Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help - Data
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some help - Data

I need some help:

Its a commonly asked question... I have photos copied in several folders (from different phones) in different external discs and my laptop.

What is the best/ recommended approach to consolidate all of them and remove duplicates?

I would like to organize the photos probably by date and event/ location.

I don't mind paying for a tool/ software that can help.

TIA

Comments

• That's a bigger question than I'm prepared to answer in a thread. Here's a taster:

Do a web search on the topic and take it a step at a time.

The first requirement is a filing system. Organise by topic heading then file by date taken. So go /[yyyy]/[yyyymmdd]/topic/fileID in your /Pictures/ directory if on Tux and use a superb photographic manipulation system such as Darktable or RawTherapee for processing them.

Better to use something like Rapid Photo Downoader to download them, which will organise them straight into your filing system.

If on 'doze bin it and install Tux. ;-)

• @dominame said:
    That's a bigger question than I'm prepared to answer in a thread. Here's a taster:

Do a web search on the topic and take it a step at a time.

The first requirement is a filing system. Organise by topic heading then file by date taken. So go /[yyyy]/[yyyymmdd]/topic/fileID in your /Pictures/ directory if on Tux and use a superb photographic manipulation system such as Darktable or RawTherapee for processing them.

Better to use something like Rapid Photo Downoader to download them, which will organise them straight into your filing system.

If on 'doze bin it and install Tux. ;-)

Thank you.
    I have Windows....

For now I have started cataloging photos the yyyymmdd via powershell.

Then if the topic extends multiple days, how would it work? Thanks.

• Doze 10 has a built in photo upload feature, from what I'm told. Last doze release I used was 98 so not able to guide you on that.

Do a search on photo filing system or photo management system - most answers will tell you which doze based software to buy but some actually go through the process. Both DSLRs and mobile phone cameras have been around long enough for the procedure to be pretty much standardised now.

As mooted in my first post above, it is a bit long winded to try and explain in a thread like this. But the concepts are easy enough to grasp. You'll be doing it is if born to do so in no time once you start.

Hope that helps.

• I have my thousands of photos stored on a RAID-1 home NAS. Gotta remember to copy them to it though. :-\ Yeah, I could automate the process but the last thing I want is for my LAN to be saturated when I need it most.

• Or... You could just upload it all to a central seafile instance. (if internet data is plentiful)

Seafile will deduplicate raw blocks for you.

You can sort /move/re-organize the photos on the seafile server later at any browser /seafile client machine

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @vimalware said: You could just upload it all to a central seafile instance.

Backed up, of course. ;)

Thanked by 1plumberg