Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?! - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?!

Comments

• HostVDS_comHostVDS_com Member, Patron Provider

@ePAN said:

@cochon said:
    I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong, that if you create an instance on Monthly billing and destroy it after an hour or so you will get charged 1 x Monthly rate?

Yes, it seems when you choose monthly billing, you will be charged an entirely month cost after you destroy it even you only use the server a day or so. No pro-rate.

Yes, we will add alert before deleting. Also you can simply reinstall server if you need change OS for exmaple, it works great.

Thanked by 1uni9
  • uni9uni9 Member

When will the amsterdam be available?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • HostVDS_comHostVDS_com Member, Patron Provider

@uni9 said:
    When will the amsterdam be available?

In next month, I think.

Thanked by 1uni9
  • @ViridWeb said: Maybe because of Dictatorship?
    I think most people want stability..

?
    Hong Kong is ranked at the 3rd place of the Human Freedom Index 2019, while Singapore ranked 30th.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@chihcherng said:

@ViridWeb said: Maybe because of Dictatorship?

?
    Hong Kong is ranked at the 3rd place of the Human Freedom Index 2019

Will be ranked at > 100 this year.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2020

So... here I am wanting to contact support. This is in @HostVDS_com support page:

Then I send a message, and I get the following reply:

Hello ,

The email sent to Hostvds Support <s*****[email protected]> cannot be processed. This address is used to collect replies and should not be used to directly contact Cloud Solutions LLC.

Please contact us instead using s*****[email protected]

Regards,

The Cloud Solutions LLC team.

So, what should I do now? They basically reply stating to message at the exact same address, because the exact same address is for replies only. What?

DISCLAIMER: I tried to hide the email address, to protect the email from spam and crawlers.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @chihcherng said:

?
    Hong Kong is ranked at the 3rd place of the Human Freedom Index 2019, while Singapore ranked 30th.

Have you checked the news lately? I think might be dropping a few spots. In fact with the way things are going, I think it's possible that Hong Kong offers may go away for non Chinese citizens.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

@chihcherng said:

?

That's history my friend. Things are changed

• @chihcherng said:

?

There is protests 8n Hong Kong for months. They passed a law which allows China control Hong Kong. They are China now.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2020

Hong Kong is now Super Hong Kong.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member

@HostVDS_com Do you have a looking glass or something? I need to test ping and some traceroutes.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@HostVDS_com I can't use Hong Kong VPS as a VPN server because my search results will be all in simplified Chinese LOL

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@default said:
    Then I send a message, and I get the following reply:

Same here.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • defaultdefault Veteran

As a side note, the panel of HostVDS and it's pricing, reminds me of AboveClouds, a VPS company ran by @Jacob in UK, but it got dissolved a few years ago. That was quite good while it lasted.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • G4SHIG4SHI Member

How to get root access of my vps @HostVDS_com ??

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Thanked by 2G4SHI HostVDS_com
  • GanonkGanonk Member

hot threads on this month :lol:

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • _MS__MS_ Member

@HostVDS_com said:
    Hi guys!
    I work at HostVDS.com and will try to answer all your questions.
    First of all, we are not scammers, we are just trying to make a cloud, like DO or Vultr, at the best price. :)
    Feel free to ask your questions here - I will try to reply.

Hi,

Is there any government support/involvement/cooperation in your business?

Thanks.

@dedipromo said:
    Considering the price, the result is pretty acceptable. I'll keep monitoring the server and see if the uptime is good.

Yes, please do keep track of the uptime, and update here.

@ernie88 said:
    Instead, I went with AlexHost that offers KVM 1.5GB RAM, 10GB SSD for 1€/m with yearly payment and appears to be a registered company in Moldova. The server just got provisioned so I can post bench if anyone interested.

They have some nice info on their 'Datacenter & Location' page.

@default said:
    Yeah, sure there will always be people mocking a very cheap offer by running Tor exit. This is why we do not deserve nice things.

I hope the host prepares a strict AUP/TOC if they aim to offer a stable service at such prices.

• Anyone vps with 1$/month? :)

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • G4SHIG4SHI Member

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Now i cant login to sftp with root :neutral:

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Why do you need to login as root?

I see a lot of people here complaining that they can’t get root access, apparently knowing so little about Linux that I get the feeling that they shouldn’t be managing an internet facing server at all.

• G4SHIG4SHI Member

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

I see a lot of people here complaining that they can’t get root access, apparently knowing so little about Linux that I get the feeling that they shouldn’t be managing an internet facing server at all.

Why do i need root login ? Because i ordered a VDS which should give me root not users.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Why do i need root login ? Because i ordered a VDS which should give me root not users.

And you can easily run everything as root with sudo or change to root with sudo su - . It’s just that root login through SSH is turned off by default. That’s not uncommon, because it could save your ass from bots trying to gain easy acces.

So why do you need to login as root?

The fact that you and a lot of other users ask this question really worries me though. If you don’t know these kind of basic commands it really makes me wonder why you’re managing an internet facing server.

• G4SHIG4SHI Member

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

And you can easily run everything as root with sudo or change to root with sudo su - . It’s just that root login through SSH is turned off by default. That’s not uncommon, because it could save your ass from bots trying to gain easy acces.

The fact that you and a lot of other users ask this question really worries me though. If you don’t know these kind of basic commands it really makes me wonder why you’re managing an internet facing server.

Because even dont let me to connect via sftp with root and i have my reasons why i need root so what its bad here im not allowed to get the root ?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2020

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

You live in 2020. You are no longer in the 90's where you login as root. Root access is insecure in SSH. The openssh-server blocks root login by default; this is the default, this is the standard nowadays, because many bots and hackers online scan open SSH ports (like 22), and brute-force passwords by attempting user root (basically a software tries to login on your server, using user "root" and many combinations of dictionary words, very fast).

To secure this, you must have a username that only you know (like "charliebanana") and a very complex password. After you login with the user, you simply use: "su - root" and use the root password, so now you are root. Access to root superuser by default is a serious security issue. I appreciate providers who take this into consideration when offering customers a VPS service.

If you really, but really, like really really, want to open login of root in SSH, you simply type the command:

echo "PermitRootLogin yes" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config ; service ssh restart

This enables root login in SSH, and restarts the ssh service. Now you can login to root by default, but make sure you REALLY want this and have a VERY VERY strong password on root superuser.

Thanked by 2donko HostVDS_com
  • G4SHIG4SHI Member

@default said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

You live in 2020. You are no longer in the 90's where you login as root. Root access is insecure in SSH. The openssh-server blocks root login by default; this is the default, this is the standard nowadays, because many bots and hackers online scan open SSH ports (like 22), and brute-force passwords by attempting user root (basically a software tries to login on your server, using user "root" and many combinations of dictionary words, very fast).

To secure this, you must have a username that only you know (like "charliebanana") and a very complex password. After you login with the user, you simply use: "su - root" and use the root password, so now you are root. Access to root superuser by default is a serious security issue. I appreciate providers who take this into consideration when offering customers a VPS service.

If you really, but really, like really really, want to open login of root in SSH, you simply type the command:

This enables root login in SSH, and restarts the ssh service. Now you can login to root by default, but make sure you REALLY want this and have a VERY VERY strong password on root superuser.

Actually this doesnt work for some reason , and i know all of the words that you mentonied but i prefer to login via root and change my ssh port.

• @G4SHI said:

@default said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Actually this doesnt work for some reason , and i know all of the words that you mentonied but i prefer to login via root and change my ssh port.

Try to edit sshd_config in your preferred editor and manually restart it afterwards. Chances are you’d have to set a password first. But I’d still advise you to use root login with an SSH-key.

Not doing everything as root is always a good practice by the way. Makes you think twice before entering a command and screwing things up.

My rant is not only aimed at you, by the way. It’s aimed at anyone here who is confused about not logging in as root. I really hope I’m totally wrong, but still gives me the feeling that they know too little about managing a public server to do so.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Because even dont let me to connect via sftp with root and i have my reasons why i need root so what its bad here im not allowed to get the root ?

As per previous comments they restricted root access for security reason (Many provider do the same including OVH if I'm not wrong)

So you can't using root. You have to use sudo for every task

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • amadex1337amadex1337 Member
    edited July 2020

@ViridWeb said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

As per previous comments they restricted root access for security reason (Many provider do the same including OVH if I'm not wrong)

So you can't using root. You have to use sudo for every task

Sudo is name for males in Bosnia & Herzegovina :blush: I think they get all girls they like.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Actually, if I remember correctly, when was created sudo came from: "switch user and do". Personally I do not like "sudo". I am a millenial, coming from the 90's, and I learned to use "root" as a superuser back then, and be very careful what command I use as superuser. Sudo defeats that responsibility when seeing # instead of $ at terminal.

I still appreciate FreeBSD for not offering sudo by default.