Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is your vps / cloud server uptime?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is your vps / cloud server uptime?

donkodonko Member

Hello, i wanted to create this thread mostly to know which provider you currently use? and which uptime you maintain with them?.

Also if you have experienced downtimes, node dying, router 'fried', a rat cutting down the fiber cable, etc...

I'd like to see if exists alternatives or only the most known providers like hetzner or ovh are the best in terms of reliability and high availability.

Comments

• buyvm up 303 days
    vultr up 323 days

Thanked by 1donko
  • @lightforce said:
    buyvm up 303 days
    vultr up 323 days

How do you handle kernel security patches?

• @sgheghele said:

@lightforce said:
    buyvm up 303 days
    vultr up 323 days

Have a look at KernelCare

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • My OpenVZ vps from Hostforce were 649 days up. Some others were KVM and Xen, and I need to reboot to make some updates.

The old openvz just for some specific application with older nodejs + older openssl version, so I need to stay with the old Debian 8 and limited open port

• exact 300, netcup

• LESLES Member

uptime

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@LES said:
    uptime

100.0 idle.
    The way it's meant to be.

• If we are talking about system uptime - we had 1653 days on our old cluster...
    But look, system uptime is nothing if you have network issues with your provider. Real uptime is availability of the server from outside, i guess everybody realizes it. So posting a picture of system uptime makes no sense :)

• hosting.international created on Dec 2019, but you had 1653 days uptime.

What's your main company name?

• @sgheghele said:

@lightforce said:
    buyvm up 303 days
    vultr up 323 days

Any free alternatives for rebootless kernel updates?

• pkrpkr Member

NexusBytes: 117 days. If I exclude migration, it's up since I purchased (~200 days). Almost zero downtime.

SSDNodes: 76 days. Although I don't like SSDnodes, I never had any downtime because of their systems. All downtime were due to migration.

RackNerd: Uptime command shows 14 days, but HetrixTools sends downtime message to me everyday. As per HetrixTools, everyday it goes offline for 1-3 minutes.

• edited June 2020

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    hosting.international created on Dec 2019, but you had 1653 days uptime.

With opening of new big location we did a re-branding as long time past and we do not offer services only for CIS region (as used before for a long time). 3 own platforms are now in Czech Republic, Singapore and Ukraine. We own AS50935 and AS213354. Actually working since 2009 but to be honest never used/had login here before

• OujiOuji Member

pkr said: SSDNodes: 76 days. Although I don't like SSDnodes, I never had any downtime because of their systems. All downtime were due to migration.

Why don't you like them? I'd like to know :)

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

AWS 859 days. Kernelcare is prem.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • doughnet said: Any free alternatives for rebootless kernel updates?

Ksplice is free for Ubuntu and Fedora.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

pkr said: RackNerd: Uptime command shows 14 days, but HetrixTools sends downtime message to me everyday. As per HetrixTools, everyday it goes offline for 1-3 minutes.

The uptime command doesn't take into account cases where your server goes offline (ie network issues or outages), just takes into account time since last reboot. Basically your server could have been offline for days and still have "14 days uptime" (via the uptime command).
    Just saying :wink:

Thanked by 2sayem314 TimboJones
  • pkrpkr Member

@HBAndrei said:
    The uptime command doesn't take into account cases where your server goes offline (ie network issues or outages), just takes into account time since last reboot. Basically your server could have been offline for days and still have "14 days uptime" (via the uptime command).

That's right. Not sure why does it happen almost every day? Even their tech support has no clue about it.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@HBAndrei said:

pkr said: RackNerd: Uptime command shows 14 days, but HetrixTools sends downtime message to me everyday. As per HetrixTools, everyday it goes offline for 1-3 minutes.

Maybe a Cloudflare thing? I actually have 2 totally different lightsail instances on AWS, and I usually get downtime reports every 2 days or so at the same time, but I’m pretty sure it’s online (I can SSH to it)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • pkrpkr Member

@Ouji said:

They oversell like crazy. Their plans show huge RAM, but you will never be allowed to use even 15% of that. Both NVMe and SSD disk IO will be in the range of 100-250mb/s. So, basically, they cheat customers.

Right now my account is on a new node and my application is using ~13/16gb of RAM. Disk IO is 900-1000mb/s. After a few months, my application will not be allowed to use even 2gb RAM and disk IO will be 100-250 mb/s. They run some script to clear the buffer. I have experienced it several times but cannot do anything as I have already paid for 3 years. :(

• jlayjlay Member

Usually like a week at most, everything is HA and I usually upgrade-by-replacement

• @hostinginternational said:
    If we are talking about system uptime - we had 1653 days on our old cluster...
    But look, system uptime is nothing if you have network issues with your provider. Real uptime is availability of the server from outside, i guess everybody realizes it. So posting a picture of system uptime makes no sense :)

Isn't the point of a cluster so you can reboot and apply updates without affecting service? Unless you're talking about the uptime of the availability as a whole, in which case no one is asking about that or cares and has no point being mentioned in this thread.

• @pkr said:

@Ouji said:

They oversell like crazy. Their plans show huge RAM, but you will never be allowed to use even 15% of that. Both NVMe and SSD disk IO will be in the range of 100-250mb/s. So, basically, they cheat customers.

Right now my account is on a new node and my application is using ~13/16gb of RAM. Disk IO is 900-1000mb/s. After a few months, my application will not be allowed to use even 2gb RAM and disk IO will be 100-250 mb/s. They run some script to clear the buffer. I have experienced it several times but cannot do anything as I have already paid for 3 years. :(

What does "not be allowed" mean? You get what you paid for, get a refund, or chargeback. "Not be allowed" does not compute.

I wouldn't poopoo 100-250mbps as overselling. Not when 6-30MB/s is undeniable overselling.

• edited June 2020

@TimboJones said:

@hostinginternational said:
    If we are talking about system uptime - we had 1653 days on our old cluster...

Isn't the point of a cluster so you can reboot and apply updates without affecting service? Unless you're talking about the uptime of the availability as a whole, in which case no one is asking about that or cares and has no point being mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for asking. Of course not, that was one old let's call it "test" VM with CentOS 5 running on it. Never crashed during migration between nodes, nothing happened and even booted without any issues after almost 5 years of uptime :)

• @PineappleBox said:

doughnet said: Any free alternatives for rebootless kernel updates?

Ksplice is free for Ubuntu and Fedora.

Desktop versions. Important detail.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@pkr said:

@HBAndrei said:

That's right. Not sure why does it happen almost every day? Even their tech support has no clue about it.

Hi @pkr, if you don't mind - can you please email me? [email protected] - I'd like to look into this :)

• pkrpkr Member

@dustinc said:

Hi @pkr, if you don't mind - can you please email me? [email protected] - I'd like to look into this :)

Sent an email to you.

• pkr said: NexusBytes: 117 days. If I exclude migration, it's up since I purchased (~200 days). Almost zero downtime.

>

<3

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@pkr said:

@dustinc said:

Sent an email to you.

Received, thank you so much!

• teekteek Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    hosting.international created on Dec 2019, but you had 1653 days uptime.

Ladis Washerum!

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

sanvit said: Maybe a Cloudflare thing? I actually have 2 totally different lightsail instances on AWS, and I usually get downtime reports every 2 days or so at the same time, but I’m pretty sure it’s online (I can SSH to it)

Are these stand-alone Server Agent uptime monitors (ie: heartbeat monitors)? If yes then the uptime is solely based on your server's ability to send data to the platform, and there can be a number of reasons for downtimes while your server is still online (ie: dns issues on your network, cloudflare issues, etc). If not then open a ticket and I can look into it further.

Cheers.