Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to backup with low disk space on host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to backup with low disk space on host?

johhhnjohhhn Member

Hi! What backup methods do you use on your whm/cpanel/etc. to backup your server when your server's space is very low? Seems like a lot of backup options require space on your server to backup, which is unfortunate.

thank for any help.

Comments

• Why you don't backup encrypted copies somewhere else with deduplication / incremental backups?

• johhhnjohhhn Member

I wasn't clear enough. :)

Some backup programs, like cpanel's or jetpack, require a lot of space on your server to backup to another server.

• Going to need space for the tars before they are off loaded elsewhere most likely

• ChronicChronic Member

You can pipe tar over ssh.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

johhhn said: Seems like a lot of backup options require space on your server to backup, which is unfortunate.

Yeah lack of disk space on source server can be problematic. For that I am writing and testing a new backup script for my Centmin Mod LEMP stack usage which allows 100% remote server backup using tar/mariabackup for file and mariadb database backups fed through Facebook's zstd compression (benchmarks) and netcat. I've currently been able to achieve backup speeds in 200-500MB/s range across servers with 10Gbps connectivity :sunglasses: Really want to see see how much faster I can make it :)

Then will do MySQL backup data verification via automatic test restore data to throw away standalone MariaDB MySQL servers created automatically via dbdeployer https://github.com/datacharmer/dbdeployer :)

Doing 100% remote backups, will allow you to just provision remote backup server with more disk space to house all source servers' backed up data files :)

Simple example for tar to stdout fed throuh SSH connection to a remote server https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/linux-shell-scripting/9781785881985/6efd1089-b99c-4ba3-8cad-96b29923f415.xhtml

Thanked by 2johhhn maverickp
  • cazrzcazrz Member

Rsync from destination?

• cazrz said: Rsync from destination?

Will only give 1 backup version. Sometimes you will have to restore from 2-3 days prior backup.

Thanked by 1johhhn
  • johhhnjohhhn Member

@eva2000 said:

johhhn said: Seems like a lot of backup options require space on your server to backup, which is unfortunate.

Yeah lack of disk space on source server can be problematic. For that I am writing and testing a new backup script for my Centmin Mod LEMP stack usage which allows 100% remote server backup using tar/mariabackup for file and mariadb database backups fed through Facebook's zstd compression (benchmarks) and netcat. I've currently been able to achieve backup speeds in 200-500MB/s range across servers with 10Gbps connectivity :sunglasses: Really want to see see how much faster I can make it :)

Then will do MySQL backup data verification via automatic test restore data to throw away standalone MariaDB MySQL servers created automatically via dbdeployer https://github.com/datacharmer/dbdeployer :)

Doing 100% remote backups, will allow you to just provision remote backup server with more disk space to house all source servers' backed up data files :)

Simple example for tar to stdout fed throuh SSH connection to a remote server https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/linux-shell-scripting/9781785881985/6efd1089-b99c-4ba3-8cad-96b29923f415.xhtml

are you going to share said script? :smiley:

• johhhnjohhhn Member

I'm going to try this and was wondering if anyone knew how reliable it would be: Remote mount another server and then use that for temp backups space for your backup operation.

• @johhhn said:
    I'm going to try this and was wondering if anyone knew how reliable it would be: Remote mount another server and then use that for temp backups space for your backup operation.

As long as it has good speed and you monitor it properly, you should be fine. Check Acronis too for remote backup.

• sonacoresonacore Member
    edited May 2020

autosync somewhere else kinda good too. :|

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2020

johhhn said: are you going to share said script?

Right now it's only intended for my paying clients running Centmin Mod LEMP stack and then eventually will add cPanel and DirectAdmin control panel support for my paid clients.

jonesolutions said: As long as it has good speed and you monitor it properly, you should be fine. Check Acronis too for remote backup.

Yeah key would be the network speed between source and remote destination servers >1Gbps is a must for any decent speeds. I like Linode VPS for this as a US$40/month VPS at Linode has 40Gbps in/5Gbps out network speeds so you can push serious speeds :) Linode higher plans have 40Gbps in and up to 9-12Gbps out.

Thanked by 1johhhn
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@khuongcomputer said:

cazrz said: Rsync from destination?

Will only give 1 backup version. Sometimes you will have to restore from 2-3 days prior backup.

It depends on how you setup. Else if you want to do easy with web gui then you can try backuppc.

But i recommend to optimize the disk usage of your site or server.

1. Backup first to offsite storage
    2. Offload all assets or static files
    3. Only use 50% of your local disk.
    4. Use git, no need to backup codes. You have it in your local pc.
    5. Only backup dynamic data like databases.
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Yes, You can use custom bash script to do this.

In bash script you can Create backup > Upload and then delete back from source. This process will be repeated unless all accounts will be backuped on offside server.

I used it but there is some problem, I was not able to exclude some accounts.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

jonesolutions said: Check Acronis too for remote backup.

+1. Cyber Cloud is an awesome bit of kit.

• Tr33nTr33n Member

johhhn said: Some backup programs, like cpanel's or jetpack, require a lot of space on your server to backup to another server.

You can setup a NFS mount on your remote server and use this to store the temporary files.

Thanked by 1johhhn
  • pbxpbx Member

Borg?

Thanked by 1johhhn
  • johhhnjohhhn Member

@Clouvider said:

What does that run?

• johhhnjohhhn Member

@pbx said:
    Borg?

thanks, it's on my list to test.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@johhhn said:

@Clouvider said:

What does that run?

Its acronis, it has its own agent. I think you still need some extra space to run it.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@cazrz said:

@johhhn said:

@Clouvider said:

What does that run?

Its acronis, it has its own agent. I think you still need some extra space to run it.

In CyberCloud they provide you with the space.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@Clouvider said:

@cazrz said:

@johhhn said:

@Clouvider said:

What does that run?

In CyberCloud they provide you with the space.

Yes, i know, but i think the agent still needs some space to pricess. Iirc i asked this in imuñify360.

Thanked by 1Clouvider