d give Postgres a serious look if it’s interoperable with your stack. It provides much better json capability and from my empirical use, better stability.

• mywebhostingmywebhosting Member, Host Rep

@flex said:
    I'm not sure which one to use at the moment. of course you can find a lot of answers in the web but what are your personal experiences and tips. in the backend a server with Intel Xeon X3440 4C/8T @2.53 GHz 16GB DDR3 and nginx is running. It is only used for private purposes with less than 100 views per day. when does it make sense to use one of both solutions

I prefer mariadb because it has much improved query optimizer.

Thanked by 1flex
  • @nem said: but introduced new ones with InnoDB.

Do you prefer InnoDB over MyISAM? If so, why?
    I'm having a WP site with 15K posts and recently switched to InnoDB.

Thanked by 1flex
  • @JasonM said: Do you prefer InnoDB over MyISAM? If so, why?

depends on your fulltext indexes, how refequently you insert/update the table etc

Thanked by 2JasonM flex
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

InnoDB has more mature backup tools IMHO (Xtrabackup / innobackupex) and more advanced locking mechanism. It's not really an argument there.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2020

For 100 views /day its hardly mater. Even shared hosting will suffice. You don't even need Xeon.

Thanked by 1flex

@JasonM said:

@nem said: but introduced new ones with InnoDB.

Do you prefer InnoDB over MyISAM? If so, why?
    I'm having a WP site with 15K posts and recently switched to InnoDB.

Always pick the right tool for the job. Need referential integrity? InnoDB. Need fulltext search? MyISAM/ARIA. Need row-level locking? InnoDB. With MyISAM, updates block all reads to the table until completion. InnoDB blocks on the record. This can be particularly felt if you have a high traffic site. Schema developer high on drugs at the time and figured each record should consist of 1,016+ 8 byte fields? MyISAM.

At this level of maturity, I don't believe - besides fulltext searches and huge records (> 8126 bytes) - there's anything MyISAM does particularly well.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@nem said: Schema developer high on drugs at the time and figured each record should consist of 1,016+ 8 byte fields? MyISAM.

I see you've worked as a DBA before...

@raindog308 said:

@nem said: Schema developer high on drugs at the time and figured each record should consist of 1,016+ 8 byte fields? MyISAM.

I see you've worked as a DBA before...

Not by choice, platform developer for 18 years. Ends up turning into a cross-functional opportunity where there's zounds to learn and tons of edge cases in production between different services that you either resolve/learn from or doom yourself into failure. Fringe benefit is it teaches you all this useful terminology you get to use once a year.

• For your volume of use, it does not really matter.

Thanked by 1flex
  • MySQL, because more tutorial available on the net

Thanked by 1flex
  • I run phpBB with MariaDB 5.5 now. It works with MySQL 5.5. There's no problem switching between these two versions. For simple and small applications, I guess both derivatives work well.

Thanked by 1flex
  • I'm using mariadb because I do not like current mysql's owner. Whatever Oracle gets in hands, that's dying slowly. They have long tradition of burying good software (openoffice, staroffice, opensolaris, java, opensso, etc).

No doubt mysql is going to be next. If for nothing else, then because it stands against their own flagship product. Either they try to "commercialize" mysql to squeeze some money from it, or they will dump it and "motivate" current users to switch to oracledb...

Thanked by 1flex
  • @JasonM said: Do you prefer InnoDB over MyISAM? If so, why?

I use a database with both MyISAM an InnoDB - the choice is made by table not by database.
    Don't know if it's a recommended use (never cared) but, for my use case, it's the best combo performance wise.

Thanked by 2flex JasonM
  • fkjfkj Member

There's really no difference b/w mariadb and mysql at this level, assuming you are hosting everything yourself. Generally, there's the consideration on which distro-specific function you plan to use, e.g. JSON handling in mariadb and mysql are quite different. Also, (not really a LowEndTopic), cloud service providers usually offers tweaked RDS, e.g. AWS Aurora is entirely compatible with mysql, not mariadb, so if you plan to move to cloud someday, do some research now, it will save you times in the future.

Thanked by 1flex
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited August 2020

Been using MariaDB for past 9yrs for my Centmin Mod LEMP stacks but have a MariaDB to MySQL 8.0 switching script I use for clients who need MySQL 8.

I wrote a MariaDB vs Percona vs Oracle MySQL thread sticky for my Centmin Mod LEMP users that might be useful for folks at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/mariadb-mysql-vs-oracle-mysql-vs-percona-mysql.13853/

FYI, MySQL 8 no longer support minor version rollbacks unlike previous versions.

But for 4C/8T cpu with 100 views/day, it isn't going to make much difference what you use. Usually, it doesn't matter what you use but how you configure it :)

Thanked by 2rick2610 flex
  • Postgres obviously…

Thanked by 2OhJohn flex
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

For 100 views/day you could use sqlite :p

Thanked by 2flex rcy026
  • @raindog308 said:

For 100 views a day you could use a blackboard.

Thanked by 3raindog308 chip flex
  • I use what comes with Debian. So MySQL at first, then MariaDB. I saw no difference "for my basic usage".

In the old times, I was compiling MySQL myself, but once I screwed up, since I stick with what comes with my distribution, one less problem :)

Thanked by 1flex
  • My vote goes to MariaDB :)

Thanked by 1flex
  • @raindog308 said:

That was my first thought also.
    100 views a day is nothing, you would probably be just as fast with plain text files.

I often feel that sqlite is underappreciated. For simple tasks and low volume databases it is actually really useful, and the simplicity of it is just amazing.

Thanked by 1flex
  • I use whatever the OS provides by default.

Thanked by 1flex
  • @laoban said:
    I use whatever the OS provides by default.

This.
    Both provide reasonable performance and quick bug updates. Just use what comes with your OS for fastest updates in case you need to update. Rebuild Mariadb/MySQL just for bugs fixing is suck.

Thanked by 1flex
  • Both work the same for my need. But I use MariaDB, just because I support them.

Thanked by 1flex