Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Looking for Canada VPS (Toronto/Montreal), need 8TB to 16TB monthly, 160GB SSD min.
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Looking for Canada VPS (Toronto/Montreal), need 8TB to 16TB monthly, 160GB SSD min.

edited July 27 in Requests

VZ Type: Any

Number of Cores: 1
RAM: 4gb
Disk Space: 80gb minimum
Disk Type: SSD

Bandwidth: 8TB minimum, 16TB best (per month)
Port Speed: 1gbps minimum

DDoS Protection: NO

Number of IPs: 1

Location: Toronto or Montreal

Budget: $110USD/yr

Billing period: yearly is fine.

My current provider shuts down my VPS for "Abnormal high outgoing traffic" every weekend. I'm paying for 8TB of bandwidth but it's impossible to use 8TB unless you use exactly 266gb per day! I only need my server on weekends so I'm shopping for a different provider that can provide big bandwidth on the weekends.

The plan with my current provider:

KVM / LARGE
$ 79 /yr
16GB RAM
160GB SSD
4 vCPU
8TB transfer

The plan they are offering me as an upgrade:

KVM / 2X-LARGE
$ 109 /yr
32GB RAM
320GB SSD
8 vCPU
16TB transfer

But I still don't think that'll work for me needing lots of bandwidth only on the weekends.

Anyone know of anything out there for me?

Let me know please and thanks.

-Jamie M.

Comments

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    HotlineServers?

    Thanked by 1hotlineservers
  • @AC_Fan said:
    HotlineServers?

    They look pretty good!

    4gb ssd
    2 Dedicated CPU Core(s)
    4 GB RAM
    80 GB ssd Disk Space
    10 TB Bandwidth on 1gbps port
    $9.38US/mo.

    Thanks for the recommendation, they are a strong contender :)

    -Jamie M.

  • scookescooke Member

    Who is the current provider? Feel free to DM me, I may be in the same boat and would like to avoid such caps, please.

  • Tagging @servarica_hani.. they provide big SSD package..

    | #lexit |

  • donkodonko Member

    @scooke said:
    Who is the current provider? Feel free to DM me, I may be in the same boat and would like to avoid such caps, please.

    99% match = https://www.ssdnodes.com/

    Thanked by 1vimalware

    Get free € 20 Credits to spend in Hetzner Cloud by signing up from my aff link

  • @donko said:

    @scooke said:
    Who is the current provider? Feel free to DM me, I may be in the same boat and would like to avoid such caps, please.

    99% match = https://www.ssdnodes.com/

    This is correct :)

    -Jamie M.

  • @t0ny0 said:
    @freerangecloud might be able to help

    Storage is a hair too small on their plans but pricing and bandwidth looks nice. I saw Vancouver for Canada on their website but not Montreal or Toronto? Thanks for the recommendation though.

  • t0ny0t0ny0 Member

    @toysareforboys said:

    @t0ny0 said:
    @freerangecloud might be able to help

    Storage is a hair too small on their plans but pricing and bandwidth looks nice. I saw Vancouver for Canada on their website but not Montreal or Toronto? Thanks for the recommendation though.

    Pretty sure they have Toronto as well. Or Montreal. All I remember is that they have East Coast Canada. And they can most likely work on the storage requirements for you.

    Thanked by 1freerangecloud
  • edited July 27

    Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

    I went with hotlineservers :)

    10GB SSD
    6 dedicated CPU Core(s)
    10 GB RAM
    200 GB SSD Disk Space
    10 TB Bandwidth on 1gbps port
    $15.37 monthly.

    A little over budget but the storage and bandwidth are super nice, being able to pay monthly is handy and being able to top up the bandwidth if I need a little extra for one month, etc. is very nice.

    Thanks again.

    -Jamie M.

    ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

    Yet-Another-Bench-Script

    v2020-06-20

    https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

    ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

    Mon 27 Jul 2020 06:21:32 PM CEST

    Basic System Information:

    Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz
    CPU cores : 6 @ 2599.998 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 9.5Gi
    Swap : 1.0Gi
    Disk : 196G

    fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

    Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 223.59 MB/s (55.8k) 2.61 GB/s (40.8k)
    Write 224.18 MB/s (56.0k) 2.62 GB/s (41.0k)
    Total 447.77 MB/s (111.9k) 5.23 GB/s (81.8k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 2.29 GB/s (4.4k) 1.54 GB/s (1.5k)
    Write 2.41 GB/s (4.7k) 1.64 GB/s (1.6k)
    Total 4.71 GB/s (9.2k) 3.18 GB/s (3.1k)

    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

    Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Bouygues Telecom | Paris, FR (10G) | 480 Mbits/sec | 283 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 590 Mbits/sec | 236 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | busy | busy
    wilhelm.tel | Hamburg, DE (10G) | 505 Mbits/sec | 134 Mbits/sec
    Biznet | Bogor, Indonesia (1G) | 348 Mbits/sec | 21.6 Mbits/sec
    Hostkey | Moscow, RU (1G) | 604 Mbits/sec | 491 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 896 Mbits/sec | 652 Mbits/sec
    Airstream Comms | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G) | 908 Mbits/sec | 332 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric | Fremont, CA, US (10G) | 892 Mbits/sec | 308 Mbits/sec

    Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:

    Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 544
    Multi Core | 3076
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3078313

    Thanked by 1scooke
  • You were offered a much cheaper plan your current provider offered that presumably (you'd confirm, of course) would no longer have weekend issues and instead switched to another provider of questionable service and support.

    You just opted for the more painful route. Good luck.

  • muffinmuffin Member

    @TimboJones said:
    You were offered a much cheaper plan your current provider offered that presumably (you'd confirm, of course) would no longer have weekend issues and instead switched to another provider of questionable service and support.

    You just opted for the more painful route. Good luck.

    Lots of horror stories ( bad reviews ) about ssdnodes, I don’t think it was a bad choice at all.

  • t0ny0t0ny0 Member

    I would avoid ssdnodes for anything that requires...well...usage.
    Not bad on paper, but its solely for testing/learning purposes.

  • @muffin said:

    @TimboJones said:
    You were offered a much cheaper plan your current provider offered that presumably (you'd confirm, of course) would no longer have weekend issues and instead switched to another provider of questionable service and support.

    You just opted for the more painful route. Good luck.


    Lots of horror stories ( bad reviews ) about ssdnodes, I don’t think it was a bad choice at all.

    I've never heard of hotlineservers, either, but a quick search had a lot of negative comments as well. It's a "devil that you know" situation.

  • edited July 27

    @TimboJones said:
    You were offered a much cheaper plan your current provider offered that presumably (you'd confirm, of course) would no longer have weekend issues and instead switched to another provider of questionable service and support.

    I asked ssdnodes, if I upgraded to their monster 32TB plan, if that would solve my too much usage on weekend issues, and they said "no, your VPS would still be shut down if you're using more than 1gbps average over an hour". So 32TB of data that would be next to impossible to use without hitting the 1gbps average limit.

    I'm a 6 year customer of ssdnodes. At the start it was amazing. More recently, not so much. I was with ssdnodes in Montreal. My VPS would go down 5 times a day (not an exaggeration). When I sent in a ticket they said "we aren't supporting Montreal anymore, how about we move your VPS to Texas?". Sure I guess. #1 they lost all my data in the move and #2 the performance in Texas is horrible.

    I'm not afraid to try someone new, anything is better than ssdnodes currently. With hotline you just pay monthly (vs. yearly or triple yearly with ssdnodes) so I'm not too worried. They gave me a free trial for a week to test it out. OMG software compiles so much faster than ssdnodes, compiled nginx and ffmpeg in 20 minutes vs. 2 hours on ssdnodes!

    Love it so far. VERY VERY fast speed me to them and them to me, feels like I'm right nextdoor :)

    Thanked by 1muffin
  • muffinmuffin Member

    @TimboJones said:

    @muffin said:

    @TimboJones said:
    You were offered a much cheaper plan your current provider offered that presumably (you'd confirm, of course) would no longer have weekend issues and instead switched to another provider of questionable service and support.

    You just opted for the more painful route. Good luck.


    Lots of horror stories ( bad reviews ) about ssdnodes, I don’t think it was a bad choice at all.

    I've never heard of hotlineservers, either, but a quick search had a lot of negative comments as well. It's a "devil that you know" situation.

    I did a quick search as well, but couldn’t find any... In any case, it is much better than being locked down for multiple years on an oversold node, and the OP is happy: that’s all that matters in the end :)

  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Provider

    @t0ny0 said:

    @toysareforboys said:

    @t0ny0 said:
    @freerangecloud might be able to help

    Storage is a hair too small on their plans but pricing and bandwidth looks nice. I saw Vancouver for Canada on their website but not Montreal or Toronto? Thanks for the recommendation though.

    Pretty sure they have Toronto as well. Or Montreal. All I remember is that they have East Coast Canada. And they can most likely work on the storage requirements for you.

    Thanks for the mention. We're in the process of building out in Toronto (actually, we should have gear going in place next week) so we would be able to offer VPS' there starting early August.

    I can probably play with the storage an RAM specs to make something work for you.

    Thanked by 1t0ny0

    VPS, Shared Hosting, Routed Subnets and more - https://freerangecloud.com

  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 28

    Looks like ssdnodes has very little by way of excess capacity on their network.

    Maybe something like a 4GB linode spin up hourly would be better for you? (4gbps on the 4GB plan; leave it running for n+1 hours to justify the traffic you actually used)>

    Nvm. Saw your budget and usage. Too risky.

    250GB USA RAID6 StorageKVM from €13/yr (no-torrenting, TopProvider)
    (affiliate for 🥰 ) https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/aff.php?aff=401&gid=30

  • @freerangecloud said:
    Thanks for the mention. We're in the process of building out in Toronto (actually, we should have gear going in place next week) so we would be able to offer VPS' there starting early August.

    I can probably play with the storage an RAM specs to make something work for you.

    Sounds great. I wouldn't mind giving it a test when you're ready. I'm only month to month with my new provider so easy for me to switch.

  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Provider

    @toysareforboys said:

    @freerangecloud said:
    Thanks for the mention. We're in the process of building out in Toronto (actually, we should have gear going in place next week) so we would be able to offer VPS' there starting early August.

    I can probably play with the storage an RAM specs to make something work for you.

    Sounds great. I wouldn't mind giving it a test when you're ready. I'm only month to month with my new provider so easy for me to switch.

    I'll shoot you a message in a week or so once everything is setup on our end.
    Cheers!

    VPS, Shared Hosting, Routed Subnets and more - https://freerangecloud.com

  • t0ny0t0ny0 Member

    @freerangecloud said:

    @toysareforboys said:

    @freerangecloud said:
    Thanks for the mention. We're in the process of building out in Toronto (actually, we should have gear going in place next week) so we would be able to offer VPS' there starting early August.

    I can probably play with the storage an RAM specs to make something work for you.

    Sounds great. I wouldn't mind giving it a test when you're ready. I'm only month to month with my new provider so easy for me to switch.

    I'll shoot you a message in a week or so once everything is setup on our end.
    Cheers!

    Send me one as well :-)

  • king8654king8654 Member

    "Hotlinesevers was founded in 2020 with the core concept of providing optimal service at an affordable price. Our leading team of specialists have more than two decades of combined experience and we put that knowledge to use in everything we do – from our in-house maintenance and customer service to our commitment to finding and providing the best solutions for dedicated servers, data centers and networks. We keep costs low and quality high by providing our own in-house maintenance, free setup and High bandwidth for all of our service packages. Our data center locations are also strategically located to provide optimal speed and quality for each region we service.”

    Their lowendbox advertisement. Might be nothing, but...

  • @king8654 said:

    Their lowendbox advertisement. Might be nothing, but...

    Meaning what?

    https://hotlineservers.com Instant kvm ssd vps in Los Angeles, Nyc, Dallas, Chicago, Frankfurt, Miami, Montreal, Vancouver

  • PolicePolice Member

    OVH.

  • @toysareforboys said:

    @TimboJones said:
    You were offered a much cheaper plan your current provider offered that presumably (you'd confirm, of course) would no longer have weekend issues and instead switched to another provider of questionable service and support.

    I asked ssdnodes, if I upgraded to their monster 32TB plan, if that would solve my too much usage on weekend issues, and they said "no, your VPS would still be shut down if you're using more than 1gbps average over an hour". So 32TB of data that would be next to impossible to use without hitting the 1gbps average limit.

    I'm a 6 year customer of ssdnodes. At the start it was amazing. More recently, not so much. I was with ssdnodes in Montreal. My VPS would go down 5 times a day (not an exaggeration). When I sent in a ticket they said "we aren't supporting Montreal anymore, how about we move your VPS to Texas?". Sure I guess. #1 they lost all my data in the move and #2 the performance in Texas is horrible.

    I'm not afraid to try someone new, anything is better than ssdnodes currently. With hotline you just pay monthly (vs. yearly or triple yearly with ssdnodes) so I'm not too worried. They gave me a free trial for a week to test it out. OMG software compiles so much faster than ssdnodes, compiled nginx and ffmpeg in 20 minutes vs. 2 hours on ssdnodes!

    Love it so far. VERY VERY fast speed me to them and them to me, feels like I'm right nextdoor :)

    Then why did you say "But I still don't think that'll work for me needing lots of bandwidth only on the weekends" if you KNEW it wouldn't work and you had no choice but move providers? Frankly, I'd complain that they're not providing the advertised services and ask them to explain where in the terms of service this limit was mentioned. Also surprised they didn't offer to just lock your NIC down to 1Gbps and keep taking your money. Strange.

    I'm curious what kind of traffic and to/from where that you're able to maintain OVER 1Gbps for over an hour. I suspect the provider is suspicious of you and/or activities.

    But if you're satisfied with the new service, don't look back.

  • @Police said:
    OVH.

    Way over budget :(

    $27.60 /month
    4 vCore
    8 GB RAM
    160 GB NVMe SSD
    1 Gbps - unlimited traffic

    The unlimited traffic sounds nice but their fair use policy is scary:

    "As part of the Service, the outgoing bandwidth traffic recorded on the switch port is unlimited. However, OVHcloud reserves the right to restrict the Service bandwidth to 1 Mbps (1 Megabit per second) until the end of the current billing period in cases of excessive use by the Customer."

  • @toysareforboys said:

    1 Gbps - unlimited traffic

    in cases of excessive use by the Customer."

    I reckon 30TB would not make OVH even notice.
    That's just under 100mbit kimsufi.

    250GB USA RAID6 StorageKVM from €13/yr (no-torrenting, TopProvider)
    (affiliate for 🥰 ) https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/aff.php?aff=401&gid=30

  • scookescooke Member

    @hotlineservers said:

    @king8654 said:

    Their lowendbox advertisement. Might be nothing, but...

    Meaning what?

    Maybe it is the "founded in 2020" bit that the poster found suspicious. I think people like to see a history before they buy. But who knows.

  • Well that didn't last very long :(

    @hotlineservers said:
    it is with the best interest of you the client that we merge with nexusbytes.com.
    We don't want to be like other hosts that just walk away.and leave everyone
    high and dry. We are not making a dime from this, but we believe customers
    come first which is why we are doing this.

    Worked great for one weekend, performance was really nice but it wasn't going to be under full load until the next weekend. I really wanted to see how well it worked running under full anger, especially if the 1gbps port was going to be enough.

    @hotlineservers said:
    Here is how it is going to work. nexusbytes.is offing to move your vps to any of
    their 6 locations Users that chose to migrate over to US, should open a ticket
    with them. They will handle the data migration There will be a pricing increase
    for promotional plans. They will work with each user on a case by case basis.
    That includes free DA license.
    NYC | Miami | LA | UTAH | London, UK | Germany

    Nexusbytes has no servers in Montreal or Toronto so looks like I'll be on the search for a new provider again! :(

Sign In or Register to comment.