Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VolumeDrive - Disappointed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VolumeDrive - Disappointed

0xdragon0xdragon Member
edited November 2013 in Reviews

Hardware:

5/10 My hardware was reasonably new, aside from the hard drive, which had a large number of years on it. I was quite worried about the drive failing on me as I was to use it as a production server.

Network:

8/10 Pretty much the only good thing about this provider is their network, which is exceptional.

Payment:

2/10 Paying through their portal was fine, until they told me that I hadn't paid to the correct address ([email protected] vs ([email protected]). How was it my fault that their portal was incorrect. It took a number of hours of confusing, conflicting information before they finally told me everything was fine and that they'd have my server up that day or the next day (read below for what actually happened).

Support:

0/10 Literally the worst support in history:

Firstly, they couldn't even get their PayPal account right on their orders. Then, they delayed my server being racked for 5 days- even though I had been told they would do it that day.

Next, a member of their team authorized me to get a second drive for free as the drive I was using had over 6 years on the clock. Next minute, another person from the team hit me with a $20 bill, to which I then told them that this was supposed to be no-cost. They then went off to confirm it, which they finally did. It then took almost a WEEK to get my new drive installed, with them telling me every single day that they would do it "in a few hours". In the end, I got so fed up, I didn't even USE my server for the purpose I'd intended.

About 5-7 days before my bill was due, I told their support to cancel my server at the end of the billing period, to which they replied: "Okay, this has been reflected on your account."

Yesterday, I received an email from Dominick, which told me "Hey your payment is late!" along with a bill.

I'm fed up with their support. They seriously need to solve their communication problems.

Final score:
3/10
I recommend you choose another provider, or think carefully about what you want before choosing this one.

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• wow.... almost get one from them and got this review... maybe someone from volumedrive can explain this

• yeah.l almost done to get one from VD...waiting response about this thread from VD team

• i would suggest directly email to josh[AT]volumedrive.com, he gets to bottom of every cases and will also compensate you during the few days of no-service.

• Well, on the bright side, things like this could be improved.

• @Ivan said:
    Well, on the bright side, things like this could be improved.

As I said, I would really like them to pull together to improve their customer's experience with their services. The only real bad thing was the support.

• "only good thing about this provider is their network, which is exceptional."

it's 99% cogent lol (cheap bw)

• TO people above: do you even do a little due diligence before you choose a provider? Volumedrive is currently amongst the riskiest business to buy a server from. Did you follow the threads on WHT that say:

• Volumedrive left Burstnet and moved to a self operated dataroom, leaving Burstnet with a large amount of open invoices that will be claimed in court.
    • Volumedrive left without the blessing of their equipments Leasing company, making it likely the leasing company will take steps to reclaim the servers on lease.
    • The customers were down for 5+ days during this unannounced migration.
    • Other creditors are chasing up Volumedrive as well
    • Volumedrive left a large amount of servers behind, affecting all clients on these servers.

And this is just the recent trouble discussed on WHT.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited November 2013

@TarZZ92 said:
    "only good thing about this provider is their network, which is exceptional."

Worked for me :)

@Swiftway said:
    TO people above: do you even do a little due diligence before you choose a provider? Volumedrive is currently amongst the riskiest business to buy a server from. -snip-

This.

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited November 2013

@TarZZ92 said:
    "only good thing about this provider is their network, which is exceptional."

It's a bit weird, but even if it is pure cogent, network is really fast, at least for me :). Only small downside was that I saw some connectivity issues to Europe. Maybe 3 or 4 times @ 2-4 AM EST, which I really don't care.

About volume drive/burst.net fiasco, I took everything with a grain of salt. We don't know the whole story, doubt if we will. That said, if you need a dedi to host anything mission critical, looking for a "led" isn't the right thing to do. Just think about it, you pay a very small premium - I doubt they earn more than 5$-10$ per server.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

wait .. what? with all the stellar reviews of VD you expected different? :D

haha

Seriously though, they are called 'volume' drive for a reason, they just attract massive volumes of clients with price, you get what you get and if you are not happy they don't care because 3 others are waiting to take your place.

• shawn123shawn123 Member
    edited November 2013

This is the reason their prices are low compared to other providers.If you see their pricing i don't think any other good reputable provider will be able to offer the server with the same pricing like volumedrive.So price decrease obliviously affect the quality.Also in the end i can say you get what you pay for.

• @Swiftway said:
    TO people above: do you even do a little due diligence before you choose a provider? Volumedrive is currently amongst the riskiest business to buy a server from. Did you follow the threads on WHT that say:

• Volumedrive left Burstnet and moved to a self operated dataroom, leaving Burstnet with a large amount of open invoices that will be claimed in court.
    • Volumedrive left without the blessing of their equipments Leasing company, making it likely the leasing company will take steps to reclaim the servers on lease.
    • The customers were down for 5+ days during this unannounced migration.
    • Other creditors are chasing up Volumedrive as well
    • Volumedrive left a large amount of servers behind, affecting all clients on these servers.

And this is just the recent trouble discussed on WHT.

wow..... that was something need to worried about, maybe a little luck i got another dedicated. but dunno to if it was wise to choose them.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

To be fair.. I felt Josh from volumedrive went above and beyond to what amounts to be a $20/mo server.
    He responded to my email even at 5AM on a Saturday morning and on another occasion complied with my request for a hard drive upgrade, which to my surprise was completed in less than 1/2 HR.. They even followed through and completed my request for IPV6 when IPV6 was made available without anymore correspondence on my part..

But it's not always peaches and cream. I had a far less than favorable experience trying to order a reseller VPS.. came to the point I somewhat lost my motivation and decided that it's best to just put the credit towards my server.

Seems every experience vary, but just wanted to point out that it's not always all bad.

Thanked by 2cfgguy volumedrive
  • @Swiftway said:
    TO people above: do you even do a little due diligence before you choose a provider? Volumedrive is currently amongst the riskiest business to buy a server from. Did you follow the threads on WHT that say:

Completely untrue and an attempt yet again by burst to bash us for leaving their facility. They have never once brandished proof that anything was owed to them. If you'd like to take a tour of our new facility, by all means, please schedule it.

We've said it before and will say it again, we have current action being pursued against burst and cannot comment further. We have been absolutely stable and without issue since the migration into our new facility and have zero pending issues or "risk". Fact of the matter is we deliver budget dedicated hosting that is stable and reliable.

• @earl said:
    To be fair.. I felt Josh from volumedrive went above and beyond to what amounts to be a $20/mo server.
    He responded to my email even at 5AM on a Saturday morning and on another occasion complied with my request for a hard drive upgrade, which to my surprise was completed in less than 1/2 HR.. They even followed through and completed my request for IPV6 when IPV6 was made available without anymore correspondence on my part..

Thank you for the positive feedback. Glad to see our hard work and dedication does not go completely noticed.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @shawn123 said:
    This is the reason their prices are low compared to other providers.If you see their pricing i don't think any other good reputable provider will be able to offer the server with the same pricing like volumedrive.So price decrease obliviously affect the quality.Also in the end i can say you get what you pay for.

Feel free to try us out before you comment. You may just be surprised when you get "quality" at a discounted price.

• volumedrivevolumedrive Member
    edited November 2013

@CastleServers said:
    Hardware:

5/10 My hardware was reasonably new, aside from the hard drive, which had a large number of years on it. I was quite worried about the drive failing on me as I was to use it as a production server.

If you are concerned about the drive time, we can certainly swap this out for a different drive.

Network:

8/10 Pretty much the only good thing about this provider is their network, which is exceptional.

Glad to see the network is working well :)

Payment:

2/10 Paying through their portal was fine, until they told me that I hadn't paid to the correct address ([email protected] vs ([email protected]). How was it my fault that their portal was incorrect. It took a number of hours of confusing, conflicting information before they finally told me everything was fine and that they'd have my server up that day or the next day (read below for what actually happened).

This has completely been corrected since.

Support:

0/10 Literally the worst support in history:

Next, a member of their team authorized me to get a second drive for free as the drive I was using had over 6 years on the clock. Next minute, another person from the team hit me with a $20 bill, to which I then told them that this was supposed to be no-cost. They then went off to confirm it, which they finally did. It then took almost a WEEK to get my new drive installed, with them telling me every single day that they would do it "in a few hours". In the end, I got so fed up, I didn't even USE my server for the purpose I'd intended.

Glad to see the drive issue was resolved for you and a second drive was provided free of charge.

About 5-7 days before my bill was due, I told their support to cancel my server at the end of the billing period, to which they replied: "Okay, this has been reflected on your account."

Yesterday, I received an email from Dominick, which told me "Hey your payment is late!" along with a bill.

We have spoken to Dominick about exactly what happened here. You had requested cancellation of your $19.95 dedicated server before the bill was set to renew. When it became past due, we sent you an update asking you to definitively confirm the cancellation before reclaiming and canceling the server. You were not billed, billed automatically, etc.. a simple confirmation is all that we were asking for.

We appreciate your review and will take the points you've outlined with consideration to the efficiency of our support and look forward to offering reasonably priced dedicated services with a high level of support.

• @dobuz said:
    i would suggest directly email to josh[AT]volumedrive.com, he gets to bottom of every cases and will also compensate you during the few days of no-service.

Very true. We are not out at all to provide a bad experience to anyone hosting with us and very much take a vested interest in our reputation and quality of service. Anyone can write me directly at anytime josh[AT]volumedrive.com for any issue, complaint or just general questions. We also have a direct general phone if anything is ever taking "too long" or if anyone wants expedited responses.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited November 2013

Lol...

I find it weird that people still go with VolumeDrive anymore. There are much better hosts out their now, with similar pricing. OVH BHS for example not only has a far better network, but the prices seem to be about the same.

• MorningIrisMorningIris Member
    edited November 2013

@volumedrive Why your vps OS selection has all stone-age templates only?
    Centos 5, Debian 5, no 6, 7, and also look at other available OS from the list...Funny.

• @MorningIris said:
    volumedrive Why your vps OS selection has all stone-age templates only?
    Centos 5, Debian 5, no 6, 7, and also look at other available OS from the list...Funny.

We can install any OS template that anyone requests. Our KVM based VPS offers are updated. Existing VPS packages will be updated soon based on SolusVM OVZ as our client platform.

• @volumedrive said:
    We've said it before and will say it again, we have current action being pursued against burst and cannot comment further.

GoRack too, right?! It's all just a "mis-understanding" that will get sorted out in a few months, probably conveniently just enough time for you to jump to another datacenter.

• We are not "jumping" or going anywhere. Thank you for your concern @Microlinux. Our migration into our new facility has been quite successful considering the uptime and services we have been delivering.

• Where exactly in PA is your new DC?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I have a server with @VolumeDrive and in fact this is my second box. Josh has always provided quality customer service, although I will agree that some requests take a while to actually happen, they are usually pretty quick to compensate you for that.

That being said Josh responds to emails and tickets with a smile in his voice, and has never been "bad" to me as a customer.

Sometimes you just have to wait for things, but the network is good, the hardware is as promised, and they will do anything in their power to make a customer happy.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • I can confirm that these guys are exceptionally bad.

• edited November 2013

finally, VD came in response from the comments there,
    and I was challenged to do the order and pay the invoice on Thu 20:03 (Indonesian time), it's almost 6 hours account is not yet active.

not a problem, probably because VD have many orders. And waiting is the thing that sucks...LOL

With respect to VD,

I want to know immediately VD service and network, so that I could comment with my experience...

@volumedrive please check my PM..

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited November 2013

volumedrive said: We are not "jumping" or going anywhere.

I imagine that's what you told GoRack and Burst . . . and here we find ourselves today.