Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BSD vs Linux for LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BSD vs Linux for LEB

propro Member
edited February 2012 in General

I hope I don't start a holy war, but I'm curious which has less memory bloat, I typically run on 128 Mb hosts. I've been using linux for a while now, but curious if I can fit more sites on a BSD box.

Comments

• People still use BSD?

:)

Thanked by 1FLVPS
  • I was surprised also, but my company has sites still on it.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

@Damian said: People still use BSD?

:)

Actually, BSD is still widely used.

Its used as a basis for OS X and iOS, and OS X has the largest UNIX desktop market share, and iOS has a huge chunk of the smartphone market.

Also its used in TVs and Embedded Devices. Panasonic's Viera TVs are based on FreeBSD, as well as the PS3 which uses BSD.

So I wouldn't say people intentionally install it anymore, but its still widely used.

The BSD License it sometimes seen as better then the GNU License by some large companies, since the BSD License is not copyleft where as the GNU License is.

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • I don't think you can really count macos and ios as bsds anymore

• Enjoy your frustrations of trying to compile / use ports on 128mb RAM, eventually you'll learn if you go with bare minimum resources you'll get bare minimum results. Not saying it cannot be done, but I can find 10 better things to do with my time.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

BSD is excellent for many uses. FreeNAS, pfSense are built on BSD, to quote just a few projects that are designed to run with low footprint/embedded. It has also the reputation of being more secure than Linux.
    That being said, the user base continues to decline. I think BSD lost against Linux, but having alternatives is always good, especially since they are cousins.
    For LEBs, it is not much better regarding footprint because most things needed are in the userspace and they use similar resources. I dont think using BSD will bring more than 5% more efficiency in resources, in short, only use it if your BSD expertise is at least equal with Linux one. Otherwise not worth the trouble.
    M
    P.S. I love this: http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Any le provider supporting bsd? it would be great to have first hand experience. they say bsd is superbly stable

• flyfly Member

xen hvm and any kvm provider should be able to do bsd.
    off the top of my head:

hostigation
    edis.at

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • tuxtux Member

@yowmamasita said: Any le provider supporting bsd?

VDS6.NET

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • SonicVPS support FreeBSD in KVM Plans.

• @kbar said: xen hvm and any kvm provider should be able to do bsd.

off the top of my head:

hostigation

trying it now on their 128mb kvm box.. will post details later