Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any suggestions for personal todo / task management tool?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any suggestions for personal todo / task management tool?

FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
edited August 2020 in Help

I have difficulty prioritising too many stuff by using brain now so I think it is better for me to have a more structured list, I used to use a plain txt file but it is still somewhat troublesome.

• Must be fully self-hosted / self-contained (Can be a native App but network access is restricted)
  • Must be able to set recurring events (eg. check something every day, every 2 days etc)
  • Must Good to be open-sourced
  • Good to have a simple and working UI (preferably Web), but can be pure CLI (like todo.txt cli)
  • Good to have network sync feature, but is fine without it
  • Good to have export feature (Database export is also fine) in case I decided to switch to other tool

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks :)

Thanked by 1alexvolk

Comments

• Google keep if you are ok with google knowing what you are doing but, Google keep really has very good mobile app better than most competition

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@codelock said:
    Google keep if you are ok with google knowing what you are doing but, Google keep really has very good mobile app better than most competition

Thanks but Google already knows too much about me so I am trying to restrict the reliant on Google services

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

MyLifeOrganized for thematic organization. Pen and paper for immediate tasks.

Thanked by 2FAT32 Neil-SF
  • I just cannot be without my notebook, pen and paper just works for me. Having it next to me all of the time helps to keep me focused too.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • I believe https://taskwarrior.org/ should fulfil your needs. It's cli based, there's a third party web app also https://inthe.am/about.

I've personally started using todoist, it has a third party cli, recurring tasks and integrates with Google Calendar (against "already knows too much about me so I am trying to restrict the reliant on Google services")

Thanked by 1FAT32

@nem said:
    MyLifeOrganized for thematic organization. Pen and paper for immediate tasks.

Thanks, MyLifeOrganized seems to be very powerful and advanced, let me check it out :)

@Adam1 said:
    I just cannot be without my notebook, pen and paper just works for me. Having it next to me all of the time helps to keep me focused too.

For me, I feel that pen and paper is useful for meetings and brainstorming ideas, but it is not systematic enough and hard to find or modify after you have written it.

@jetchirag said:
    I believe https://taskwarrior.org/ should fulfil your needs. It's cli based, there's a third party web app also https://inthe.am/about.

I've personally started using todoist, it has a third party cli, recurring tasks and integrates with Google Calendar (against "already knows too much about me so I am trying to restrict the reliant on Google services")

Yup TaskWarrior seems like a great choice but my first thought is they are not actively maintained (Last release 2018), nevertheless will try it out :)

Todoist is one of the top in this field but sadly it is cloud based

• nemnem Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2020

To that point, there's two observed phenomenon, Zeigarnik and Ovsiankina effects. Writing things down, acting as a mental conduit from your brain to long-term transcription, really decreases your cognitive load. I'll run tasks on a planner from page to page until they're finally completed and the reward from striking through a topic is incredibly relieving (likewise running page-to-page is agitating). This system also sets a firm cap of how many topics I can track concurrently. For long-term objectives, I send them to MLO or a feature tracker.

Journaling also doubles as a work log if you need concrete evidence of prior art.

Thanked by 3nullnothere Adam1 FAT32
  • Check out Joplin, open source, has desktop and mobile clients, actively developed.

• edited August 2020

Nextcloud Tasks + Calendar work great if you already have a Nextcloud instance.

• @FAT32 said: I have difficulty prioritizing too many stuff by using brain now, so I think I should have a more structured list, I used to use a plain text file, but it is still somewhat troublesome.

No, you need to rest, and maybe visit a doctor if you feel tired and sleepy all the time because of potential depression. It will help much better than any GTD/Task lists, todo lists, etc. Trust me, I already faced this shit. I was searching for methods on how to boost my productivity while the problem was not with productivity at all, but with depression, hard, deep, invisible depression.

Because I was already eaten a dog in this shit, I can recommend for you several solutions:

QtodoTxt

• (<= 1.9.0 versions, because, after 1.9.0, the software becomes a piece of shit).
    • self-hosted apps for different devices. Very easy to use. Files stored locally. Hotkeys, tray, and bla bla bla.

Microsoft ToDo

• You will smile, but their app very good. It can work offline and online, but Microsoft account required.

Quire.io

• If you think "something missing" for you, and you believe that your productivity wrong because of a toolkit, etc. shit and not because of depression, I strongly recommend starting with https://quire.io

Why?

• It's free
    • It has all features that you can even imagine in todo apps
    • It can work offline and online
    • It has apps for different devices
    • It has notifications, excellent team management, real-time notifications, and bla bla bla
    • It has online features, kanban shit, deadlines, and many, many, many other things.
    • https://quire.io/tutorial
    • I can guarantee that you will NOT find anything that has even close features that offer this cool, free tool. I tried dozens of apps. Any other tool not even close. Also, they listen to feedback and continuously improve their app.

You can start with this shit, and after a time realize (if you have depression), that toolkit/task lists / etc. piece of shit - does not important at all.

If you have a passion for what you do, you do not need a todo list at all because you will remember what to do when you need to do that (maybe some notification app still required, but only for notifications), and you will know how to start and what to do.

Good luck!

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Using simplenote. Its really fast and easy coming from Evernote.

For team and projects use Notion. It can be slow but it got the features I need.

• @definitelyliam said:
    Nextcloud Tasks + Calendar work great if you already have a Nextcloud instance.

+1 , I use Nextcloud Tasks with iOS for daily todos

• +1 Google Keep.

I personally use a combination of Google Keep, Google Calendar and a markdown file with 3 sections - high, medium, low priority

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@desperand said: I strongly recommend starting with https://quire.io

With this illustration on their home page? Forget it. Didn't even look further.

• Webdock_ioWebdock_io Member, Host Rep

Trello might be able to solve some/most of the challenges presented here - however it's not self-hosted and open source so that's probably already a dealbreaker for you :)

• RestyaBoard maybe? I've been testing it for a while now.

• I just say " Hey siri " and every thing is done :)

• @raindog308 said:

@desperand said: I strongly recommend starting with https://quire.io

With this illustration on their home page? Forget it. Didn't even look further.

That's moosist. Or Caribouist? He's chill AF, what do you got against that?

@TimboJones said:

He looks like the Greek god of gay moose, relaxing after an evening of rubbing horns in a steam bath.

• @raindog308 said:

@TimboJones said:

He looks like the Greek god of gay moose, relaxing after an evening of rubbing horns in a steam bath.

Again, what's the problem? If I was a gay moose, that'd be the life to shoot for.

Thanked by 1skorous

I bet his name is Bulltwinkle.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • The best one was Wunderlist and not only for personal tasks. "Was" because Microsoft aquired and killed it in favor of their ToDo (crappy).

WL dev(-s) promised to launch a new app.

For self-hosted option you can try Orgzly.

Another similar app (service) is WorkFlowy.

Wow, and I thought "Toodledo" was a horrible name.

Thanked by 2TimboJones 1allen
  • @raindog308 said: With this illustration on their home page? Forget it. Didn't even look further.

wew. I don't know what to say, because you for sure will use your moderator permissions to ban me if i will say that. But telling about best in the market app that this is piece of shit because of image that you found, which is not related anyhow to instrument - it's IQ 50 masterpiece.

@desperand said: I don't know what to say, because you for sure will use your moderator permissions to ban me if i will say that.

Oh yeah, that's totally my style.

@desperand said: But telling about best in the market app that this is piece of shit because of image that you found, which is not related anyhow to instrument - it's IQ 50 masterpiece.

It's a bizarre image. And I don' think I said the app is a "piece of shit"...?

Everyone takes me so seriously.

Well, bans for everyone.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • t0mt0m Member
    edited August 2020

I use TinyToDo (https://www.mytinytodo.net/) for simple multiple task lists.