Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Single USBC port
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Single USBC port

Heya all, my current laptop has just 1 USBC port, that is used for charging... If I want to plugin an external drive of USBC, then, I cannot both charge/ use it.

any suggestions on USBC splitters or similar that are good and reliable? If it helps, I am in US.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

    Is it Thunderbolt 3 or nah?

    ExtraVM - AMD Ryzen VPS starting @ $3.50
    USA (TX, VA, FL), CA, FR, UK, SGP, AU

  • bdlbdl Member
    edited June 25

    https://www.amazon.com.au/USB-Hub-Adapter-Ethernet-Charging/dp/B07QQ11BP6

    or

    https://www.amazon.com.au/VAVA-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet-Laptops-Grey/dp/B07JCKCZGJ

    -

    I actually have one of these (I didn't need the Ethernet port or card reader) and it's been great for my laptop and phone, however I'm not sure if you want to wait for things from China... They're taking weeks to be delivered now

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968111233.html

  • plumbergplumberg Member

    @MikeA said:
    Is it Thunderbolt 3 or nah?

    Nah

  • plumbergplumberg Member

    @bdl said:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/USB-Hub-Adapter-Ethernet-Charging/dp/B07QQ11BP6

    or

    https://www.amazon.com.au/VAVA-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet-Laptops-Grey/dp/B07JCKCZGJ

    -

    I actually have one of these (I didn't need the Ethernet port or card reader) and it's been great for my laptop and phone, however I'm not sure if you want to wait for things from China... They're taking weeks to be delivered now

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968111233.html

    Well I want something that will allow me to plug on multiple devices with usbc... this may not help. Thnx

  • @plumberg said:

    @bdl said:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/USB-Hub-Adapter-Ethernet-Charging/dp/B07QQ11BP6

    or

    https://www.amazon.com.au/VAVA-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet-Laptops-Grey/dp/B07JCKCZGJ

    -

    I actually have one of these (I didn't need the Ethernet port or card reader) and it's been great for my laptop and phone, however I'm not sure if you want to wait for things from China... They're taking weeks to be delivered now

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968111233.html

    Well I want something that will allow me to plug on multiple devices with usbc... this may not help. Thnx

    I have been looking for this too. Can't find it. Most of the time for USB c is for charging. The rest of it is USB c. What's your laptop anyway.

    I can understand the MacBook pro because it used thunderbolt and it's pricey. So they included too. But 1 and not even thunderbolt?

  • bdlbdl Member
    edited June 25

    @plumberg said:
    Well I want something that will allow me to plug on multiple devices with usbc... this
    may not help. Thnx

    Sorry about that, I mis-read, thought you wanted to use USB devices whilst charging via USB-C. I've been looking for a USB-C type hub (for other multiple (other) USB-C devices) for the past few months too, haven't been able to track anything down, either. :(

    Thanked by 1plumberg
  • edited June 25

    Is anything like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QMLTQ53/ available from your usual suppliers?

    With those you can use any USB 3 hub that connects to USB-C even if it only has B-type ports itself.

    Unfortunately that won't work if you actually want to charge via the USB-C port as IIRC only C type ports support PD. For that you'd need something with PD passthrough like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077FSBGQK/ plus some of those C-to-A adaptors.

    (edit: updated link to a C-to-A adaptor that supports USB3 not just 2 - take care when buying there seems to be a lot of the latter)

    Thanked by 1plumberg
  • plumbergplumberg Member

    @yokowasis said:

    @plumberg said:

    @bdl said:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/USB-Hub-Adapter-Ethernet-Charging/dp/B07QQ11BP6

    or

    https://www.amazon.com.au/VAVA-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet-Laptops-Grey/dp/B07JCKCZGJ

    -

    I actually have one of these (I didn't need the Ethernet port or card reader) and it's been great for my laptop and phone, however I'm not sure if you want to wait for things from China... They're taking weeks to be delivered now

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968111233.html

    Well I want something that will allow me to plug on multiple devices with usbc... this may not help. Thnx

    I have been looking for this too. Can't find it. Most of the time for USB c is for charging. The rest of it is USB c. What's your laptop anyway.

    I can understand the MacBook pro because it used thunderbolt and it's pricey. So they included too. But 1 and not even thunderbolt?

    Huawei matebook d amd 14inch
    I bought an external screen that has USB c only (no hdmi). So my single port is a constant fight for battery life.

    If there is someway to kinda use a usb splitter or hub that I can connect to and use the screen and charge my laptop.

    Thanks

  • @plumberg said:

    @yokowasis said:

    @plumberg said:

    @bdl said:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/USB-Hub-Adapter-Ethernet-Charging/dp/B07QQ11BP6

    or

    https://www.amazon.com.au/VAVA-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet-Laptops-Grey/dp/B07JCKCZGJ

    -

    I actually have one of these (I didn't need the Ethernet port or card reader) and it's been great for my laptop and phone, however I'm not sure if you want to wait for things from China... They're taking weeks to be delivered now

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968111233.html

    Well I want something that will allow me to plug on multiple devices with usbc... this may not help. Thnx

    I have been looking for this too. Can't find it. Most of the time for USB c is for charging. The rest of it is USB c. What's your laptop anyway.

    I can understand the MacBook pro because it used thunderbolt and it's pricey. So they included too. But 1 and not even thunderbolt?

    Huawei matebook d amd 14inch
    I bought an external screen that has USB c only (no hdmi). So my single port is a constant fight for battery life.

    If there is someway to kinda use a usb splitter or hub that I can connect to and use the screen and charge my laptop.

    Thanks

    If that's what you want. You actually can. There are a lot of it. I have been using hdmi + USB a x 2 + 1 USB c power delivery to type c.

  • PwnerPwner Member

    @yokowasis said:
    If that's what you want. You actually can. There are a lot of it. I have been using hdmi + USB a x 2 + 1 USB c power delivery to type c.

    Man it pains me to read this, the whole purpose of USB-C is to make things more convenient, not complicated.

  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited June 26

    @Pwner said:

    @yokowasis said:
    If that's what you want. You actually can. There are a lot of it. I have been using hdmi + USB a x 2 + 1 USB c power delivery to type c.

    Man it pains me to read this, the whole purpose of USB-C is to make things more convenient, not complicated.

    When you have 1 or 2, no matter what the connector, it will always complicated.

    Also USB c is a new technology. I am not seeing USB a going anywhere soon. Most device still shipping with USB a.

    I am having a hard time finding laptop which use USB c to charge. In the end going I am going with MacBook pro.

  • bdlbdl Member

    @yokowasis said:

    If that's what you want. You actually can. There are a lot of it. I have been using hdmi + USB a x 2 + 1 USB c power delivery to type c.

    That's the kind of hub thingy that I suggested to @plumberg originally...

    What @plumberg wants is 1) more usbc ports in their monitor, or 2) the monitor to be able to charge their laptop via usbc, 3) a usbc hub that has extra usbc ports.

    Does the usbc spec allow for extra usbc ports on an external device? Or do they need to be connected direct to southbridge hence only computers/laptop having more than one usbc port?

  • @plumberg said:

    @yokowasis said:

    @plumberg said:

    @bdl said:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/USB-Hub-Adapter-Ethernet-Charging/dp/B07QQ11BP6

    or

    https://www.amazon.com.au/VAVA-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet-Laptops-Grey/dp/B07JCKCZGJ

    -

    I actually have one of these (I didn't need the Ethernet port or card reader) and it's been great for my laptop and phone, however I'm not sure if you want to wait for things from China... They're taking weeks to be delivered now

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968111233.html

    Well I want something that will allow me to plug on multiple devices with usbc... this may not help. Thnx

    I have been looking for this too. Can't find it. Most of the time for USB c is for charging. The rest of it is USB c. What's your laptop anyway.

    I can understand the MacBook pro because it used thunderbolt and it's pricey. So they included too. But 1 and not even thunderbolt?

    Huawei matebook d amd 14inch
    I bought an external screen that has USB c only (no hdmi). So my single port is a constant fight for battery life.

    If there is someway to kinda use a usb splitter or hub that I can connect to and use the screen and charge my laptop.

    Thanks

    I think when you're port limited like this, you need to buy a monitor that charges the laptop from a beefy (100W) supply connected to monitor.

    But there's USB-C hubs on Amazon.

  • Use dongles. Do you have the old MacBook Air with only one port?

    I have a dongle from SATECHI that has Ethernet, charging, 3 USB ports, micro SD and HDMI. I would suggest you to get one of those, the only downside is that it heats up pretty quickly.

    Regards :)

    VPS Servers Linux from 2.99$ and Windows from 4.99$ at https://hosterlabs.net/
    Great service | 30 Day Guarantee | Check it out!
    Shared hosting from 0.99$/mo

  • @bdl said:

    @yokowasis said:

    If that's what you want. You actually can. There are a lot of it. I have been using hdmi + USB a x 2 + 1 USB c power delivery to type c.

    That's the kind of hub thingy that I suggested to @plumberg originally...

    What @plumberg wants is 1) more usbc ports in their monitor, or 2) the monitor to be able to charge their laptop via usbc, 3) a usbc hub that has extra usbc ports.

    Does the usbc spec allow for extra usbc ports on an external device? Or do they need to be connected direct to southbridge hence only computers/laptop having more than one usbc port?

    Yeah for some reason it's hard to find usb to usb c hub.

  • t0mt0m Member

    What you're looking for is a USB-C Docking station. I have for example an Lenovo Thinkpad usb-c dock Gen 2 and it charges my laptop throught it and you can connect multiple screens and usb devices through the dock. But be aware about the charching output (Watts) and available/needed connectors on the dock before you purchase one.

    load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

  • @yokowasis said:

    @bdl said:

    @yokowasis said:

    If that's what you want. You actually can. There are a lot of it. I have been using hdmi + USB a x 2 + 1 USB c power delivery to type c.

    That's the kind of hub thingy that I suggested to @plumberg originally...

    What @plumberg wants is 1) more usbc ports in their monitor, or 2) the monitor to be able to charge their laptop via usbc, 3) a usbc hub that has extra usbc ports.

    Does the usbc spec allow for extra usbc ports on an external device? Or do they need to be connected direct to southbridge hence only computers/laptop having more than one usbc port?

    Yeah for some reason it's hard to find usb to usb c hub.

    Because the PCIe lanes get divided up into smaller USB 3.0 ports that use smaller lanes. To have USB-C hub, you need a different, more complicated and expensive switch chip.

    Thanked by 1bdl
  • JustVPSJustVPS Member

    Only a usb hub will really help you. There is a lot of choice at the moment. The main thing is the USB-C protocol not Tunderbold
    https://bit.ly/3g5bcGV for example.

  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 28

    Edit: he wants a USB-C splitter. Whoops :(

    Edit #2: wouldn’t he need TB3 for one of those docking stations?

  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

    Dongles are an elegant solution to the vexing problem of too many ports.

    ...said no one, ever, except laptop designers.

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

  • PwnerPwner Member

    @raindog308 said:
    Dongles are an elegant solution to the vexing problem of too many ports.

    ...said no one, ever, except laptop designers.

    Reminds me of an old meme that remains as relevant as ever with this current dongle filled generation of tech:

    Thanked by 2bdl that_guy
  • jon617jon617 Member
    edited June 29

    @bdl said: thought you wanted to use USB devices whilst charging via USB-C. I've been looking for a USB-C type hub (for other multiple (other) USB-C devices) for the past few months too, haven't been able to track anything down, either.

    So, you've got just one USB-C port for charging the laptop, and only regular USB left on the laptop but you have a USB-C device... If your budget allows, maybe consider a USB-C dock/hub that provides power delivery and breaks out the USB-C into multiple ports. @t0m mentioned the Thinkpad Gen 2 which works well, and there are a few less pricey options, like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0841T9KC9/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WQVFB1/ both appear to have a USB-C device port, USB-C power delivery input, and USB-C to the computer.

    The cost may go up though, when considering buying a higher watt power adapter than the one that came with the laptop. Many USB-C docks/hubs with power delivery take some power for itself and pass the rest to the laptop. Say the dock wants 20W power and your laptop wants 65W power (check the specs), you may need a 85W or higher USB-C power adapter plugged-in to the dock/hub. Docks with a lot of ports consume more power, I think. I see people complain that their laptop doesn't charge when plugged-in to a powered USB-C dock, and does charge when their USB-C power adapter goes directly into the laptop. It may be for this reason.

    Oh, and there's a very cheap option of buying a USB-A to USB-C cable for your device with a USB-C port. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYKQM/

  • @Pwner said:

    @raindog308 said:
    Dongles are an elegant solution to the vexing problem of too many ports.

    ...said no one, ever, except laptop designers.

    Reminds me of an old meme that remains as relevant as ever with this current dongle filled generation of tech:

    This meme is being shown more and more and its great

Sign In or Register to comment.