Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding changing disk in hetzner.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question regarding changing disk in hetzner.

One of my drives has a reallocated sector, before it gets worse, i plan to change the harddisk. I did it once before without taking backups for a gpt partition and i got lucky. Just incase i am not lucky this time, i plan to take a backup.

Does following the backup instructions here suffice?

https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/raid/exchanging-hard-disks-in-a-software-raid/

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2020

That should cover it - but it doesn't cover the backup side of it.

EDIT: Yes, that covers the backup of MBR/GPT etc. Thought you meant the general backup of the drive.

Will Hetzner change a disk based on a reallocated sector? Thought they wanted a bit more evidence the drive is damaged?

Thanked by 1Thundas
  • amarcamarc Veteran

In my experience with them so far (at least 10 replaced disks), Hetzner does not ask much questions. Just write support ticket, be sure to write correct serial number and give them timeframe when they can do this. I even got this done in ~30 min. from reporting on Sunday morning.

Thanked by 1Thundas
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    That should cover it - but it doesn't cover the backup side of it.

EDIT: Yes, that covers the backup of MBR/GPT etc. Thought you meant the general backup of the drive.

Will Hetzner change a disk based on a reallocated sector? Thought they wanted a bit more evidence the drive is damaged?

Thanks for confirming my doubts, i thought a reallocated sector is one of the signs that a drive will start to go bad.

I've not had a disk replaced with them yet but I'd heard they wouldn't replace a "working" disk.

Reallocated sectors can be a sign things aren't 100% but a drive can continue to work with some reallocated sectors.

• Until you see the failures in smart or proven to them as drive is faulty, they won't replace even if drive is 50k hours old or worn out SSD.

That is the other good side of choosing OVH/SYS/KS.

If it adds any reassurance I've got a drive in a Hetzner server with 2 reallocated sectors and just shy of 72k hours on it that seems to work fine lol.

Thanked by 1Thundas
  • I've had a total of 37 disk replacements at Hetzner, all due to reallocated sectors or write endurance reached - it has been replaced every single time. No questions asked.

Thanked by 2Thundas PUSHR_Victor