Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?!

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@HostVDS_com said:

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Let's wait until some pedo or hacker or some malicious tor user's using the exit nodes. Which one will be raided first. Vps user or the provider?

• edit : whatever, it's not my vps, and it's not me as provider. All people had their rights and their ideas for using their own resources.

We are ISP owner and we have own fiber, own uplinks and ix connection, nobody can shut down us. So do not worry about us :)

Now that's just being cocky/arrogant.

There are various agencies/authorities that can take serious actions when deemed necessary :)

• HostVDS_comHostVDS_com Member, Patron Provider

@thedp said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Let's wait until some pedo or hacker or some malicious tor user's using the exit nodes. Which one will be raided first. Vps user or the provider?

• edit : whatever, it's not my vps, and it's not me as provider. All people had their rights and their ideas for using their own resources.

We are ISP owner and we have own fiber, own uplinks and ix connection, nobody can shut down us. So do not worry about us :)

Now that's just being cocky/arrogant.

There are various agencies/authorities that can take serious actions when deemed necessary :)

Sure, but we are taking actions against the abuses - so no problem here.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited June 2020

NVM I'm stupid

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com

@serv_ee said:
    NVM I'm stupid

What ?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2020

@ayiemy said:
    I see many members got offended by my remark of running tor (*especially tor exit node).

I not sure why tor is a taboo subject for some (for me it's just a public access VPN + privacy), incase my earlier remark offended you I'm sorry.

For me tor is not a "test new provider" kinda thing (I don't simply run tor in all my account), a provider who allows tor in their network do have balls (eg. BuyVM allow exit node with a few restrictions/regulations and I abide by their rules.).

I support free speech and internet privacy to a certain extend (doesn't mean I support all illegal activities in dark web. Illegal activies do run on surface web too), i do love give back and support non-profit organisation (such as tor), I got spare resources (idle bandwidth/cpu) in my disposal so I gave back to community (apart of money, time and knowledge which I do not have much).

In HostVDS case, I don't see their TOS on the site (yet). When they come out with clear TOS, then I will abide by the rules. Not in a million years my action was intended to abuse them is anyway (unlucky me tor was the first service I load in their server and I mentioned it here), I love supporting new provider especially someone who can come with an attractive package as HostVDS.

Again, sorry for my remark about running tor. I'm not sorry for running them.

Tor is not a taboo subject at all. Tor is a way for providing anonymity online. You do not have to apologize for bringing Tor into discussion.

However, because you knowingly open a Tor exit node, on an extremely rare offer from a new provider which does not even have "Terms of Service" and "Acceptable Use Policy" specified, you immediately get attention. You don't care about the provider (because you would have asked first), you don't care about this community (because you would not brag about it), and yet you pose as an online martyr (because it's legal since is not specified by provider, and you actually use spare resources).

You state "not in a million years my action was intended to abuse them is anyway", yet you know what Tor exit node is, and you know provider is new on the market. For this remark only, I shall now declare you That Guy from the rules of LET. It's the guy who takes, gives nothing back, likes to make an entrance, and posts as a hero while ignoring netiquette. If it smells like a dick, acts like a dick, and thinks like a dick... it's a dick.

I am not sorry either for you running Tor. I am sorry just for HostVDS in this scenario, because this was really a great offer.

And because most likely you will want to answer and appear like a hero, :

• here is what you say: "for me it's just a public access VPN + privacy"
    • and here is what HostVDS replied, but you did not even bother to read: "If you using it for your own needs - no problem. If you will use it as a public needs - abuses may come"

Now please be a gentleman "That Guy" again from the rules, and explain us how you don't even know what abuse complaints are, and how abuse complaints are not related to Tor exit nodes from other providers.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@HostVDS_com said:

@Iroshan464 said:
    This is awesome.
    This is a dirt cheap new provider.
    But don't use it for something useful.
    One is running a Tor exit node, other a game server, another wants torrents.
    And we wonder what happens to new providers who come to LET.

Do not worry, it is not a problem for us, if somebody will run TOR exit node and wont close SMTP - he will got abuses soon and we will suspend it. Other customers wont have any problems with it.

But are you saying that, if they close SMTP port (or add it to their reject policy), they can host a Tor Exit Node? What about all the other sorts of abuse?...

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com

@Edmond said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@Iroshan464 said:
    This is awesome.
    This is a dirt cheap new provider.
    But don't use it for something useful.
    One is running a Tor exit node, other a game server, another wants torrents.
    And we wonder what happens to new providers who come to LET.

Do not worry, it is not a problem for us, if somebody will run TOR exit node and wont close SMTP - he will got abuses soon and we will suspend it. Other customers wont have any problems with it.

But are you saying that, if they close SMTP port (or add it to their reject policy), they can host a Tor Exit Node? What about all the other sorts of abuse?...

If abuses will come - we will give you a time to solve, if abuses will come again we will suspend you. Very simple. We have own IP addresses, so nobody like DC or Uplink will suspend us. We control it. But we do not ignore abuses.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@sanvit said:
    Please don’t tell me someone’s actually running an exit node :(

Well... since someone claimed that they are, wonder hope long it'll take before it shows up here: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:56971

• Thanks @default 👍

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • host4cheaphost4cheap Member
    edited June 2020

@HostVDS_com I think there is a lot of excitement with your service now and people are waiting to hear more from you.

A rough roadmap for key changes will be appreciated

For example
    Availability of Dallas, Amsterdam - Aug 2020
    Availability of Hong Kong - Oct 2020
    Ability to mount custom ISO - ?
    Snapshots/Backups - ?
    IPv6 - ?
    Rough cost of Additional Storage Volume - 6.00$/TB/month ?
    Any equivalent of Object Storage like S3, Backblaze - ?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com

@host4cheap said:
    @HostVDS_com I think there is a lot of excitement with your service now and people are waiting to hear more from you.

For example
    Snapshots/Backups - ?
    IPv6 - ?

Ok, we will try to prepare public road map.

Additional Storage Volumes price is $39/TB/month.

Does anybody need S3? We can easy deploy it, our billing is ready for it.

• cochoncochon Member
    edited June 2020

@Pwner said:

@HyperK9 said:
    My IP is mail blacklisted in these databases
    b.barracudacentral.org FAIL
    sbl.spamhaus.org FAIL
    zen.spamhaus.org FAIL
    In fact, their entire /23 is blacklisted on Spamhaus https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL487869

Which should only be a problem if you're planning to run a mail server. But if you're planning to run a production application/mail server on a $0.79/month VPS, you've got other problems.

And I suspect those problems exist for HostVDS themselves, I've just registered, and like others in this thread no welcome mail has turned up (on mxroute). Can anyone who has their welcome e-mail confirm what server address(es) HostVDS are sending from.

Edit: I see they recommend a PM for manual activation for others in the same boat, will try that.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • I had the email confirmation after registering comes from support@ hostvds.com, and smtp-relay.hostvds.com

Thanked by 2cochon HostVDS_com
  • ayiemyayiemy Member

@default said:

@ayiemy said:
    I see many members got offended by my remark of running tor (*especially tor exit node).

I not sure why tor is a taboo subject for some (for me it's just a public access VPN + privacy), incase my earlier remark offended you I'm sorry.

For me tor is not a "test new provider" kinda thing (I don't simply run tor in all my account), a provider who allows tor in their network do have balls (eg. BuyVM allow exit node with a few restrictions/regulations and I abide by their rules.).

I support free speech and internet privacy to a certain extend (doesn't mean I support all illegal activities in dark web. Illegal activies do run on surface web too), i do love give back and support non-profit organisation (such as tor), I got spare resources (idle bandwidth/cpu) in my disposal so I gave back to community (apart of money, time and knowledge which I do not have much).

In HostVDS case, I don't see their TOS on the site (yet). When they come out with clear TOS, then I will abide by the rules. Not in a million years my action was intended to abuse them is anyway (unlucky me tor was the first service I load in their server and I mentioned it here), I love supporting new provider especially someone who can come with an attractive package as HostVDS.

Again, sorry for my remark about running tor. I'm not sorry for running them.

Tor is not a taboo subject at all. Tor is a way for providing anonymity online. You do not have to apologize for bringing Tor into discussion.

However, because you knowingly open a Tor exit node, on an extremely rare offer from a new provider which does not even have "Terms of Service" and "Acceptable Use Policy" specified, you immediately get attention. You don't care about the provider (because you would have asked first), you don't care about this community (because you would not brag about it), and yet you pose as an online martyr (because it's legal since is not specified by provider, and you actually use spare resources).

You state "not in a million years my action was intended to abuse them is anyway", yet you know what Tor exit node is, and you know provider is new on the market. For this remark only, I shall now declare you That Guy from the rules of LET. It's the guy who takes, gives nothing back, likes to make an entrance, and posts as a hero while ignoring netiquette. If it smells like a dick, acts like a dick, and thinks like a dick... it's a dick.

I am not sorry either for you running Tor. I am sorry just for HostVDS in this scenario, because this was really a great offer.

And because most likely you will want to answer and appear like a hero, :

• here is what you say: "for me it's just a public access VPN + privacy"
    • and here is what HostVDS replied, but you did not even bother to read: "If you using it for your own needs - no problem. If you will use it as a public needs - abuses may come"

Now please be a gentleman "That Guy" again from the rules, and explain us how you don't even know what abuse complaints are, and how abuse complaints are not related to Tor exit nodes from other providers.

Never mind, you can have your way, or call any way (or any name/nickname) you want. It's your right. I'm ending discussion to end future conflicts. EOF.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @HostVDS_com said:

@host4cheap said:

For example
    Snapshots/Backups - ?
    IPv6 - ?

I mean you will definitely have interest for S3 equivalent if durability, availability can be proved along with prices which can beat BackBlaze or Wasabi - 6$ /tb

• RecDRecD Member

Less than 1$/m!
    Would like to have a try but now idling too many VPSes and busy at the very moment..
    Will still glad to wait until HK Datacenter and IPv6. :smile:

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@ayiemy said:

Never mind, you can have your way, or call any way (or any name/nickname) you want. It's your right. I'm ending discussion to end future conflicts. EOF.

Thank you.

• zenkizenki Member

@cochon said:

@Pwner said:

@HyperK9 said:
    sbl.spamhaus.org FAIL
    zen.spamhaus.org FAIL
    In fact, their entire /23 is blacklisted on Spamhaus https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL487869

Which should only be a problem if you're planning to run a mail server. But if you're planning to run a production application/mail server on a $0.79/month VPS, you've got other problems.

And I suspect those problems exist for HostVDS themselves, I've just registered, and like others in this thread no welcome mail has turned up (on mxroute). Can anyone who has their welcome e-mail confirm what server address(es) HostVDS are sending from.

Edit: I see they recommend a PM for manual activation for others in the same boat, will try that.

I see they are using a different provider for their emails, it is not blacklisted though, so they have some other error with mail sending. I myself didn't get any error receiving the welcome email

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • somiksomik Member

@HostVDS_com Any plans to offer servers in Singapore?

Also, any test IPs for your datacenters?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com

@cochon said:

@Pwner said:

@HyperK9 said:
    sbl.spamhaus.org FAIL
    zen.spamhaus.org FAIL

Yes, PM please.

Thanked by 1cochon

@HyperK9 said:

@cochon said:

@Pwner said:

@HyperK9 said:
    sbl.spamhaus.org FAIL
    zen.spamhaus.org FAIL

I see they are using a different provider for their emails, it is not blacklisted though, so they have some other error with mail sending. I myself didn't get any error receiving the welcome email

Yes, we will solve it soon.

Thanked by 1zenki

@somik said:

You can try lg.hostvds.com for test.
    Regard Singapore - yes, we are working on new locations prepare.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@HostVDS_com said:

@host4cheap said:

For example
    Snapshots/Backups - ?
    IPv6 - ?

S3 would be a nice add-on especially if you could get it to similar pricing with B2 or Wasabi, and had more locations available :)

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • It looks like there are 8 non-exits and 1 exit being hosted on HostVDS.

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/45.156.2

A bit of a shame that someone would abuse the network by running an exit. It also defeats the point of chosing a russian location as you can't guarantee that a website is not blocked, this is in contrast to non-exits that make it harder for the NSA/GCHQ to spy on the Tor network, due to the west and russia hating each other.

• uni9uni9 Member

I have been following the forum for many years and finally became an active user due to the very good price of Hostvds.
    I didn't have any issue with welcome mail, all services activated fast and yeah I'm happy with that.
    I waiting for Amsterdam location... and again a big thanks to hostvds!

• Registered yesterday, add $1 to activate my account. But didn't deploy any vm yet, still waiting until ipv6 or Singapore available :smile:

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@HostVDS_com said:

@somik said:

As you can see people are waiting for Singapore ;)

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @NanoG6 said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@somik said:

As you can see people are waiting for Singapore ;)

+1

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Waiting for Banglore sir, meanwhile sg also works. Nice locations selection, covers most continents

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • Cheap and good .

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com