Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Looking for 5 dedis
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Looking for 5 dedis

Dual xeon 2670 or stonger. CPU power is most important for me.

32gb ram

1x 240gb ssd

1gbps - 20tb

1 IPv4 or /29

24/7 Access to IPMI

Any location is fine but I prefer europe.

Comments

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    Hetzner AX41-NVMe is basically double of what you're looking for, at just over 50 dollars for one. Of course, this is assuming you can find one.

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • mitnick2mitnick2 Member

    netcup.eu RS 4000 G9
    AMD EPYC™ 7702
    32 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)
    6 dedicated cores
    800 GB SSD
    Remote console etc.

  • @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner AX41-NVMe is basically double of what you're looking for, at just over 50 dollars for one. Of course, this is assuming you can find one.

    Find one? Just order one. I got 4 instantly delivered 2 hours ago,

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @QuangNguyen said:

    @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner AX41-NVMe is basically double of what you're looking for, at just over 50 dollars for one. Of course, this is assuming you can find one.

    Find one? Just order one. I got 4 instantly delivered 2 hours ago,

    They were in very short supply a little while ago, glad to know the situation's improved.

  • @AC_Fan
    AX41-NVMe dont have IPMI access unless im missing something?

  • @dodheimsgard said:
    @AC_Fan
    AX41-NVMe dont have IPMI access unless im missing something?

    Not 24/7 no, but they will put one up for you, for up to 3 hours at a time, free of charge. Hetzner support is both fast and premium

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • spectraipspectraip Member, Provider

    @dodheimsgard said:
    Dual xeon 2670 or stonger. CPU power is most important for me.

    32gb ram

    1x 240gb ssd

    1gbps - 20tb

    1 IPv4 or /29

    24/7 Access to IPMI

    Any location is fine but I prefer europe.

    We have AMD Ryzen servers with IPMI (via VPN)

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    32 GB DDR4 RAM
    480 GB NVMe
    €45/month

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    64 GB DDR4 RAM
    960 GB NVMe
    €70/month

    Servers have 1 Gbps, 50 TB bandwidth and 1 IPv4 address included.
    Hosted in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

    Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner AX41-NVMe is basically double of what you're looking for, at just over 50 dollars for one. Of course, this is assuming you can find one.

    How do you compare this machine against the above

    Dual E5-2650V2 , 64GB RAM and 4x500GB

    My purpose of usage is for web server, db server, loadbalancer etc. Does the above machine will outperform the above for my need?

    And do Hetzner provide LAN for all the machine we own?

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner AX41-NVMe is basically double of what you're looking for, at just over 50 dollars for one. Of course, this is assuming you can find one.

    How do you compare this machine against the above

    Dual E5-2650V2 , 64GB RAM and 4x500GB

    My purpose of usage is for web server, db server, loadbalancer etc. Does the above machine will outperform the above for my need?

    And do Hetzner provide LAN for all the machine we own?

    The Xeon machine will have 10-15% more CPU performance (if that is a factor, which it rarely is). If the disks are at least decent SSDs, and you use them in RAID-10, it should perform similarly (speaking on a very general level) to the Ryzen dedi, but the Xeon is probably a fair bit costlier. If you can detail your exact usage, perhaps I could help more. Yes, the Hetzner internal network is available to all products.

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @AC_Fan said:

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner AX41-NVMe is basically double of what you're looking for, at just over 50 dollars for one. Of course, this is assuming you can find one.

    How do you compare this machine against the above

    Dual E5-2650V2 , 64GB RAM and 4x500GB

    My purpose of usage is for web server, db server, loadbalancer etc. Does the above machine will outperform the above for my need?

    And do Hetzner provide LAN for all the machine we own?

    The Xeon machine will have 10-15% more CPU performance (if that is a factor, which it rarely is). If the disks are at least decent SSDs, and you use them in RAID-10, it should perform similarly (speaking on a very general level) to the Ryzen dedi, but the Xeon is probably a fair bit costlier. If you can detail your exact usage, perhaps I could help more. Yes, the Hetzner internal network is available to all products.

    My requirement is to host a magento 2 website which is very heavy on a cluster setup. for the pricing above, I can optimize the cost considering my current setup which I did on the above CPU.

    When I see the benchmark, Ryzen is having 22K benchmark and where as the mine 2xCPU comes at 16K benchmark.

    Does that means, Ryzen is better than my current CPU?

    Will it suits for PHP , MySQL , Redis and other purpose?

  • jsgjsg Member

    If your priority is highest quality and budget is less of a concern I'd look at @Clouvider. If on the other hand budget is of concern and you can live with a bit less of everything (connectivity, etc) - but still want excellent support and a nice dedi I'd have a look at AlphaVPS/@AlexBarakov. A rather experienced and demanding friend & colleague of mine considers both of them excellent choices and has had multiple dedis with AlphaVPS since years.Finally there is also the obvious (but not necessarily the best) choice, @Hetzner_OL.

    Thanked by 1Clouvider

    Thanks no.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    Thanks for the mention @jsg!

    @dodheimsgard give us a shout if we can help in any way! :-)

    Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £45/m - Our Latest LET Offer

    Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner AX41-NVMe is basically double of what you're looking for, at just over 50 dollars for one. Of course, this is assuming you can find one.

    How do you compare this machine against the above

    Dual E5-2650V2 , 64GB RAM and 4x500GB

    My purpose of usage is for web server, db server, loadbalancer etc. Does the above machine will outperform the above for my need?

    And do Hetzner provide LAN for all the machine we own?

    The Xeon machine will have 10-15% more CPU performance (if that is a factor, which it rarely is). If the disks are at least decent SSDs, and you use them in RAID-10, it should perform similarly (speaking on a very general level) to the Ryzen dedi, but the Xeon is probably a fair bit costlier. If you can detail your exact usage, perhaps I could help more. Yes, the Hetzner internal network is available to all products.

    My requirement is to host a magento 2 website which is very heavy on a cluster setup. for the pricing above, I can optimize the cost considering my current setup which I did on the above CPU.

    When I see the benchmark, Ryzen is having 22K benchmark and where as the mine 2xCPU comes at 16K benchmark.

    Does that means, Ryzen is better than my current CPU?

    Will it suits for PHP , MySQL , Redis and other purpose?

    Yes, it would appear that the Ryzen is better for your specific use case, if the benchmark results are valid. You should check out the AX-line, all of them are very competitive.

    Also, I would recommend checking out LiteSpeed. I believe it has a plugin for Magento, which should definitely help you.

  • jsgjsg Member
    edited July 18

    @imgmoney said:
    How do you compare this machine [AMD 3600] against the above

    Dual E5-2650V2 , 64GB RAM and 4x500GB

    My purpose of usage is for web server, db server, loadbalancer etc.

    And do Hetzner provide LAN for all the machine we own?

    E5-2650V2 is a rather old processor and even its turbo speed is lower than the Ryzen 3600's normal speed but it has 2 more cores than the Ryzen. Also the Ryzens use DDR4 memory so it's no surprise that the Ryzen 3600 is almost twice as performant (assuming it has decent memory, say at least 2600 MHz).

    But your Xeon dedi has two processors so all in all your processing power is about the same as the AX41-NVMe, although the Ryzen is still faster due to its considerably faster memory.

    Does the above machine will outperform the above for my need?

    No or only slightly due to faster memory.

    @AC_Fan said:
    The Xeon machine will have 10-15% more CPU performance (if that is a factor, which it rarely is). If the disks are at least decent SSDs, and you use them in RAID-10, it should perform similarly (speaking on a very general level) to the Ryzen dedi, but the Xeon is probably a fair bit costlier.

    I think you are mistaken. An SSD is considerably slower than an NVMe (typ. 2 - 3 times slower) although for most hosting use cases that is no issue and SSDs are just fine. And no, the Xeon E5-2650 v2(!) is not more expensive; both the processor itself and the server (2nd hand) is much cheaper than a Zen 2 system with roughly comparable performance (as is the case here). A typical end user price for say a Dell (nice quality) server incl. two 2650 v2 and some memory (often 16 or 32 GB) goes for around $300.

    @imgmoney said:
    My requirement is to host a magento 2 website which is very heavy on a cluster setup. for the pricing above, I can optimize the cost considering my current setup which I did on the above CPU.

    When I see the benchmark, Ryzen is having 22K benchmark and where as the mine 2xCPU comes at 16K benchmark.

    Does that means, Ryzen is better than my current CPU?

    Will it suits for PHP , MySQL , Redis and other purpose?

    For that kind of workload you want mainly 2 things, (a) many cores, and (b) lots of RAM (as in "the more the better"). I'm assuming of course that at least 2 of your 4 disks are halfway decent SSDs. Also check your memory speed. DDR3 is 1033 in many server from back then; if so try to get 1600 memory.

    Edit: If power consumption is a factor for you then the Ryzen 3600 wins hands down because it only consumes 65 Watts while two E5-2650 consume almost 200 W (3 times the Ryzens consumption).

    Thanks no.

  • @dodheimsgard said:
    Dual xeon 2670 or stonger. CPU power is most important for me.
    32gb ram
    1x 240gb ssd
    1gbps - 20tb
    1 IPv4 or /29
    24/7 Access to IPMI
    Any location is fine but I prefer europe.

    How important is that IPMI? And are you willing to buy 3 or 6mo at a time to secure a better rate?

  • GameTownProjectsGameTownProjects Member, Provider

    All our dedicated servers are connected to an KVM over IP switch.
    Thats not a IPMI, but for the most needs that's enough.

    If that will work for you feel free to contact and discuss some solutions with me.

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited July 18

    @jsg said:

    @AC_Fan said:
    The Xeon machine will have 10-15% more CPU performance (if that is a factor, which it rarely is). If the disks are at least decent SSDs, and you use them in RAID-10, it should perform similarly (speaking on a very general level) to the Ryzen dedi, but the Xeon is probably a fair bit costlier.

    I think you are mistaken. An SSD is considerably slower than an NVMe (typ. 2 - 3 times slower) although for most hosting use cases that is no issue and SSDs are just fine. And no, the Xeon E5-2650 v2(!) is not more expensive; both the processor itself and the server (2nd hand) is much cheaper than a Zen 2 system with roughly comparable performance (as is the case here). A typical end user price for say a Dell (nice quality) server incl. two 2650 v2 and some memory (often 16 or 32 GB) goes for around $300.

    The CPU might be cheaper, but the dedi itself would be with a non-Hetzner provider, which would almost certainly make it more expensive.
    I don't know his exact workload, but the AX41-NVMe only has consumer NVMe drives, which is why I said it would probably perform similarly (comparing assumed enterprise SSDs in R10 to consumer NVMes in R1).

  • jsgjsg Member
    edited July 18

    @AC_Fan said:
    The CPU might be cheaper, but the dedi itself would be with a non-Hetzner provider, which would almost certainly make it more expensive.
    I don't know his exact workload, but the AX41-NVMe only has consumer NVMe drives, which is why I said it would probably perform similarly (comparing assumed enterprise SSDs in R10 to consumer NVMes in R1).

    No, the whole box is cheaper, much cheaper (for the provider to purchase). Now look, if you are a provider and you want to offer a dedi with x GB SSD (or whatever), y TB traffic and you have to either buy a (usually new) Zen 2 system for say 3 k$ or a 2nd hand Xeon system for say 500 $ and obviously the Xeon system costs you much less.

    True, a brand spanking new Ryzen is way more attractive than a 10 year old Xeon, but it's also much, much more costly which of course also shows in the dedi rental price. Normally.

    But there is a but: A large or at least rich provider can afford to think differently and to spread the purchasing cost over some expected life-time, say 8 years which brings the monthly cost of a Ryzen dedi at least roughly in the ballpark of financial feasibility. And the provider can offer something everyone and his dog want and are crazy about, which obviously helps selling.

    For a large and world-wide known provider like @Hetzner_OL they (a) have the financial power needed and (b) might perceive the current situation with much higher contrast. Explanation: Assume Hetzner didn't offer Ryzen; that would risk to severely harm them ("they are uncool", "they are backwards", "they only have old crap"). If on the other hand they did what they did and purchased and offered a tasty portfolio of Ryzens - and cheap at that - they can only win and they will attract many new customers.

    And then there is the big red elephant, namely the fact that most people do not even come close to using their hardware (incl. VPS) but at the same time are hardwired to be attracted by numbers (like benchmark numbers), so they feel that "an old Xeon" isn't adequate anymore and "think" they should have a Ryzen.

    The fact however is that 98% of all hosting needs not only can be served well by "old Xeons" but those "old Xeons" in fact are oversized - and at the same time "undersized" wrt. memory and often disks.

    Thanks no.

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited July 18

    @jsg said:

    I was talking only from the point of viewing of dedicated machines that are rented from providers. Due to various reasons, in that particular niche, a Hetzner dedi with brand new hardware is almost always cheaper than a dedi with any other provider with old, used hardware. If somebody was thinking of colocation, your (admittedly well done) analysis is correct. Otherwise, for a normal customer, it's better to just buy a Ryzen machine from Hetzner.
    Cheers!

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    Ok, so I ordered these machines - "AMD EPYC™ 7502P 32-Core with 128GB ECC RAM"

    Right now I having 4 MySQL ( Master, Slave, Slave, Slave ) on 2xE5 2620 V2 with 64GB Ram each and RAID10 - 4 x 256GB SSD

    I am planning to substitute with 2x AMD EPYC™ 7502P 32-Core with 128GB ECC RAM , 2x1tb NVME RAID1

    I am planning to follow the same idea for the web server too. So considering the above, will the performance will be faster or similar?

    Or I should go with a smaller server of these

    1) AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Octa-Core
    2) AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    3) AMD Ryzen 9 3900

    And more in numbers. Right now we have 3 web nodes, 4 mysql nodes, proxysql node, varnish, haproxy , nfs.

    If you can suggest which config suits for which I would be more thankful to you.

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @AC_Fan said: Also, I would recommend checking out LiteSpeed. I believe it has a plugin for Magento, which should definitely help you.

    I checked their website and found they are charging based on worker process. When I looked into my server performance through Top command. I notice there are lots of php-fpm process ( more than 10 always )

    And as per their plans, I believe I have to go with unlimited workers which is costing 600+ USD a month. Is it worth spending?

    Do the speed claim by them really a truth?

    And what plan should you suggest for a store which is getting 30K visitors a day and have a lots of backend process.

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @imgmoney Not completely sure why you went with the AX161. For your setup, you get 10% more CPU performance per dollar, but much less RAM and Disks. The AX61-NVMe (3900) is much more balanced, in my personal opinion.

    Also not sure where you're getting 600+ USD from. LiteSpeed web server is 92 dollars for the unlimited version, and the Magento plugin is an additional 192 dollars.
    However, before going for those, I would suggest benchmarking the 3900 servers, I feel they would be more than sufficient for you. Even they say that it would improve performance to 2.8x: if you multiply the 3900 machine's price by 2.8x, you get 300 dollars, roughly. So, you can accomplish the same performance, using raw hardware, in 300 dollars. However, for LiteSpeed, you would need the 3900 machine + web server license + cache plugin license, which will cost roughly 390 dollars. So, 30% more cost for roughly the same performance.

    Conclusion: Simply buying more AX61-NVMe dedis gives more bang for buck, rather than mucking around with licenses.

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @AC_Fan said: Also not sure where you're getting 600+ USD from

    Please see here https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-adc/webadc-pricing/webadc-litemage-pricing

    To have a cluster, this is must.

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @AC_Fan said: I would suggest benchmarking the 3900 servers

    I have ordered it now to benchmark it.

    1) AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - 84euros
    2) AMD EPYC™ 7502P - 126euro

    Are you sure that 2x AMD EPYC™ 7502P = 3x AMD Ryzen 9 3900 or better?

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said: Also not sure where you're getting 600+ USD from

    Please see here https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-adc/webadc-pricing/webadc-litemage-pricing

    To have a cluster, this is must.

    If you decide to use their load balancer, sure. I don't believe that's strictly required tho, HAProxy or the like should work.

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @AC_Fan said:

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said: Also not sure where you're getting 600+ USD from

    Please see here https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-adc/webadc-pricing/webadc-litemage-pricing

    To have a cluster, this is must.

    If you decide to use their load balancer, sure. I don't believe that's strictly required tho, HAProxy or the like should work.

    Nope, see this image, they mentioned it is must for cluster - https://prnt.sc/tko1zu

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said: I would suggest benchmarking the 3900 servers

    I have ordered it now to benchmark it.

    1) AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - 84euros
    2) AMD EPYC™ 7502P - 126euro

    Are you sure that 2x AMD EPYC™ 7502P = 3x AMD Ryzen 9 3900 or better?

    According to PassMark, yes, but benchmarking for your specific usecase is the only way to know. According to the PassMark scores, 3x 3900 is a bit lower than 2x 7502P (6-7% lower). However, you get dual 1.92TB NVMe drives and 128GB included at 84 euros, unlike dual 1TB NVMe drives and 128GB included at 126 euros.
    Personally, I think the 6-7% loss in CPU is acceptable for the much more balanced system. Also, since the AX61-NVMe is prebuilt, you'll get it much faster than the AX161, which much be customised.

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said: Also not sure where you're getting 600+ USD from

    Please see here https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-adc/webadc-pricing/webadc-litemage-pricing

    To have a cluster, this is must.

    If you decide to use their load balancer, sure. I don't believe that's strictly required tho, HAProxy or the like should work.

    Nope, see this image, they mentioned it is must for cluster - https://prnt.sc/tko1zu

    Then I suppose that removes it from consideration entirely. That's too much cost in simple license, which would be much better spent on raw hardware.

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @AC_Fan said:

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said: I would suggest benchmarking the 3900 servers

    I have ordered it now to benchmark it.

    1) AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - 84euros
    2) AMD EPYC™ 7502P - 126euro

    Are you sure that 2x AMD EPYC™ 7502P = 3x AMD Ryzen 9 3900 or better?

    According to PassMark, yes, but benchmarking for your specific usecase is the only way to know. According to the PassMark scores, 3x 3900 is a bit lower than 2x 7502P (6-7% lower). However, you get dual 1.92TB NVMe drives and 128GB included at 84 euros, unlike dual 1TB NVMe drives and 128GB included at 126 euros.
    Personally, I think the 6-7% loss in CPU is acceptable for the much more balanced system. Also, since the AX61-NVMe is prebuilt, you'll get it much faster than the AX161, which much be customised.

    I have already got the two machines and these are the benchmark of them. I believe 7502P will arrive tomorrow

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2967048

    And the 3900 benchmark is in progress, whereas this our current HW benchmark

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2967223

    Do the above benchmark result is for 1 cpu or 2 cpu?

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited July 19

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    @imgmoney said:

    @AC_Fan said: I would suggest benchmarking the 3900 servers

    I have ordered it now to benchmark it.

    1) AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - 84euros
    2) AMD EPYC™ 7502P - 126euro

    Are you sure that 2x AMD EPYC™ 7502P = 3x AMD Ryzen 9 3900 or better?

    According to PassMark, yes, but benchmarking for your specific usecase is the only way to know. According to the PassMark scores, 3x 3900 is a bit lower than 2x 7502P (6-7% lower). However, you get dual 1.92TB NVMe drives and 128GB included at 84 euros, unlike dual 1TB NVMe drives and 128GB included at 126 euros.
    Personally, I think the 6-7% loss in CPU is acceptable for the much more balanced system. Also, since the AX61-NVMe is prebuilt, you'll get it much faster than the AX161, which much be customised.

    I have already got the two machines and these are the benchmark of them. I believe 7502P will arrive tomorrow

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2967048

    And the 3900 benchmark is in progress, whereas this our current HW benchmark

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2967223

    Do the above benchmark result is for 1 cpu or 2 cpu?

    In topology, it shows 2 processors, so it's running on both CPUs. However, geekbench is a general benchmark, you should find a way to load test your website to get an exact answer.

  • jsgjsg Member
    edited July 19

    @imgmoney

    Instead of trying to solve your problems (do they really exist and have you analyzed them?) by throwing money at hardware and software it might be more promising to (a) properly analyze your problem, and (b) to throw some money at someone who has the knowledge and expertise to guide you towards a sensible solution.

    (No, this is not an attempt to apply)

    Thanked by 1imgmoney

    Thanks no.

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @jsg said:
    @imgmoney

    Instead of trying to solve your problems (do they really exist and have you analyzed them?) by throwing money at hardware and software it might be more promising to (a) properly analyze your problem, and (b) to throw some money at someone who has the knowledge and expertise to guide you towards a sensible solution.

    (No, this is not an attempt to apply)

    An update, site is up and running uncached version on "AMD Ryzen 7 3700X" and everything in 1 server ( nginx + php-fpm + mariadb + redis + elasticsearch )

    It is 5 time faster without caching.

    I wonder what made it super fast?

    1) CPU have little higher benchmark
    2) IOPS is 25 times higher than previous setup since it is NVME RAID 1 with 4xSSD RAID10

    Any inputs?

    1) Should I downgrade the CPU to "AMD Ryzen 5 3600 " and use 4x NVMe in RAID10?
    2) Should I upgrade to better CPU and use NVMe and use the same RAID1and form cluster?

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    I am going to benchmark it on "AMD Ryzen 9 3900" and "AMD EPYC™ 7502P" as well.

    Is there any difference in NVMe SSD Datacenter Edition and NVMe SSD, in benchmark I am seeing less IOPS for datacenter edition.

    And right now write and read speed is 1GBps+ , if I use RAID 10, I can get 4GBps. Will it increase the app performance? If I want to utilize the higher IOPS, do I also need to have high capacity port of 1gbps+

    Thanks

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @imgmoney said:
    It is 5 time faster without caching.

    I wonder what made it super fast?

    1) CPU have little higher benchmark
    2) IOPS is 25 times higher than previous setup since it is NVME RAID 1 with 4xSSD RAID10

    Any inputs?

    1) Should I downgrade the CPU to "AMD Ryzen 5 3600 " and use 4x NVMe in RAID10?
    2) Should I upgrade to better CPU and use NVMe and use the same RAID1and form cluster?

    That would imply you were limited by IOPS, although only objective testing will verify that. You should run identical benchmarks on the new 3700X machine and the old E5 one, and see which component is the bottleneck, and then change your machine depending on the results.

    I am going to benchmark it on "AMD Ryzen 9 3900" and "AMD EPYC™ 7502P" as well.

    Is there any difference in NVMe SSD Datacenter Edition and NVMe SSD, in benchmark I am seeing less IOPS for datacenter edition.

    And right now write and read speed is 1GBps+ , if I use RAID 10, I can get 4GBps. Will it increase the app performance? If I want to utilize the higher IOPS, do I also need to have high capacity port of 1gbps+

    Thanks

    Datacenter edition will be able to sustain that benchmark, while the normal NVMe will get throttled after a while. Also, more endurance on the DC SSD (not that it matters much in this case).

    If you were limited by disk IOPS, yes, that would increase performance. Highly doubtful that you would need a higher port speed, although you should check it, just to be safe.

    Thanked by 1imgmoney
  • akhfaakhfa Member
    edited July 19

    @imgmoney said:
    I am going to benchmark it on "AMD Ryzen 9 3900" and "AMD EPYC™ 7502P" as well.

    Is there any difference in NVMe SSD Datacenter Edition and NVMe SSD, in benchmark I am seeing less IOPS for datacenter edition.

    And right now write and read speed is 1GBps+ , if I use RAID 10, I can get 4GBps. Will it increase the app performance? If I want to utilize the higher IOPS, do I also need to have high capacity port of 1gbps+

    Thanks

    I think you should see some metrics on your current setup first. Try with glances command on all nodes. Have a look what resources have high usage (CPU, iops, memory, or bandwidth), and that is what you need to upgrade. If you don't find anything, it indicates that maybe your set up needs to be adjusted to use more resources, something like increasing fpm workers or adjust mariadb memory cache.

    Also take a look on access log statistics. I have one site that have high mariadb cpu usage and upgraded the machine to 32 core cpu. It turns out that the site has many bot. After I blocked all bot IP, the site can be run on 6 core with relatively low cpu usage.

    If you use proxysql, it also can become bottleneck to the database because it needs to differentiate read write traffic. Try to use mariadb galera cluster with multimaster setup and haproxy to do tcp balancing.

    If you have site with high traffic, use only the NVMe datacenter edition. It has slightly lower iops, but stable performance. Believe me you don't want to investigate in the future just to find out that your disk iops is throttled and ruin your overall cluster performance.

    Thanked by 1imgmoney
  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @akhfa

    Among these two which will have better response time

    1) proxy SQL - one master + one slave , no gtid validation

    2) tcp load balancing - Galera cluster multi master setup

    I read multi master setup aka multiple writers is slow when comparing with simple master slave replication.

    I believe Galera replication use multiple checks to make data consistency and many other logics. Won’t it make the response time slower than simple master slave setup ?

  • akhfaakhfa Member

    @imgmoney said:
    @akhfa

    Among these two which will have better response time

    1) proxy SQL - one master + one slave , no gtid validation

    2) tcp load balancing - Galera cluster multi master setup

    I read multi master setup aka multiple writers is slow when comparing with simple master slave replication.

    I believe Galera replication use multiple checks to make data consistency and many other logics. Won’t it make the response time slower than simple master slave setup ?

    The best answer is when you try and bench yourself. I don't have Magento cluster, so I don't know what kind of database load it is. In my case, proxysql becomes the bottleneck. Use something like apache bench or https://github.com/tsenart/vegeta

    But again, if your bottleneck is not on your proxysql, I think it is not worth to be tried yet, and focus on your real bottleneck first :wink:

  • Shit, this thread escalated quickly.
    @imgmoney thanks for sharing benchmarks. Please post benchmarks of 7502 and 3900x when you get them.

  • @dodheimsgard said:
    Dual xeon 2670 or stonger. CPU power is most important for me.

    32gb ram

    1x 240gb ssd

    1gbps - 20tb

    1 IPv4 or /29

    24/7 Access to IPMI

    Any location is fine but I prefer europe.

    Hello! We can suggest you
    Amsterdam
    DELL R420/2xE5-2430/32GB(4x8GB PC3-10600 RDIMM)/2x3TB SATA/2x240GB SSD EDGE
    +100mbps= 120$/mo
    https://inxy.com/dedicated-servers/

  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member

    @dodheimsgard

    Here are the benchmark for the same

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2985833
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2990641

    Well, but our application performs well in this spec

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    64GB ECC RAM
    2x1TB NVME

    Why the app didnt perform well in other two specs? I am confused as the other two CPU are way too higher.

    AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - Performance degrade by 5%
    AMD EPYC 7502P - Performance degrade by 100%

    Why?

    I have ordered these machines too

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core
    4x512GB NVMe - RAID 10
    64GB ECC Ram

    and

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core
    2x512GB NVMe - RAID 1
    64GB Non ECC Ram

    Other questions

    1) Do ECC and non ECC Ram plays major role if I use it for HAProxy? Or for Web Servers? I save 5euros, every penny matters.
    2) Since some one told Datacenter NVMe are better as normal NVMe may throttle later. So I have gone with RAID10, am I able to overcome that issue or I am fine with normal NVMe as those config doesnt have Datacenter NVMe

    Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • momkinmomkin Member

    @imgmoney said:
    @dodheimsgard

    Here are the benchmark for the same

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2985833
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2990641

    Well, but our application performs well in this spec

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    64GB ECC RAM
    2x1TB NVME

    Why the app didnt perform well in other two specs? I am confused as the other two CPU are way too higher.

    AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - Performance degrade by 5%
    AMD EPYC 7502P - Performance degrade by 100%

    Why?

    I have ordered these machines too

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core
    4x512GB NVMe - RAID 10
    64GB ECC Ram

    and

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core
    2x512GB NVMe - RAID 1
    64GB Non ECC Ram

    Other questions

    1) Do ECC and non ECC Ram plays major role if I use it for HAProxy? Or for Web Servers? I save 5euros, every penny matters.
    2) Since some one told Datacenter NVMe are better as normal NVMe may throttle later. So I have gone with RAID10, am I able to overcome that issue or I am fine with normal NVMe as those config doesnt have Datacenter NVMe

    Must likely because your application need higher clock speed so 7 3700X base clock speed is higher than the others ( I'm not talking about the turbo ! )

Sign In or Register to comment.