Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
password manager that works on all ? Free open source?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

password manager that works on all ? Free open source?

lowfanlowfan Member

OK I have tried many but I need to know what you guys use , open source
password manager that works on Mac, Windows, iphone and android ? I have all those devices

Comments

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    Self-hostable on your own VM, too :-)

    image

    Thanked by 3lokuzard lowfan Ouji

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

  • RedSoxRedSox Member

    KeePassXC is prem

    Thanked by 2lowfan poisson
  • lowfanlowfan Member
    edited July 28

    @RedSox said:
    KeePassXC is prem

    Have you used it? Does it work with keypass database? works with iphone and andriod?

  • lowfanlowfan Member

    @raindog308 said:

    Self-hostable on your own VM, too :-)

    Thanks , I did not find the self hosted script there.

  • TejyTejy Member

    Bitwarden with premium subscription (if you want to support dev tem) or BitwardenRS, if you already have an empty vps...

  • lowfanlowfan Member

    @Tejy said:
    Bitwarden with premium subscription (if you want to support dev tem) or BitwardenRS, if you already have an empty vps...

    Thanks I already have a lot of password in keepass . does it work?

  • GaleejGaleej Member

    @lowfan said:

    @Tejy said:
    Bitwarden with premium subscription (if you want to support dev tem) or BitwardenRS, if you already have an empty vps...

    Thanks I already have a lot of password in keepass . does it work?

    You can import from Keepass to Bitwarden. I migrated around 1000 entries from Keepass to Bitwarden_rs.

    Hosthatch | Hetzner | Nexusbytes| intoVPS | Racknerd($18/Yr - 50GB Shared Hosting) | HostUS | Clouveo | MyW (Lifetime EUR 8)

  • lowfanlowfan Member

    @Galeej said:

    @lowfan said:

    @Tejy said:
    Bitwarden with premium subscription (if you want to support dev tem) or BitwardenRS, if you already have an empty vps...

    Thanks I already have a lot of password in keepass . does it work?

    You can import from Keepass to Bitwarden. I migrated around 1000 entries from Keepass to Bitwarden_rs.

    But it seems it is on cloud. I never put password on the web :)

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    @lowfan said: Thanks , I did not find the self hosted script there.

    https://bitwarden.com/#download

    Scroll down to "host it yourself"

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator
    edited July 28

    @lowfan said: But it seems it is on cloud. I never put password on the web

    Then you're not going to be able to sync between all those devices.

    All of these different solutions use an encrypted vault so you really shouldn't have a concern about using some kind of cloud storage.

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited July 28

    @lowfan said:

    @RedSox said:
    KeePassXC is prem

    Have you used it? Does it work with keypass database? works with iphone and andriod?

    I've been using it since the beginning of 2019. Works fine. It should be working with keypass databases. There are at least 2 apps for android that work with KeePassXC databases: Keepass2Android and KeePassDX. The second one looks better and modern.

  • lowfanlowfan Member
    edited July 28

    @raindog308 said:

    @lowfan said: But it seems it is on cloud. I never put password on the web

    Then you're not going to be able to sync between all those devices.

    All of these different solutions use an encrypted vault so you really shouldn't have a concern about using some kind of cloud storage.

    Yes I understand what you mean , I am fine with dropbox

  • saibalsaibal Member

    BitWarden is prem. Not exactly lightweight though.

  • muffinmuffin Member

    @saibal said:
    BitWarden is prem. Not exactly lightweight though.

    I’m running bitwarden_rs instead of the official one for myself, and I find it very lightweight

    Thanked by 2saibal Ouji
  • RedSoxRedSox Member

    @muffin said: I’m running bitwarden_rs instead of the official one for myself, and I find it very lightweight

    How much RAM does it take?

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    @RedSox said: How much RAM does it take?

    Min recommended is 4GB according to BW. The solution is docker-based and it runs SQL Server in Docker as one of its components, which takes some RAM.

    Thanked by 2RedSox vimalware

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

  • EHRAEHRA Member

    RECOMMENDED MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (Bitwarden)
    Processor: x64, 2 GHz dual core
    Memory: 4 GB RAM (system memory)
    Storage: 25 GB
    Docker: Engine 19+ and Compose 1.24+

    https://bitwarden.com/help/article/install-on-premise/#system-requirements

    Thanked by 1RedSox
  • RedSoxRedSox Member

    Swizzin recommends almost the same configuration but I use it on 1 core 1 gb ram...

  • saibalsaibal Member

    @muffin said: I’m running bitwarden_rs instead of the official one for myself, and I find it very lightweight

    I was talking about vanilla BitWarden, not the Rust implementation.

  • majesticmajestic Member

    @muffin said:

    @saibal said:
    BitWarden is prem. Not exactly lightweight though.


    I’m running bitwarden_rs instead of the official one for myself, and I find it very lightweight

    Personally also use bitwarden_rs with mysql and have been for a long time now with 2fa.

    docker stats bitwarden bitwarden-db --no-stream
    CONTAINER ID        NAME                CPU %               MEM USAGE / LIMIT    MEM %               NET I/O             BLOCK I/O           PIDS
    e145c9f68b07        bitwarden           0.00%               40.49MiB / 7.59GiB   0.52%               9.28MB / 16.2MB     2.84MB / 0B         16
    bbbf5e59b51e        bitwarden-db        0.05%               90.83MiB / 7.59GiB   1.17%               22.1MB / 34.7MB     14MB / 26.3MB       19
    

    While, you can squeeze it in less, I prefer having real mysql backend vs sqllite as it makes backups easier for one plus less chance of corruption.

    You would need something like..

    docker-compose.yml

    ---
    version: '3.8'
    
    networks:
      backend:
        external:
          name: backend
    
    services:
      bitwarden-db:
        image: mariadb:10.5.3
        container_name: bitwarden-db
        restart: unless-stopped
        networks:
          - backend
        volumes:
          - ./db_dir:/var/lib/mysql
        env_file:
          - mariadb.env
    
      bitwarden:
        image: bitwardenrs/server-mysql
        container_name: bitwarden
        restart: unless-stopped
        networks:
          - backend
        volumes:
          - ./data_dir:/data
        env_file:
          - ./bitwarden.env
        depends_on:
          - bitwarden-db
    

    mariadb.env

    MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=***********
    MYSQL_DATABASE=bitwarden
    MYSQL_USER=bitwarden
    MYSQL_PASSWORD=************
    

    bitwarden.env

    ADMIN_TOKEN=***************
    DOMAIN=https://******
    SIGNUPS_ALLOWED=false
    ENABLE_DB_WAL=false
    DATABASE_URL=mysql://bitwarden:*************@bitwarden-db/bitwarden
    SMTP_HOST=mail.*********
    [email protected]**************
    SMTP_PORT=587
    SMTP_SSL=true
    [email protected]***************
    SMTP_PASSWORD=******************
    LOG_FILE=/data/bitwarden.log
    

    structure

    [email protected]:/data/bitwarden# tree -d
    .
    ├── data_dir
    │   ├── attachments
    │   │   ├── 1f139a6a-368c-4885-aef2-aa306c23bec7
    │   │   └── 598820b8-3abc-4e78-ba21-4313a0300a99
    │   └── icon_cache
    └── db_dir
        ├── bitwarden
        ├── mysql
        └── performance_schema
    
    9 directories
    

    While you can use docker volumes for it, I prefer not to, 1) easier backup using bind mounts 2) doesnt explode if docker goes bad ;)

    Hopefully somone finds this useful for self hosted alt :)

    Also if you run watchtower as well, it can keep bitwarden_rs auto updated. Its not failed/crashed using auto update on the bitwarden_rs container.

    compose yml for watchtower

    [email protected]:/data/watchtower# cat docker-compose.yml
    ---
    version: '3.8'
    
    services:
      watchtower:
        image: v2tec/watchtower
        restart: unless-stopped
        container_name: watchtower
        volumes:
          - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
        command: --interval 15
    
    Thanked by 1muffin
  • If you trust cloud services then why not Lastpass.com? But to be honest, i also prefer local password manager and Keepass look as good choice.

    Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @EHRA said:
    RECOMMENDED MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (Bitwarden)
    Processor: x64, 2 GHz dual core
    Memory: 4 GB RAM (system memory)

    WAT. That is too premium. I just lost all curiosity in trying it.

    I'll stick with decade old systen: KeepassXC with db file synced by seafileCE (1gb ram vps will do it). I used to use Dropbox until 2018 for the sync.

    250GB USA RAID6 StorageKVM from €13/yr (no-torrenting, TopProvider)
    (affiliate for 🥰 ) https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/aff.php?aff=401&gid=30

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    @rustelekom said: If you trust cloud services then why not Lastpass.com?

    Big difference between trusting Dropbox with an encrypted file they can't do anything with and trusting Lastpass with all my passwords in black box browser extensions.

    Thanked by 1vimalware

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

  • @rustelekom said:
    If you trust cloud services then why not Lastpass.com? But to be honest, i also prefer local password manager and Keepass look as good choice.

    LastPass is terrible. 1Password is much better and worth paying for.

  • GaleejGaleej Member

    @vimalware said:

    @EHRA said:
    RECOMMENDED MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (Bitwarden)
    Processor: x64, 2 GHz dual core
    Memory: 4 GB RAM (system memory)

    WAT. That is too premium. I just lost all curiosity in trying it.

    I'll stick with decade old systen: KeepassXC with db file synced by seafileCE (1gb ram vps will do it). I used to use Dropbox until 2018 for the sync.

    This is what I do, but sync via syncthing or manual upload to seafile. I cannot install seafile on my work pc. Any idea which app works best on iOS, I don’t like strongbox, it doesn’t work well with Files app on iOS.

    Hosthatch | Hetzner | Nexusbytes| intoVPS | Racknerd($18/Yr - 50GB Shared Hosting) | HostUS | Clouveo | MyW (Lifetime EUR 8)

  • akhfaakhfa Member

    Always fans of bitwarden here

  • cochoncochon Member

    +1 for Keepass. Recently migrated from old V1(.kdb) to V2(.kdbx) as I suddenly (Covid) needed better cross platform compatibility and cloud sync.

    Given the cloud angle I'm surprised no-one's mentioned or suggested using key files, in addition to the password, for added security. Stored locally on each device, definitely not on the same cloud service as the database file.

  • truwebtruweb Member

    I'm use VPS from RamNode ~ I'm use Reseller Hosting from BuyShared

  • lowfanlowfan Member
    edited July 29

    Bitwarden is not for me. I need to spend money on a lot of ram and cpu and have to spend the rest of my life securing and backing up the data :) Any body knows any alternative for minikeepass in iphone and android that works with keepass data?

    Thanked by 1vimalware
  • OujiOuji Member

    @vimalware said: WAT. That is too premium. I just lost all curiosity in trying it.

    I'll stick with decade old systen: KeepassXC with db file synced by seafileCE (1gb ram vps will do it). I used to use Dropbox until 2018 for the sync.

    You could always try bitwardenrs which should be able to run in a 256MB VPS, perhaps even 128MB, but I've never tried it.

    Thanked by 1muffin
  • fendixfendix Member

    I can recommend Hetzner cloud for approx €3/mo.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    • 1 bitwarden, great product and project
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • lowfanlowfan Member

    Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    @lowfan said: Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

    And your recommendation therefore is...?

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

  • lowfanlowfan Member
    edited July 29

    @raindog308 said:

    @lowfan said: Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

    And your recommendation therefore is...?

    I use keepassx for windows and mac, I used keepassdroid for android, right now still on minikeepass on my iphone all in cloud and I tell you something if even my whole passwords are stolen mostly they can't use it . Why? because my passwords have characters that look something but in my mind, I interpret it something else :) Security all the way :)

  • muffinmuffin Member

    @RedSox said:

    @muffin said: I’m running bitwarden_rs instead of the official one for myself, and I find it very lightweight

    How much RAM does it take?

    I’m running bitwarden_rs along with other docker containers on a 1GB vps for 5 users. I think it will work on a 256MB vps just fine.

    Thanked by 1RedSox
  • lokuzardlokuzard Member

    @lowfan said:
    Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

    What did you not like about Bitwarden?
    It's open source and have a good reputation when it comes to security and privacy.
    You don't even have to self-host.
    If you're paranoid, don't use the web vault, because the only damage I could see happening is if somehow Bitwarden get hacked and the hackers (or even a rogue developer) replace the web vault with a one that captures your password in plain-text, as that could easily go unnoticed.
    Instead use their desktop/mobile applications and don't update them until you make sure the new versions are clean.
    Also take regular backups of your vault using Bitwarden CLI, it's pretty easy to use.
    I'd suggest storing the backup file to an encrypted volume as they only provide unencrypted backup currently.
    To me, that seems pretty convenient and safe in the same time.

  • lowfanlowfan Member

    @lokuzard said:

    @lowfan said:
    Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

    Instead use their desktop/mobile applications and don't update them until you make sure the new versions are clean.

    I installed the desktop but to be able to use it I need to connect to online account. Can you please clarify ?

  • GaleejGaleej Member

    @lowfan said:

    @lokuzard said:

    @lowfan said:
    Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

    Instead use their desktop/mobile applications and don't update them until you make sure the new versions are clean.

    I installed the desktop but to be able to use it I need to connect to online account. Can you please clarify ?

    Yes you need to enter your login to use it.

    Hosthatch | Hetzner | Nexusbytes| intoVPS | Racknerd($18/Yr - 50GB Shared Hosting) | HostUS | Clouveo | MyW (Lifetime EUR 8)

Sign In or Register to comment.