Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS in China
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS in China

Hi, i am experimenting with some exotic VPS locations.
So i found some vps providers in hong kong, but i would like to have a vps in china for trying the connectivity from europe to china.
Is there a provider , to test it ?

Thanks

Br

Christian

Comments

• edited July 2020

Congrats to your 1st post..

• mlcmlc Member

Welcome to www.alibabacloud.com

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Hongkong is the new China

Thanked by 1tetech
  • SpeedTestSpeedTest Member
    edited July 2020

Hong Kong

2 vCore, 4 GB RAM ECC, 50 GB SSD (RAID 10)

just 6.00 € per month

my aff link | or not

• You can try getting a NAT VPS from https://www.coalcloud.net/cart.php?gid=28

You may need to contact them directly since they require real name verification / probably only accept AliPay/WeChat Pay

• umiumi Member

You should care about 3 major providers for China then: China Telecom/China Unicom/China Mobile. Check the connectivity to those from your planned vps, or your data packets might go from HongKong to Shenzhen (next big city after HK border) via LosAngeles.

• d2411d2411 Member

Yes, i also checked alibabacloud, but the pricing is not transparent.
    Its amazing that a industriy country as china have no real server isps.
    Some other offers ?

• donkodonko Member

@d2411 said:
    Some other offers ?

alibabacloud ECS is expensive, i recommend check this
    https://www.alibabacloud.com/starter-packages/general

Bad thing: speed limit is 30 Mbps

• d2411d2411 Member

Thanks.
    Its okay. 3 dollars
    But this is also Hong Kong. I think i will never find a location in china shenzen etc. ?
    :smiley:
    I am thinking if its a good idea to do that. Behind the big firewall.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited July 2020

@d2411 said:
    Some other offers ?

Chinese internet works completely differently from most other countries. By law, everyone must buy bandwidth from the state. Practically, this means that businesses can only buy bandwidth from the three ISPs (CT/CM/CU). IXPs essentially don't exist other than a few tiny ones that don't really see any traffic.

Broadband is cheap because they rely on it not being used 24/7. FUP is enforced by law (i.e. you can't constantly saturate a broadband connection).

Bandwidth for servers is incredibly expensive, that's why you won't find any good pricing for servers in China. (e.g. SakuraServer charges $10 per megabit at the minimum)

https://www.sakuraserver.com/china-vps.html

• hzrhzr Member

@d2411 said: the pricing is not transparent

It's perfectly transparent, you buy a VM and you buy bandwidth separately. Just like any cloud provider in west.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@ehhthing said:

Bandwidth for servers is incredibly expensive, that's why you won't find any good pricing for servers in China. (e.g. SakuraServer charges $10 per megabit at the minimum)

https://www.sakuraserver.com/china-vps.html

And it is very cheap.

• MarvolMarvol Member

The most convenient way is find a hongkong server with cn2 optimized route. The mainland providers are not cheap ( 1H1G1M for 50usd/years ), and required ICP license.
    I am using a hongkong vps to host my web now.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

I'm running VMs in few AlibabaCloud regions (Shenzhen, Chengdu, Beijing) for testing reachability, GFW blocking etc. It works fine as long as you're aware of limitations of the Chinese internet experience / keep GFW in mind. For example, you can't really rely on DNS resolution, since they do DPI and will spoof answers to blocked sites, returning completely random IPs instead.

You will not need an ICP license as long as you're not planning on hosting any websites. What you will need to do though is to supply a valid ID (e.g. I used an EU issued ID card).

@ehhthing said: By law, everyone must buy bandwidth from the state. Practically, this means that businesses can only buy bandwidth from the three ISPs (CT/CM/CU). IXPs essentially don't exist other than a few tiny ones that don't really see any traffic.

There are a few non-Chinese ISPs in China now, PCCW comes to mind.

• hzrhzr Member

@FHR said: There are a few non-Chinese ISPs in China now, PCCW comes to mind.

PCCW is technically HKT, HK based, and who knows how that works out when China has decided to play 'security law' games

Thanked by 1FHR
  • nature1nature1 Member
    edited July 2020

The Tier 1 (Big 3) Chinese ISPs (China Mobile/China Unicom/China Telecom) exit the majority of their traffic to the Western world in California (San Jose & Los Angeles). If you want direct connectivity from Hong Kong to Mainland China make sure they use PCCW (HKT) which has direct transit/peering to CM/CU/CT. Low end providers in HKG do not use PCCW and your traffic may get routed via California or Japan (Tokyo/Osaka). PCCW Global has their own near Tier 1 global IP backbone like NTT/TATA. Also since your connecting from Europe be prepared for the latency as the majority of China to Europe traffic is routed via the US because its the cheapest route (least cost routing). There's a more expensive route via Singapore/Mumbai/Cairo/Marseille-Frankfurt-Paris-London that allows SE Asia/South Asia/Middle East transit on the new SEA-ME-WE-5 and AAE-1 cable. PCCW in their looking glass calls this the "Europe Express" and there's a premium for it (~150ms Singapore-Frankfurt). The most expensive route to China is the trans-Russian route which I believe the Big 3 only use on a absolute low latency MPLS VPN. Since you are concerned with price you can try a VPS on the Rostelecom/Transtelecom networks as they are the Russian backbone players with direct IP Transit/peering to China over the border.

Thanked by 1nowthisisfun
  • dedipromodedipromo Member
    edited July 2020

Try alibabacloud.com. Pretty sure they have DCs in many CN cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Chongqing, etc. Just bear in mind that if you need to host a website in mainland China, you'll need to apply for an ICP license.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@nature1 said: The Tier 1 (Big 3) Chinese ISPs (China Mobile/China Unicom/China Telecom) exit the majority of their traffic to the Western world in California (San Jose & Los Angeles).

... and London/Frankfurt/Amsterdam for European destinations. I would say a lot of international carriers use that path, e.g. Cogent (usually), Telia, GTT, Level 3 etc...

@nature1 said: Also since your connecting from Europe be prepared for the latency as the majority of China to Europe traffic is routed via the US because its the cheapest route (least cost routing).

I disagree. It's 170ms - 240ms from Europe to various Chinese locations assuming you're using at least decent transit providers. The issue is congestion, which makes latency and packet loss spike way up during the day and make the experience worse.

No way around that really, apart from paying for CN2.

• Sh3lbySh3lby Member

cloud.tencent.com
    aliyun.com