Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ram:CPU ratio poll...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ram:CPU ratio poll...

ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep
edited June 2020 in General

Hey Guys - looking across your virtualised serverfarm (those of you that virtualise dedicated boxes). How would you say your RAM:CPU ratio is?

As in, how many gigs of ram do you have per physical core on average?

:)
D

How many gigs of RAM per physical CPU core?
  1. How many gigs of RAM per physical CPU core?59 votes
    1. I have 4 gig of ram per CPU core
      50.85%
    2. I have 6 gigs of ram per CPU core
        8.47%
    3. I have 8 gigs of ram per CPU core
      18.64%
    4. I have 10 gigs of ram per CPU core
        0.00%
    5. I have 12 gigs of ram per CPU core
        3.39%
    6. I have 14 gigs of ram per CPU core
        0.00%
    7. I have 16 gigs of ram per CPU core
        3.39%
    8. I have 18 gigs of ram per CPU core
        0.00%
    9. I have 20 or more gigs of ram per CPU core
      15.25%

Comments

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

so, I probably did not make it clear above... the dedicated servers you are virtualising with Proxmox, OnApp, Solus, Virtualizor, VMware etc etc - how many gigs of ram does those dedicated boxes (hypervisors) have per physical CPU core?

SO, I am not asking about how many gigs of ram in your virtual machine :)

• It totally depends on what you want to do with the VM of course.

Thanked by 1Ouji
    edited June 2020

@debaser said:
    It totally depends on what you want to do with the VM of course.

hmm - not really?
    I am trying to get an idea of how #lowendtalk service providers are allocating RAM VS CPU on the dedicated servers that they virtualise and sell as VM's to their customers. Those customers may have specific use cases for the VMs they buy from said host, and go for more RAM or CPU than average. But the hypervisor itself is what I am interested in here :)

• ewrekewrek Member

You should probably include lower RAM:CPU rations.

edited June 2020

@ewrek said:

OK? Interesting, so you estimate that many have less than 4G of ram per physical core in their dedicated hypervisors?

On: https://www.100tb.com/servers/bare-metal-servers/ ratio starts at 16:4 (RAM/CORE)

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

For most people using dedis (to sell VMs, for personal use etc.), I think it's going to be something like E3 (8 threads) with 32GB RAM or E5 (12 or 16 threads) with 64GB.

Thanked by 2ditlev Ouji

@AC_Fan said:
    For most people using dedis (to sell VMs, for personal use etc.), I think it's going to be something like E3 (8 threads) with 32GB RAM or E5 (12 or 16 threads) with 64GB.

So,
    E3 with 32G would be 32:4, ie 8G per core
    and the E5 with 64G would be 64:8, again 8G per core.

• Are you including threads or just actual cores? For example an E5 8core 16thread would only be 8 physical cores, not 16.

@WSCallum said:
    Are you including threads or just actual cores? For example an E5 8core 16thread would only be 8 physical cores, not 16.

only physical cores as per the examples above/below

E3 with 32G would be 32:4, ie 8G per core
    and the E5 with 64G would be 64:8, again 8G per core.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Of the servers I own, it's 8GB per core. 4c/8t E3s = 32GB. 16c/32t Dual E5s = 128GB.

For VMs I rent it's 128MB to 4GB per vCore. VMs on my own machines usually have access to 2 vCores minimum.

Thanked by 2ditlev Falzo
  • ewrekewrek Member

@ditlev said:

@ewrek said:

OK? Interesting, so you estimate that many have less than 4G of ram per physical core in their dedicated hypervisors?

On: https://www.100tb.com/servers/bare-metal-servers/ ratio starts at 16:4 (RAM/CORE)

With the AMD Ryzen server CPU's a lot of servers will have less.

Thanked by 2ditlev webcraft

With the AMD Ryzen server CPU's a lot of servers will have less.

Good point actually

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Generally you will see 128GB+ RAM with dual E5 servers, it doesn't make financial sense to go with less RAM. Some do 384GB, few do 768GB (but that's not really common).

Thanked by 1ditlev

@FHR said:
    Generally you will see 128GB+ RAM with dual E5 servers, it doesn't make financial sense to go with less RAM. Some do 384GB, few do 768GB (but that's not really common).

So thats 128:8 = 16G per physical core, or if 384:8 = 48G per core.
    At OnApp we do see a lot of +384G servers, but most of them would be dual Intel silver or golds, so 24 or 40 cores.

• This really does depend on use case, but I personally wouldn't use more than 4-6GB of ram per core.

interesting results on the poll - though, I suspect most votes were based on single VM's and not the actual hypervisor...

• For some data points from well known providers, i think BuyVM @Francisco used 8gb/physical core and Nexusbytes @seriesn uses 12gb/physical core.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited June 2020

@codedivine said:
    For some data points from well known providers, i think BuyVM @Francisco used 8gb/physical core and Nexusbytes @seriesn uses 12gb/physical core.

It is usually 1 thread: 4GB Ram, so 1 physical core : 8GB Ram. That is also kinda how our fair share policy is setup :P

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @seriesn said:

@codedivine said:
    For some data points from well known providers, i think BuyVM @Francisco used 8gb/physical core and Nexusbytes @seriesn uses 12gb/physical core.

It is usually 1 thread: 4GB Ram, so 1 physical core : 8GB Ram. That is also kinda how our fair share policy is setup :P

Thanks. I got the 6GB figure because that is the ratio in your vdedicated pools but thanks for confirming.

• @codedivine said:

@seriesn said:

@codedivine said:

Thanks. I got the 6GB figure because that is the ratio in your vdedicated pools but thanks for confirming.

Ah! Those 2GB are basically bonus to keep the pricing healthy. ;) . Thanks for the checking in tho boss :)