Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
HEY.com, a new look at email -- does anyone have an invite code?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

HEY.com, a new look at email -- does anyone have an invite code?

this seems interesting, though i coudn t find an invite... if anyone has one for me, would be nice

this so 2004, like looking for gmail invites xD

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird

LET Veteran

Comments

• Too many email addresses I do not use.. No need another.

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

From the people who brought you Ruby on Rails... :-O

Any email service that needs a "manifesto" is not for me.

$99/year is the price...with no custom domain.

There have been a ton of services that say "here's the way you should work" and if that works for you, great, but if you don't want to work their way, they feel awkward. Hey seems like that to me.

Well, if it is successful, Microsoft or Google will buy them and absorb their features so as an R&D site, party on!

Thanked by 2vyas11 mtsbatalha

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

$99/ year. Totally passable

• @raindog308 said: Well, if it is successful, Microsoft or Google will buy them and absorb their features so as an R&D site, party on!

Nah, it's Basecamp. Worst case they kill it.

• imokimok Member

"Imbox"

Thanked by 1desperand
  • defaultdefault Member

Thanked by 2dedicados BBTN

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

BTW, what exactly is he wearing around his neck and why...

Thanked by 1imok

• I applied about 1 month ago but have not receive any reply yet.

Easy Website Backup Script: easybackup Extremely affordable FTP backup storage: 1Fichier

• james50ajames50a Member

The imbecile box? Seems kinda weird to me

• defaultdefault Member
    edited June 16

In moments like these I love MXroute from @jar and free domains of Freenom. Anonymity evolved from disposable email to disposable domains where you can have any email address with any domain, and guys like these want to charge us $99/year for a hey.com email address. These guys (from Hey) should be acquired by Apple, simply for their way of thinking.

• sovietsoviet Member

nah, already have too many emails

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

This is interesting, but man that $99/year 😅

• lpnlpn Member

It appears that I was doing email wrong for so many years /s.
    And nice vendor lock-in.

• sovietsoviet Member

@NanoG6 said:

For that price you can buy own domain and a good vps with two IPs for a year

• PHDanPHDan Member

@raindog308 said: BTW, what exactly is he wearing around his neck and why...

His virtue.

@PHDan said:

@raindog308 said: BTW, what exactly is he wearing around his neck and why...

His virtue.

I thought perhaps it was a chastity stole to protect his throat.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

• imokimok Member

@soviet said:

@NanoG6 said:

Why are you buying too expensive servers?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@soviet said:

@NanoG6 said:

I know, but if you read how it works https://hey.com/how-it-works/ then you’ll know why it’s interesting. If only it’s around $50/year I’ll definitely switch to them, and maybe having short 3-4 character username @hey.com would be nice also.

• RoboCainRoboCain Member

$99 a year...

Might as well pay for Proton.

"People want paradise. They will have it."

-Cain (RoboCop 2 ,1990)

• defaultdefault Member

@PHDan said:
    Hahahah! https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/16/21293419/hey-apple-rejection-ios-app-store-dhh-gangsters-antitrust

@default said:
    These guys (from Hey) should be acquired by Apple, simply for their way of thinking.

So... Apple is actually interested in Hey, by taking more money from it.

• I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

This guy needs to start recording and leaking his calls if they're using language like he's implying. Might get rotation on Spotify...

• kerouackerouac Member

99$/yr is insane, but I assumed there would be a trial period with an invite and I’d be able to squat my username as an inactive account.

You gotta protect that username across all platforms!!!11!1!

LET Veteran

• pbxpbx Member

Honestly it's too expensive, but some features are pretty nice.

For 10$/y it could be interesting.

@TimboJones said:

I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

Wow, that was interersting. I always figured that if you want to do your in-app through the app store, then Apple gets a cut (which makes sense)....but they’re saying they want a cut of any subscription money if you have an app. Insane.

• 1293845012938450 Member

They could at least enable dnssec on their domain...

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Provider

Blocked by Web Anti-Virus
    Reason: threat of data loss
    Detection method: databases

Weird, maybe a false positive?

CrossBox.io
    Bringing a better Email, Chat & Files to cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin and the World.

• boerndboernd Member

threat of data loss sounds reasonable

• sdglhmsdglhm Member

Apart from the pricing, some features look really cool and someone like a popular figure (like a CEO) would benefit from those features.

That pretty much explains the pricing too. They have mentioned that custom domain support is underway. So it will be useful for people who deal with 100+/day non-spammy but marketing type emails asking for 10 minutes call.

I repeat, RAID is not backup | Looking for a developer for your next project? - Hire me

• alexvolkalexvolk Member

Actually, I didn't like it at all.

• short names are $999 ??? Are they serious that somebody will pay $999 monthly for [email protected] ?
    • CEO & founders crying over all internet that Apple didn't approve their application for breaking TOS while at the same time trying to push "hey" - it's our application? Really cheap way to get noticed for unnoticed application/service.
    • Two years in development and no internalization in 2020? Really? Are they serious?

So what they have to offer at the end? Only short domain name? That's all?

Even companies like Google kill products all the time, leaving their customers hanging. We don’t do that.

They didn't do that just yet. Better to stay away from such services, false promises.

Trying to be positive and friendly :)

• LeeLee Member
    edited June 20

@TimboJones said: I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

Maybe I read it wrong but Apple's issue with Hey having their App in the store right now is that it has no functionality if people download it. Literally, it cannot be used as it is invite-only at this stage which is against App store terms and all you see when downloading the app is a link that you need to follow to pay $99 before you even get to see it or the app is useless, which is again against the terms of the app store.

I know people rage about Apple allowing companies like Netflix being allowed to do this but the difference is that you may already have a Netflix account so are just expanding the devices you can watch on, it's a reader app. If you download Netflix it tells you cannot purchase in-app but does not provide a link to pay. It does, however, allow you to simply sign in and start using the app. Hey does not, that is the issue right now.

Thanked by 2alexvolk 3606202
  • sibapersibaper Member

Without SMTP support they wont let people out easily

We only support unsupported OS!

• mrclownmrclown Member

Google knows me more than I do. No need another one. 😉

signature for rent - ^_^

• defaultdefault Member

@mrclown said:
    Google knows me more than I do. No need another one. 😉

This time is different. You pay them $99/year so they may get to know you.

Thanked by 1mrclown

• @Lee said:

@TimboJones said: I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

Maybe I read it wrong but Apple's issue with Hey having their App in the store right now is that it has no functionality if people download it. Literally, it cannot be used as it is invite-only at this stage which is against App store terms and all you see when downloading the app is a link that you need to follow to pay $99 before you even get to see it or the app is useless, which is again against the terms of the app store.

I know people rage about Apple allowing companies like Netflix being allowed to do this but the difference is that you may already have a Netflix account so are just expanding the devices you can watch on, it's a reader app. If you download Netflix it tells you cannot purchase in-app but does not provide a link to pay. It does, however, allow you to simply sign in and start using the app. Hey does not, that is the issue right now.

I don't know either, but Hey has an iPhone screenshot from May on their site, so I'd assume people already testing it from an invite would be able to login and use it.

• lentrolentro Member, Provider
    edited June 21

"Since we don’t sell ads, or invade your privacy, we charge $99/year"

That's reasonable. No selling data plus additional features is justifiable for less than $10/mo.

ISODME: Web hosting | Managed VPS services | U.S. based support | High Uptime | isodme.com

• serversHQserversHQ Member
    edited June 21

hey.com review

I got their (HEY.COM) invite and tried it..

The only feature worth mentionable is "Email Screening". User can "allow" or "deny" emails from a particular sender. And once the user denies he'll never hear back from that particular sender. - And I'm not going to pay $99 a year for this! - especially when free email like gmail/yahoo etc now-a-days offer virtually unlimited space so I don't care my SMAP box gets utilized more than my inbox!

The drawback for their "email screening" feature is: you can "deny" or "block" an email address... and not an entire domain. So if I'm receiving some unwanted marketing mail from [email protected] and i blocked it, they can very well send me email from [email protected] or even [email protected] --- How many times will I keep screening this sh*t emails??

Rather I'll keep them coming in my gmail spam folder, and once a month it will all get deleted - automatically!

And regarding ad-free email? lol. I've never found gmail/yahoo or other free email providers ads bashing on me. I just ignore those ads just like I ignore banner-ads on forums, adsense on sites/blogs.

And hey.com has some other so-called cool features. they're good in deed but not worth for paying $5/year!

Thanked by 1NanoG6

Domains • Cpanel & Windows Hosting • Managed & Self-Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers • Managed WordPress • Reseller Hosting

• For those who like those semi-intelligent filtering features, sanebox.com offers something similar and it works with existing emails (excluding Protonmail and Tutanota).

Thanked by 1serversHQ
  • What is special in HEY that other apps like Outlook doesn't have?

• sibapersibaper Member

@TheKiller said:
    What is special in HEY that other apps like Outlook doesn't have?

price

We only support unsupported OS!

• defaultdefault Member

@sibaper said:

@TheKiller said:
    What is special in HEY that other apps like Outlook doesn't have?

price

Precisely. It's not about functionalities; it's about feeling special. You pay $99/year to feel unique, one among the few distinguished ones using a particular e-mail provider. It's like having a .rich domain, or owning the latest Apple phone immediately after release. Some people may call this snobbery, others may call it waste of money, others may call it investment in future innovations. No matter what others think, in the end it's your money, and your choices that can (or will) drive you happy, towards being a much handsome and better version of you.

• HosthinkHosthink Member

Priceeeeeey. You can do something better with that $100, which you can feel special.

Hosthink - Dedicated Server, OpenVZ/KVM VPS, Cloud Server
    Turkey/Finland/Switzerland VPS | Dedicated servers in 6 continents, over 50 locations

• @serversHQ said:
    hey.com review

I got their (HEY.COM) invite and tried it..

The only feature worth mentionable is "Email Screening". User can "allow" or "deny" emails from a particular sender. And once the user denies he'll never hear back from that particular sender.

I don't understand why you haven't been doing this already through existing anti spam, rules and/or filtering but with much more flexibility?

• sdglhmsdglhm Member

@TimboJones said: I don't understand why you haven't been doing this already through existing anti spam, rules and/or filtering but with much more flexibility?

I don't think they're especially looking at it from the SPAM angle but the "Hey, do you have 10 minutes for a quick call?" email angle.

Meanwhile, https://bye.fyi/

I repeat, RAID is not backup | Looking for a developer for your next project? - Hire me

• LeeLee Member

I have tried Hey, it's not going to be worth it for many at $99 but for those with busy inboxes it could be really good.

By busy, I don't mean just lots of emails coming in, more where you have lots of emails coming in where prioritisation of those emails is key, a moving target and you want to keep certain ones in view but not directly whilst allowing a clear view of the continual flow of new emails without having to use the manual creation of rules/filtering.

I see the benefits but depends on the user.

They have now added a 14-day trial option so Apple have approved it for the App Store. Wasn't really hard to get it approved after all.

Thanked by 2luissousa NanoG6
  • I can't afford that.. hang on, I found a dozen $15/yr KVM deals I can afford.

• @sdglhm said:

@TimboJones said: I don't understand why you haven't been doing this already through existing anti spam, rules and/or filtering but with much more flexibility?

I don't think they're especially looking at it from the SPAM angle but the "Hey, do you have 10 minutes for a quick call?" email angle.

Meanwhile, https://bye.fyi/

I hope that service gets open sourced and self hostable. Fucking awesome. Would love that for when you're forced to sign up to get a free download.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

I had heymail .com for years and years, eventually let it expire, i also had some similar ideas. Never mind.

• Got their invite as well. The code can be used for another two times, so in case anyone would like to try it out, just PM and I'll send you the code.

Easy Website Backup Script: easybackup Extremely affordable FTP backup storage: 1Fichier

• berkayberkay Member

I also do have a invite code for three people, if anyone wants just drop a PM. On the other hand, I am in search of a Riseup invite; so if anyone has some spare ones, it would be greatly appreciated.