Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I wanted to setup a VPN with an Atlanta address for example...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If I wanted to setup a VPN with an Atlanta address for example...

RoboCainRoboCain Member
edited June 2020 in General

Get a server in Atlanta on Vultr or Digital Ocean or something and one click install some open source VPN software?

This is because I need to show a specific type of location for a bit for personal purposes. So I'm wondering if this is how I should do it. It's for legit work reasons and not for downloading pirated material, or for bad reasons. (whatever bad means is subjective)

I'm I thinking properly or are there problems in approaching this way? Is my IP going to leak or something? What type of issues could I potentially run into if I set up a VPN this way.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

RoboCain said: Get a server in Atlanta on Vultr or Digital Ocean or something and one click install some open source VPN software?

Yes...you could use @Nyr's Road Warrior script which makes setting up OpenVPN dead simple. I'm using a VPN on Vultr setup that way.

RoboCain said: I'm I thinking properly or are there problems in approaching this way?

Some sophisticated businesses will detect that you have have a datacenter IP (e.g., players like Netflix). In reality, nearly anyone can by traceroute, but depending on what you're doing, they may not care. I do a fair amount of personal stuff over VPNs just because I'm in hotels, or for other reasons where it's convenient to come from one IP (e.g. for limiting access by IP). I rarely have problems. But every now and then you run into something - e.g., I can't edit Wikipedia over VPN and sometimes merchants will flag things because I'm in Portland, OR but my IP is in San Francisco.

Of course, you're not going to dodge any law enforcement with a warrant this way, but you said you're being legit.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • RoboCainRoboCain Member
    edited June 2020

@raindog308 said:

RoboCain said: Get a server in Atlanta on Vultr or Digital Ocean or something and one click install some open source VPN software?

Yes...you could use @Nyr's Road Warrior script which makes setting up OpenVPN dead simple. I'm using a VPN on Vultr setup that way.

RoboCain said: I'm I thinking properly or are there problems in approaching this way?

Some sophisticated businesses will detect that you have have a datacenter IP (e.g., players like Netflix). In reality, nearly anyone can by traceroute, but depending on what you're doing, they may not care. I do a fair amount of personal stuff over VPNs just because I'm in hotels, or for other reasons where it's convenient to come from one IP (e.g. for limiting access by IP). I rarely have problems. But every now and then you run into something - e.g., I can't edit Wikipedia over VPN and sometimes merchants will flag things because I'm in Portland, OR but my IP is in San Francisco.

Of course, you're not going to dodge any law enforcement with a warrant this way, but you said you're being legit.

Thank you bro. I'm going to look into this.

It's for work. I just want to show that I'm home all the time and for them to not snoop into my location. If I'm really in Las Vegas, they might think I'm up to no good by my IP address, just because people associate your location when on the road to other things. They look at the logs every so often and ask me shit like hey, RoboCain, how were the hookers and cocaine in Las Vegas last week? with a smirk. Just because of my IP, but in reality I was working all day. It's just for protection of my self image.

With that script, you don't run into spontaneous drops when doing Zoom video conferences and stuff like that with Vultr on Open VPN? Or it should be fine?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

RoboCain said: With that script, you don't run into spontaneous drops when doing Zoom video conferences and stuff like that with Vultr on Open VPN? Or it should be fine?

I have not specifically tried Zoom. I have, somewhat accidentally, had concalls with GotoMeeting without issues. Keep in mind that PDX<->SF is 600 miles and the network connectivity is excellent.

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 66.173/70.662/76.823/3.100 ms

RoboCain said: If I'm really in Las Vegas, they might think I'm up to no good by my IP address

Thanked by 1RoboCain
  • @raindog308 said:

RoboCain said: With that script, you don't run into spontaneous drops when doing Zoom video conferences and stuff like that with Vultr on Open VPN? Or it should be fine?

I have not specifically tried Zoom. I have, somewhat accidentally, had concalls with GotoMeeting without issues. Keep in mind that PDX<->SF is 600 miles and the network connectivity is excellent.

> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 66.173/70.662/76.823/3.100 ms
    > 

RoboCain said: If I'm really in Las Vegas, they might think I'm up to no good by my IP address

Thank you.

• Give RamNode a try. They are based in Atlanta and have an Atlanta location.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • For Atlanta:

Vultr
    Ramnode
    NFOServers
    ReadyDedis with @BharatB
    Linode

All of these are good choices

Thanked by 2RoboCain Nick_A
  • @t0ny0 said:
    For Atlanta:

Vultr
    Ramnode
    NFOServers
    ReadyDedis with @BharatB
    Linode

Thanks bro. How about Miami?

• @RoboCain said:

@t0ny0 said:
    For Atlanta:

Vultr
    Ramnode
    NFOServers
    ReadyDedis with @BharatB
    Linode

Welcome :-)

Miami:
    Vultr
    @Hassan with Hostodo
    @anyNode
    @seriesn with NexusBytes
    SecureDragon in Tampa
    And quite a few more.

You can always check https://serverhunter.com for more options :-)

Thanked by 3RoboCain seriesn Hassan
  • @t0ny0 said:

@RoboCain said:

@t0ny0 said:
    For Atlanta:

Vultr
    Ramnode
    NFOServers
    ReadyDedis with @BharatB
    Linode

Welcome :-)

Miami:
    Vultr
    @Hassan with Hostodo
    @anyNode
    @seriesn with NexusBytes
    SecureDragon in Tampa
    And quite a few more.

You can always check https://serverhunter.com for more options :-)

Thank you. :)

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @RoboCain said:

@raindog308 said:

It's for work. I just want to show that I'm home all the time and for them to not snoop into my location. If I'm really in Las Vegas, they might think I'm up to no good by my IP address, just because people associate your location when on the road to other things. They look at the logs every so often and ask me shit like hey, RoboCain, how were the hookers and cocaine in Las Vegas last week? with a smirk. Just because of my IP, but in reality I was working all day. It's just for protection of my self image.

With that script, you don't run into spontaneous drops when doing Zoom video conferences and stuff like that with Vultr on Open VPN? Or it should be fine?

You are suspicious as fuck. If you wanted to look like you were working from home,

YOU'D PUT THE VPN SERVER AT HOME.

My head is spinning as to why you'd put the VPN server in a datacenter to look like you're at home.

• RoboCainRoboCain Member
    edited June 2020

@TimboJones said:

@RoboCain said:

@raindog308 said:

You are suspicious as fuck. If you wanted to look like you were working from home,

YOU'D PUT THE VPN SERVER AT HOME.

My head is spinning as to why you'd put the VPN server in a datacenter to look like you're at home.

Good point! It does feel like a "you got me" moment, now that I think about it.