Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an inexpensive and reliable option to run a Ghost Blog
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for an inexpensive and reliable option to run a Ghost Blog

RoboCainRoboCain Member
edited May 2020 in Requests

Hello,

I would like to purchase some type of fast hosting with the proper visual panel to run and mantain a Ghost Blog.

I thought about launching up a server on Vultr, and I did. But I'm unable to get past the installation face since it has to be done through terminal.

Plus, I imagine that the updating and management of the blog will be severely complicated for me.

At this point I would like to purchase a server that's running the bare minimum hardware to get started with Ghost and offers the possibility of upgrading in a few years when my traffic is high.

Also, I'm looking for a US based server. I'm not sure if the location matters now in days? But the closer to the Bay Area, the better.

Good customer support and a company that won't be here gone tomorrow is a must. 💪

Thank You!

Comments

• AK_KWHAK_KWH Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

Hi
    Can provide you semi-managed(basic ) vps in US with free Directadmin license

• 2 vCore
    • 3Gb Ram
    • 50GB SSD
    • 2TB Bandwith@1Gsec

11$/m

Without directadmin
    5.50$/m (you can use any free panel like cyberpanel :)

https://khanwebhost.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=559

We will deal with terminal if you had any issue in future(basic) + install panel for you :)

• cazrzcazrz Member

Try cloudjiffy
    @leapswitch

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • ariq01ariq01 Member

i'm using @VirMach black friday vps since 2017 to run jekyll, wordpress, and ghost blog. If you're lucky, you can get 1gb ~ 4gb ram vps for just $15 ~ $30/year.

• edited May 2020

Our Cloud I Server is probably the best for your use case. The system runs on VMWare (so full virtualization almost identical to a real physical server and dedicated hardware) and comes with

1 Xeon E3-1275v6 or Epyc 7502 core (Intel in Finland, AMD in Germany)
    1GB RAM
    20 GB SSD
    1 TB Bandwidth @ Gbps
    1 IPv4 Address
    1 IPv6 /64 network

Back-up wise we use a continuous back-up system that makes a back-up every hour of your VM and stores the back-ups within our datacenter for 2 weeks. These back-ups are themselves backed up daily to an offsite storage network where they are stored for 4 months. This way we guarantee there is always a recent copy of your data as well as more longterm for issues you discover much later and of course to keep your data safe even if everything that can go wrong goes wrong.

To help get you started I can do the full Ghost setup and install an (easier) management panel. We're also working on a VM management interface with features like bridging with AWS and other cloud services so in the future if your blog grows you could run it both on our Cloud and another major provider to maximise efficiency and redundancy. Our network uses transits and we're getting peering at DE-CIX so even with it being outside of the US you should globally have no trouble getting it to load fast.

Including the support $7/m (cheaper if you pay quarterly, semianually or annually) with the coupon code LECLOUD2020 (30% Off coupon).

• Maybe @seriesn or @Francisco can help you

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@cazrz said:
    Try cloudjiffy
    @leapswitch

Thank you for mentioning us.

At CloudJiffy , we have one-click Ghost setup in Los Angeles, USA ( also in Germany and India ) . Signup on https://app.cloudjiffy.com/ , go to Marketplace and select Ghost.

It will create 2 containers ( one with Node.js and one for MySQL ), setup Ghost and provide you the login details. Each container will cost you $1/month and then higher if you use more resources. 20GB SSD space and 1GB traffic is free per hour.

• RoboCainRoboCain Member
    edited May 2020

@CasualCanvas said:
    Maybe @seriesn or @Francisco can help you

Thank you. I looked into the products being offered by @Francisco, but everything that's of interest to me is sold out.

The prices, the fact that his products include some type of visual panel (without an upsell) where I can do one click installs, that one shirtless picture of him where he looks like he spent the night partying with Ric Flair, and his rep in this forum made me curious.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@RoboCain said:

@CasualCanvas said:
    Maybe @seriesn or @Francisco can help you

Thank you. I looked into the products being offered by Francisco, bur everything is sold out. The prices, the fact that his products include some type of visual panel where I can do one click installs, and his rep in this forum made me curious. Wasn't aware of seriesn though. I'll check their offerings out shortly.

Buyvm and nexusbytes offers free directadmin. Then just get softaculous for directadmin. Im not sure if da could run ghost.

@Francisco
    @seriesn

• @cazrz I wonder if I could install Ghost on this: https://nexusbytes.com/cart.php?gid=21 and is it scalable?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Can Ghost be run on shared hosting? grab a slice from BuyVM or a VPS from @seriesn and I'm sure you will be fine. They are both prem.

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

You can install ghost on almost all offers here. However they are unmanaged. You have to setup nodejs and everything including mysql. You can ask nexusbytes if there is an easy way.

Installing and initial setup wont be your hardest obstacle. Yes, there is a learning curve. Maintenance will be your worry.

Managed nodejs server is hard to find or expensive.

I think softaculous does not support ghost blog anymore.

So i think your best bet if you want to go cheaper route is to learn how to manage a nodejs server.

• @cazrz said:
    You can install ghost on almost all offers here. However they are unmanaged. You have to setup nodejs and everything including mysql. You can ask nexusbytes if there is an easy way.

Installing and initial setup wont be your hardest obstacle. Yes, there is a learning curve. Maintenance will be your worry.

So i think your best bet if you want to go cheaper route is to learn how to manage a nodejs server.

In contrary Wordpress and the other PHP based CMS's can be pretty much left unmanaged right? I wonder why Ghost is so complicated.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

In contrary Wordpress and the other PHP based CMS's can be pretty much left unmanaged right? I wonder why Ghost is so complicated.

Ghost uses nodejs. Its a different system. You still have to manage php servers, else you get hack when you dont update systems.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited May 2020

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

I simply followed this instructions from this post. You can start with a super cheap ($1/$2 a month VPS) from a recent offer posted here, OVZ or KVM does not matter. Give it a try, if it works, you can always scale up to a higher plan. Good luck

https://websiteforstudents.com/install-ghost-2-0-on-ubuntu-16-04-18-04-18-10-with-mariadb/

In contrary Wordpress and the other PHP based CMS's can be pretty much left unmanaged right?

Unmanaged wordpress? You might as well live in a house without doors and windows :-)

p.s: Digitalocean has a one click installer for Ghost
    https://marketplace.digitalocean.com/apps/ghost

so does Google Cloud- they offer 1 year 'free' trial per account IIRC.

If you are committed to using Ghost for reasons you best know.

• Have you tried DigitalOcean? They have one click install for Ghost, and also easy to upgrade.

Maybe current Ghost-cli would need 1Gb memory to run, but for the older Ghost such 0.5 still can run under 512Mb

edited May 2020

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

Ghost uses nodejs. Its a different system. You still have to manage php servers, else you get hack when you dont update systems.

I see. Thank you for the clarification. :)

• cazrzcazrz Member

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

I also suggest you to try cloudjiffy by leapswitch. You can do the one click installs. And scale when needed. Their support is fast too. Give it a try.

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • @cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

I also suggest you to try cloudjiffy by leapswitch. You can do the one click installs. And scale when needed. Their support is fast too. Give it a try.

It looks interesting, but I'm not sure what to select? From 1 to 6.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Jord said:
    Can Ghost be run on shared hosting? grab a slice from BuyVM or a VPS from @seriesn and I'm sure you will be fine. They are both prem.

Ghost blog no longer support shared hosting enviornment, You need to use VPS.

edited May 2020

@DewlanceVPS said:

@Jord said:

Do you know why they are like that? Sucks that their Pro service is so pricey, but I guess that explains the reasoning behind no shared hosting limitation. It's an attempt to drive traffic to their paid service, which is understandable. I would get that if my budget for this project allowed for it.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@RoboCain if you haven't settled anywhere else, please try our services https://readydedis.com/cloud-servers we can also set it up for you :)

• @RoboCain said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

@Jord said:

Do you know why they are like that? Sucks that their Pro service is so pricey, but I guess that explains the reasoning behind no shared hosting limitation. It's an attempt to drive traffic to their paid service, which is understandable. I would get that if my budget for this project allowed for it.

Shared hosting for things that don't use the traditional setup of PHP, Nginx/Litespeed/Apache, MySQL is usually hit or miss with shared hosting. It would also get a lot of support requests to them (Both with a blog like Ghost and a forum like Discourse), so most non-PHP based scripts have focused on platforms really suited for the job. Which almost always need a VPS or at the very least docker.

Thanked by 1RoboCain
  • cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

It looks interesting, but I'm not sure what to select? From 1 to 6.

Most of the things there is point and click. However there are a lot of options. They are containers like docker.

Try their chat support and ask how to deploy ghost.

If you use unmanaged vps then running containers like docker or lxc will be your best bet for easy deployment. But still you will need to manage yourself the server and all systems like mysql.

If you can switch to wp then that will make your life easier. Self hosted ghost blog is for techie peeps. For non techie theres a deep learning curve.

Thanked by 1RoboCain
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited May 2020

@RoboCain Any host that gives you an option to install custom iso (including us) ->

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/ghost

Honestly though, if you only need a simple platform for blogging/content editing, wordpress is just perfect and probably the easiest.

@CasualCanvas @cazrz @Jord Thanks for the mention fam <3

edited May 2020

@seriesn said:
    @RoboCain Any host that gives you an option to install custom iso (including us) ->

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/ghost

Honestly though, if you only need a simple platform for blogging/content editing, wordpress is just perfect and probably the easiest.

@CasualCanvas @cazrz @Jord Thanks for the mention fam <3

The thing is that I hate Wordpress. It's so clunky and complicated. :smile:

This whole thing has been quite exhausting though. Too many options, and there's nothing that's really a one click install for this project.

edited May 2020

Ghost is prem. I use it for our new blog. Much better than Wordpress.

Thanked by 2RoboCain ariq01
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

@Jord said:

Waiting for a Panda Guide for blogging with Ghost

@vyas11 said:

@Jord said:

Easy:

1) Find prem VPS (Needs to be real cheap)
    2) Install CentOS 7/8
    3) Update and add the condoms
    4) Install Nginx
    5) Deploy Ghost
    6) Add Domain
    7) Add SSL Cert
    8) Setup Ghost
    9) Blog
    10) Eat a fuckton of bamboo.

Hope this helps you sir @vyas11

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

RoboCain said: Do you know why they are like that? Sucks that their Pro service is so pricey,

That ghost.org domain name didn't come cheap.

Ghost is ridiculous. Node.js just to run a blog, too hipster to run in common-man shared hosting.

Thanked by 1RoboCain
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

@Jord said:

@vyas11 said:

@Jord said:

Easy:

1) Find prem VPS (Needs to be real cheap)
    2) Install CentOS 7/8
    3) Update and add the condoms
    4) Install Nginx
    5) Deploy Ghost
    6) Add Domain
    7) Add SSL Cert
    8) Setup Ghost
    9) Blog
    10) Eat a fuckton of bamboo.

Hope this helps you sir @vyas11

Points 3 and 11 noted.
    I will merely replace centos with debain if One may...