Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorials You'd Like to See?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tutorials You'd Like to See?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What topics would you like to see addressed in future LowEndBox tutorials?

The only requirement is that it be something of general interest to LET/LEB readers.

Comments

• Jona4sJona4s Member

How to start a hosting company

• PwnerPwner Member

How to be a summer host long enough until the next series of classes start

• How to create a SaaS

• How to deadpool 20 hosts at once and get away with it?

• jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited July 2020

Since a lot of hosts are offering free DA, would be of interest to a lot of readers how to install DA and maybe install NGINX or LS/OLS (I know there are guides out there). Also how to secure it, best practices, how to create a custom hostname (panel.domain.com) with SSL, etc etc etc.

Thanked by 1Intelpentium0
  • How about a fusion of low-end servers and unique ways to use them, featuring talent that frequents LET?

One person that comes to mind is @Nyr with his OpenVPN/Wireguard installer scripts. LET isn't really a privacy/VPN forum but here is a super talented guy like @Nyr hanging out with us.

I think things like this would be much better than generic tutorials that don't really have a community feel to them.

Thanked by 2larmarat default
  • edited July 2020

I would like to know:

1)

What? How to replace an existing OS with another one without having to use web console.
    Why? When you purchase a VPS, there is a pre-installed OS (e.g. ubuntu), I would like to ssh in and run some commands to replace it without having to mount an ISO and restart to perform installation.

2)

What? How to create your standard custom installation ISO that can perform OS installation without human intervention?
    Why? If no. 1) is too difficult, I would like to resort to this approach. I would like to mount my ISO, restart and installation would be done automatically without human intervention.

Thank you!

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    How to deadpool 20 hosts at once and get away with it?

OR
    How to turn a blind eye for potential scammy hosts being reported by the community and not giving a fcuk about it since its warming your pockets and then later declare you were just a pawn, coming down clean, to whitewash your image by publishing interviews of some members.

/jk

A tutorial on setting up stuff on minimal specs (low end VMs) would be good.

EDIT:
    Making use of low end VM to setup a home security solution? (which allows you see the camera feed even via external internet - data being transmitted via the low end VM, for, extra security)

• OujiOuji Member

OpenLDAP or FreeIPA.

• PHDanPHDan Member

Proxmox on Hetzner with routed and bridged networking.

• @DA_Mark said:
    How about a fusion of low-end servers and unique ways to use them, featuring talent that frequents LET?

This sounds like a good call!

• kennsannkennsann Member
    edited July 2020

@PHDan said:
    Proxmox on Hetzner with routed and bridged networking.

Using 1 IP. Would be interested too.

Guide on making a webserver and reverse proxying using nginx with native apps and dockers, and securing with ssl (letsencrypt).

Bonus: How to use a subdomain for reverse proxy on another server.

• I'd like to see two things highlighted:

1) We see too many questions on how to address brute force dictionary type attacks. An article expounding the virtues of fail2ban or sshguard would be helpful here. I've been using both for many years, and have had good success.

2) Similarly, we don't talk a lot here about periodic analysis of log files to review security concerns (unexpected logins, brute force attacks, etc) or performance concerns (OOM, services not starting properly, postfix/pflogsumm, etc). What do the successful hosts / users do in their periodic review of log files, how frequently they review, and examples of how that helped them get better?

• Incremental remote backup with only command line. No idea what kind of software is needed, if this even exist, but would definitely be cool.

• @ben47955 said:
    Incremental remote backup with only command line. No idea what kind of software is needed, if this even exist, but would definitely be cool.

rsnapshot FTW!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said: How to deadpool 20 hosts at once and get away with it?

@BlaZe said: How to turn a blind eye for potential scammy hosts being reported by the community and not giving a fcuk about it since its warming your pockets and then later declare you were just a pawn, coming down clean, to whitewash your image by publishing interviews of some members.

Funny, when you two had the opportunity to ask ownership any question you wanted, you suddenly had nothing to say.

Thanked by 2SCAM_DONT_BUY BlaZe
  • imokimok Member

@raindog308 said: What topics would you like to see addressed in future LowEndBox tutorials?

High availablity: MariaDB Galera cluster, file system cluster, haproxy, varnish...

Thanked by 1limited
  • SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited July 2020

@raindog308 said:

@BlaZe said: How to turn a blind eye for potential scammy hosts being reported by the community and not giving a fcuk about it since its warming your pockets and then later declare you were just a pawn, coming down clean, to whitewash your image by publishing interviews of some members.

Funny, when you two had the opportunity to ask ownership any question you wanted, you suddenly had nothing to say.

Yeah, because this question isn't targeted at Biloh. He is just a puppet. (regarding my question)

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • De-Googling, or generally, how to go about your business online avoiding surveillance capitalism.

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited July 2020

Tutorials on setting up your own service (i.e. emby for media streaming). How to turn your idling VPS into a low end cash earner.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 how about an updated guide to running your own dns cluster?

https://web.archive.org/web/20180826152046/https://freevps.us/thread-2349.html

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @imok said:

@raindog308 said: What topics would you like to see addressed in future LowEndBox tutorials?

High availablity: MariaDB Galera cluster, file system cluster, haproxy, varnish...

glusterfs setup would be good as well!

• But its not for hetzner. I read somewhere that you need to get mac addresses for each NAT VM. Not so sure so correct me if I am wrong, so wanted to get a guide specifically for hetzner.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Tutorial to link all idling servers into one big, combined, storage space. :)

• How to install cdp.me and more importantly how to remove it from a storage KVM..

• iSkyiSky Member

how to setup reverse proxy maybe

• @BlaZe said:
    EDIT:
    Making use of low end VM to setup a home security solution? (which allows you see the camera feed even via external internet - data being transmitted via the low end VM, for, extra security)

You do realize going through a low end VPS is less secure (and slower) than securing your home camera access?

• @raindog308 said:

Solution: make every thread a JB ama thread.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • @rajprakash said:
    I'd like to see two things highlighted:

1) We see too many questions on how to address brute force dictionary type attacks. An article expounding the virtues of fail2ban or sshguard would be helpful here. I've been using both for many years, and have had good success.

2) Similarly, we don't talk a lot here about periodic analysis of log files to review security concerns (unexpected logins, brute force attacks, etc) or performance concerns (OOM, services not starting properly, postfix/pflogsumm, etc). What do the successful hosts / users do in their periodic review of log files, how frequently they review, and examples of how that helped them get better?

+100 this. I was thinking of starting a thread asking about what IDS people use.

I was testing with IPBan Professional (free in beta testing) but in Windows it was using a lot of CPU, but it had automated abuse email sending, which I'd like to do on all my servers. It really bothers me looking through logwatch reports and see people attacking the server with impunity.