Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop or Desktop? Why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Laptop or Desktop? Why?

momkinmomkin Member
edited June 2020 in General

Hello ,
I'm planning to make a change to my work laptop and it come to my mind to use desktop instead of laptop which I'm currently using .
So i thought i should ask people's here what do you use laptop or desktop ?
And why ?

So i can decide which one :smile:

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

I enjoy using a laptop (Macbook Pro) - enough power for what I do, easy to dock with. I use the same setup at the office and at home. So it's easy to take the laptop, whether I'm at home, office, meetings, client visits, and so on. If I didn't move around so much, a desktop would do the job.

• BloomVPSBloomVPS Member, Patron Provider

I use both! I have a desktop with a 49" ultrawide that I use for gaming and work. And then I have a gaming laptop with a 2080 mobile for when I want to game in bed. :D

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I'm always more productive on my desktop with two 2k monitors. Perhaps if I had a nice laptop dock setup I'd feel differently.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I'm more productive on my desktop, mainly due to screen space - but my laptop is getting on a bit. I might find a newer laptop with a higher resolution better.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

I'm using both like others. But still I prefer desktop over laptop.

It's depends on your work.

• At home I use a laptop and dock it via a single USB-C connection, when I use it for a longer time and sit at my desk. Gives me the convenience/productivity of a desktop, and the mobility of a laptop. At work almost everyone has a desktop. Because they are cheaper and people only use it at their desks anyways.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It has been more than a decade since I’ve used a desktop, believe it or not 😂 I’m just using a laptop for everything, both work and personal, and I don’t really play games. I have an Elitebook 745 G3 with the crappiest SSD which I used to use and which is now collecting dust due to a swollen battery. So now I’m left with my primary laptop which is a Zbook 15 G3 and I’m pretty happy with it - despite it not being practical and mobile due to its nature ☺️

• EdwardEdward Member

@that_guy said: At home I use a laptop and dock it via a single USB-C connection, when I use it for a longer time and sit at my desk.

Are you connecting to Windows or Linux? I wonder if Linux via USB-C can work with a 2K monitor for example. I use a PC and laptop at home.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

I use a laptop but I do have a 32" monitor hooked up to it. I essentially have 2 monitors but one is the 15" laptop. I could use both HDMI and VGA to have 2 big monitors but haven't done that yet.

• I use a laptop - rinse and repeat every couple of yrs for the latest hardware.
    I generally buy mid range - but for my monitor I spend a little more.

Most places I've worked for are moving to Laptops rather than Desktops, although my current employer opted to upgrade us to NUC's - which is quite useful during these times that we are required to work from home (as long as you have a monitor). I popped mine in my coat pocket on my way out of the office :smile: and to be fair its a little monster, I may buy one myself.

• I am big desktop fan, never liked touchpad, I like mouse much better than a touchpad, Also I have a dual screen setup which I love a lot.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

I will mention too that I don't care for the touchpad so I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse attached to my laptop. The laptop sits on the corner of my desk out of the way.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

A desktop when I can, a laptop when I must.

After typing for may hours a day since I was ~10, my fingers are in pretty horrible shape. With a full-sized ergo keyboard, they don't really bother me as much as a smaller straight laptop keyboard.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Laptop + Dock

• jlayjlay Member

Desktop, more power! Laptop only if I have to be mobile

• My desktop screen is quite larger and the latest processor so I'm using desktop specially for web design/coding purpose and laptop for browsing sites, forums, checking emails, and storing project stuff for clients (for presentation, etc.)

• defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 3plumberg Lee Aidan
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

I'm using both laptop & desktop. An iMAC at work, an AIO HP desktop at home and a Surface laptop when traveling. But I prefer a desktop over laptop if you spend 8+ hours a day.

• Using a Laptop as my daily driver as I can just take it and go. Specifically, a MBA since it's really lightweight and it just works. I use it for my development purposes also.

Since I do not game, I don't have the need to use a desktop. But if I did, I'd surely use a Desktop over laptop to game.

Recently I've been looking into the possibility of using a tablet as a daily driver so I can ditch my MBA at home

• Both. Cheap laptop with the best possible battery life for maximum mobility and to do regular web browsing and office stuff. Desktop for heavy duty stuff with a bunch of remote desktop apps set up on it so that cheap laptop can access to run the heavy duty stuff. Use a syncing service to ensure data on both are always the same.

You probably don't need the desktop if your use case doesn't require heavy CPU/GPU processing. Just get a laptop with great battery life and lots of RAM.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

One thing that's always kept me from using a laptop full time is that it's harder to type on a keyboard. Anyone have any idea on any laptops that are easy to type on and get used to (like a desktop mechanical keyboard) that isn't in a huge laptop?

• In my opinion both are good. laptops are portable and easily accessible while desktops are good for a long period of time in one place. You can try getting a laptop and connecting it to a couple of monitors to get the feel of both.

• @MikeA said: One thing that's always kept me from using a laptop full time is that it's harder to type on a keyboard. Anyone have any idea on any laptops that are easy to type on and get used to (like a desktop mechanical keyboard) that isn't in a huge laptop?

Thinkpad T series has an awesome keyboard. Been using it a while ago and one thing I really miss is the keyboard.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2020

8yo Thinkpad xseries + 40" monitor(old TV) and a CherryBlue mech keyboard at home.
    Edit: and a Logitech Trackball (the good one)

Unplug and travel with 1.3kg device. 💁🏻‍♂️

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

@sdglhm said:

@MikeA said: One thing that's always kept me from using a laptop full time is that it's harder to type on a keyboard. Anyone have any idea on any laptops that are easy to type on and get used to (like a desktop mechanical keyboard) that isn't in a huge laptop?

Thinkpad T series has an awesome keyboard. Been using it a while ago and one thing I really miss is the keyboard.

The Thinkpads look nice, but after I replied I realized I don't know what I would do for gaming :'(

Edit - maybe I could just use a console for that.

• Desktop for now, but I'm gonna switch to a notebook + monitor as soon as I can.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Desktop, because Screen real estate.

• RoldanRoldan Member

XPS laptop + 27" curved Samsung monitor works fine for me.

• EdwardEdward Member

@sdglhm said: Recently I've been looking into the possibility of using a tablet as a daily driver

I also wanted to completely switch from a laptop to an iPad, but within 3-4 months, it still turned out that the tablet still could not replace a laptop, even after Apple released an updated OS specifically for the iPad.

• @MikeA said: The Thinkpads look nice, but after I replied I realized I don't know what I would do for gaming :'(

If you can live with ~60fps gaming, Thinkpad can also help with that. Some models can be customised with Nvidia graphics (I don't know much about gaming specs though)

@Edward said: I also wanted to completely switch from a laptop to an iPad, but within 3-4 months, it still turned out that the tablet still could not replace a laptop, even after Apple released an updated OS specifically for the iPad.

Same here. Tried changing to one, at least when I'm travelling. But there are lots of little improvements to be done and I'm not yet fully ready to use an iPad as my daily driver.