Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen question

birdie25birdie25 Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Example: I have a dedicated server with 4 cores + HT, so 8 CPU cores in total. How much Xen VPS can I fit on this machine? Someone told me that if you assign 1 core to each VPS, you can only make 7 VPS regardless of the RAM involved. Is this true?

Comments

• AFAIK 4 cores + HT isn't equal to 8 cores.

Some time ago, on wht, I've read something like 6 or 8 vps per core.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited February 2012

@birdie25 said: I have a dedicated server with 4 cores + HT, so 8 CPU cores in total. How much Xen VPS can I fit on this machine?

Since you are doing Xen, RAM and HD space is the primary divider. You can fit as many VPS as you have RAM and hard drive space for.

That is how many will "fit", but the performance is another matter. Depending on the performance you want each to have, you will have to evaluate your disk IO speeds as well and may have to scale back your maximum VPS number to allow for better performance.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Indeed, you can fit however many you want. The question is how many can your server cope with performance wise.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I/O is the key. CPU is generally not a problem unless some script goes wrong (easy to detect and fix).
    Memory also, can be oversold pretty much, but if you have low I/O customers will see it as sluggish and wont like that. Massive swap will also put the last nail in the coffin.
    Begin planning from the storage, it is the most important bottleneck.
    M

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited February 2012

You can also use "iotop" to view what processes are using I/O.

"yum install iotop"
    should work for you :)

"top"
    will allow you to see what processes are using cpu/ram.