Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mount Linux drives in Windows
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mount Linux drives in Windows

XenosXenos Member

I am currently using Win-sshfs to create network drives from several of my Linux boxes. The ssh connections appear to timeout and have to be reconnected manually. Is there a better solution than Win-sshfs? I need to keep the Windows VPS in the loop. Thanks!

Comments

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2020

Samba shares, if on a LAN?
    Better still, get rid of the Windoze servers! ;p

WebDAV?

• XenosXenos Member

I am not on a LAN. I am using the drives to store my Plex media.

• cochoncochon Member

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Samba shares, if on a LAN?

@Xenos said:
    I am not on a LAN.

Why only on a LAN, I have very few problems accessing Samba shares over the WAN even on high latency broadband connections.

• Rclone?

• djndjn Member

As above rclone or I have a pi4 set up as 2 drives nas that allso shares my remote sshfs mounts over samba

• certainly not the easiest, but I'd do split tunnel VPN + NFS

edited July 2020

Security aspects of samba shares over WAN? Dunno, haven't looked into it and didn't want to recommend without better knowledge. I do use rsync over WebDAV (https) though and no Windoze servers.

• YKMYKM Member

Nfs

• cochoncochon Member

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Security aspects of samba shares over WAN?

...shared out directly on the public interface there is no security, same goes for NFS, and if you wanted to store/access sensitive files you'd have to use a VPN layer as well - OpenVPN,Tinc,Wireguard there's a lot to choose from working both Windows and Linux.

But for this usage scenario, sharing media files, I probably wouldn't bother with the encryption overhead. Use read only shares, firewall off access to port 445 (Samba) on the Linux boxes to stop the unwanted actually having direct access, and then your only security concern is those able to tap your network connection being able to watch what you're watching, again VPN if that's actually a worry.

The advantage of Samba/NFS over rsync/rclone would seem to be direct random seek access to files, of particular use in streaming.

edited July 2020

@cochon you're taking me too literal; I didn't mean to say use rsync, just the WebDAV portion. I was merely pointing out my use case and Nextcloud (which I also use) is actually geared up for file sharing etc.
    Anyway, why do those who use Plex seem to unilaterally broadcast packets to the LAN? Grr. (rhetorical.) Ban 'em, if they can't configure properly. >:)

Thanked by 1cochon