Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE is allocating /24 - Can i get more in future?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE is allocating /24 - Can i get more in future?

Hi,

Is it possible to retain more than /24 subnet at RIPE today? Can i get transfered other /24 to my LIR account? or am I locked to /24 only? How does other people do today? 255 IP address is not that much. The fee/membership for LIR is same as last year, but if I was quick i could had get away with /22

So pricing is a bit unfair. How do you tackle it?

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited July 2020

Just open a second membership, ask for a /24 and transfer/merge them to one after two years. It may possibly be cheaper to lease additional /24s depending on rate and term.

You can also 'buy' v4 space and transfer it to your membership just fine. Please consult the applicable policies: https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-682#2-0-transfers-within-the-ripe-ncc-service-region

• zenkizenki Member

I am curious about this, what will ISPs do if they need more IPs? (Other than moving to IPv6 only). Other registries like APNIC are still issuing more than /24 IP space

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2020

I would rent. Loads of offers on here for £50/month-ish for a /24. Compared to becoming a member or buying on the secondary market, it's a really good option for small assignments.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@RickBakkr said:
    Just open a second membership, ask for a /24 and transfer/merge them to one after two years. It may possibly be cheaper to lease additional /24s depending on rate and term.

You can also 'buy' v4 space and transfer it to your membership just fine. Please consult the applicable policies: https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-682#2-0-transfers-within-the-ripe-ncc-service-region

I always asked
    For second Membership, do i need a second company or can i make a second one on same company?

Maybe you know. Because i also was thinking about making a second. But then i need to form second company? Maybe also just for getting Ipv4?

thanks.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@HostSlick said:

@RickBakkr said:

I always asked
    For second Membership, do i need a second company or can i make a second one on same company?

Maybe you know. Because i also was thinking about making a second. But then i need to form second company? Maybe also just for getting Ipv4?

thanks.

No you don't need to register a new company. It's like a second profile instead.

• @RickBakkr said:

When you merge after 2 years, would i need to pay single LIR fees or double?

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

When you merge after 2 years, would i need to pay single LIR fees or double?

You only pay for the one account.

• alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep

As others already mentioned a RIPE LIR membership is there to hold multiple different IPv4, IPv6 and ASNs. That's the entire point of the membership. You can - as long as you have a valid use case - just request them to assign you the latter two at any point. But for IPv4, as they ran out of available nets, they do not hand them out anymore.

However, with one exception: if you are a new LIR member you can apply for one /24 assignment when available, but they don't guarantee you that you will get one. However, there is chart on their website where you can see the usual waiting time in the queue to get one of these and right now, the queue looks pretty empty, so you should have good chances of an immediate assignment.

• Perhaps you can look for a similar program to the ARIN NRPM 4.4: micro-allocation program. Even though there are no more blocks available, they gave me two /24 blocks for the purpose of facilitating IPv6 transition. So I created a bunch of IPv6-only hosts and they provided 512 IPs free of charge for permanent transfer.

• lowprofilelowprofile Member
    edited July 2020

@Hoptrics said:
    Perhaps you can look for a similar program to the ARIN NRPM 4.4: micro-allocation program. Even though there are no more blocks available, they gave me two /24 blocks for the purpose of facilitating IPv6 transition. So I created a bunch of IPv6-only hosts and they provided 512 IPs free of charge for permanent transfer.

Really good info! thanks!

I just received my ipv4 on/24 yesterday, and a/29 ipv6