Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Java JDK. OpenVZ or XEN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Java JDK. OpenVZ or XEN?

Hello,

Should we now use XEN based or OpenVZ with VSwap to be used on Java based application? I believe it was recomend to use XEN when the OpenVZ still use Burst Ram system. But since now already changed to VSwap, can we use it for java?

I planned to install the Oracle Java 7 jdk on Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks...

Comments

• I'm not sure about how well Java performs or behaves on newer vSwap VPSes, but I'd still go with Xen just because Xen. If you can't find any hosts with Xen in your budget, then a vSwap VPS.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    I'm not sure about how well Java performs or behaves on newer vSwap VPSes, but I'd still go with Xen just because Xen. If you can't find any hosts with Xen in your budget, then a vSwap VPS.

I agree, as with Xen you will get the dedicated RAM and performance would be similar to OpenVZ anyway.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As much as I like Xen, it is similar in performance if the PV flavour, but is still slower by about 10%. If you think the provider does not police the nodes for abusers or not even watch them, go with xen, it is much better isolated, otherwise, if you look for performance, you will be better off with OVZ.
    Features, stability and isolation (own kernel, own complete FS, own NIC with MAC and all) Xen wins hands down.
    Sheer speed, OVZ wins.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

Since vSwap, Java works much better on openVZ than it used to

Thanked by 1c0y
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

yes, openvz with vswap is a much better option

• The only strange thing I've seen sometimes is Java thinking there's 2 CPU cores when there's only 1 and doesn't want to start on those systems.

• I host Tomcat + my web apps on OVZ

• Thanks all for the reply..

So, for peformance better go to openvz with vswap. But for stability of the resource better go to xen?

• Whatever works for you boss. Just choose a good host is very important

• @Wira_Soenaryo said:
    Thanks all for the reply..

So, for peformance better go to openvz with vswap. But for stability of the resource better go to xen?

I don't think Xen or OpenVZ will really make it more stable than the host does.

• anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

@Wira_Soenaryo said:
    Hello,

Should we now use XEN based or OpenVZ with VSwap to be used on Java based application? I believe it was recomend to use XEN when the OpenVZ still use Burst Ram system. But since now already changed to VSwap, can we use it for java?

I planned to install the Oracle Java 7 jdk on Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks...

Just go with a reputable OpenVZ provider. Faster speeds and you may be able to save some money.

• I am using overzold for Java apps, So you get lots of ram that Java loves

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited November 2013

@Wira_Soenaryo said:
    Thanks all for the reply..

This only applies if the node density is the same, which is almost never observed in openvz vs xen, there's a good reason most LEB offers revolve around OpenVZ is so they shoehorn as many guests in as possible eliminating any theory of 10% boost which equal number guests and workloads. I am surprised an Xen shop hasnt pointed this obvious point out in comparisons.

• Thanks all... seems I will choose OpenVZ then.. :)

• Let say your java app need 512MB dedicated ram, a dedicated 512MB ram xen will be much better than a dedicated 512MB ram ovz for java apps.

• @ComfortVPS said:
    Let say your java app need 512MB dedicated ram, a dedicated 512MB ram xen will be much better than a dedicated 512MB ram ovz for java apps.

Myths again? There's myths on XEN / KVM can't be oversold and it performs better due to some reasons.

Do you have proper benchmarks to show this,in a controlled environment?

• It's not myths , it's truth. Based on lots of java clients report

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

Xen is probably better for your needs purely due to the strange way some Java APIs work. There are numerous examples of Java applications that dont work on OpenVZ (e.g Zimbra).

OpenVZ is really good for creating thin layers, and presuming the provider isn't oversold it can be quite performant. Its overhead for user mode is tiny / non existent.

Althout depending on the workload (e.g lots of kernel->user mode switching and copying) I have seen Xen/KVM outperform OpenVZ. I would make my choice based on the merits of your application/budget and if you are unsure default to the safe bet of KVM/Xen.

• @SplitIce said:
    Xen is probably better for your needs purely due to the strange way some Java APIs work. There are numerous examples of Java applications that dont work on OpenVZ (e.g Zimbra).

Zimbra works fine on OpenVZ. We have one running smooth for months.

@ComfortVPS said:
    It's not myths , it's truth. Based on lots of java clients report

Likely pre VSwap days and/or myths. There are equally a lot of clients reporting issues on KVM. In fact anything.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

@concerto49 Damn, I have VSwap on a server I virtualized into containers. Spent a couple days and couldn't get it to work (memory issues despite the 4GB limit). KVM worked first attempt (2GB).

• @SplitIce said:
    concerto49 Damn, I have VSwap on a server I virtualized into containers. Spent a couple days and couldn't get it to work (memory issues despite the 4GB limit). KVM worked first attempt (2GB).

Had to make some tweaks, but it hasn't crashed nor memory issues. It handled large volume emails well. All our internal emails for applications are on it. So are abuse emails (and once in a while we do get flooded when there's a spammer we missed). Overall I say no problems.