Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLUS.IO Control Panel Mini Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SOLUS.IO Control Panel Mini Review

oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Oplink has been looking into overhaul its VPS system and we have been reviewing control panel options. We use SolusVM now, but its getting dated and who knows how long they will continue to update it as time goes on. Heck they might force everyone to SolusIO once its a bit more feature ready.

I figured I would share some of my initial thoughts on SolusIO since I have played with it a bit now. I know everyone is complaining about prices, ME INCLUDED! haha!

I installed this two ways.. The first was rush rush install on a master + 1 node running over public IPs. There installer scripts install the master with ease. Once you get the master up, you just install centos8 on your nodes > run yum updates > reboot > add the compute resource on the master. It will SSH in and setup everything for you. Super simple. Updates to master & nodes work with a push of a button. They are pushing constant updates as they fix bugs every week or sooner.

The next install was a bit more in depth as I setup a firewall/vlan for it to run behind to further test how far they were along. I figured at 5.41/USD per core it would be pretty far along. It was a bit more tricky getting it setup behind a firewall due to some IP changes for internal docker containers that run solusio in the background. I reached out for help with the solusIO team to learn how to make the IP adjustments and they were happy to help me w/ the free trial license. All thought I am not sure i received 'quick' support, but considering I wasn't paying them I don't think I could complain too much about that. The people I needed to speak with I think are sleeping while I am awake here in Houston, TX..

In general the system is super easy to install/setup. A little more tricky if you firewall things off. VM creation is super fast. The tools/buttons/functions that are here feel production level and are very quick to respond. I like the fact that it allows us to install on the latest centos8 for master/nodes.

For me its missing a few key elements before I could even consider it for the cost per core.

Key missing things right now:

1. Add additional IPV4 to clients VMs
    Sols Reply: "Currently this functionality is not included in plans."

2. Upgrade/Change VM resources.
    "This functionality is planned to be added in 2020 Q3"

3. Windows 10 Pro, Windows 2016 and 2019 standard Templates.
    Currently we don't support Windows images as we don't have agreement with Microsoft for distributing Windows Server images.
    You can try building own Windows image using this tool:
    https://github.com/plesk/solus-cloud-images
    (This one just doesn't sound fun at all to work on)

4. VM Import tool/button for solusvm/kvm/onapp/vmware etc.

5. Allow install VM from ISO.
    "This functionality is planned to be included in 2020 Q3"

6. Set VM internet Port speed
    "There is no exact ETA however we expect this within 1-2 month"

Has anyone else here tested this stuff out yet? What do you guys think? What's missing? What do you like about it vs other options.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanked by 1jar

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

I thought about testing it two or three days ago, but before I even ran the installer I thought "wow this is silly, am I really going to pay $60/m just to have this on a Ryzen 3900X? that's basically a base colo cost." then I cancelled the trial.

Not to mention there's no migration path from SolusVM, but it's not a huge deal.

Thanked by 2o_be_one oplink
  • hzrhzr Member

MikeA said: Not to mention there's no migration path from SolusVM, but it's not a huge deal.

They released a solus that can't be migrated to from solus?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

hzr said: They released a solus that can't be migrated to from solus?

Only seems to share the name, no clear similarities in codebase. Solus.io is so modern it even installs itself as a stack of docker containers.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

@hzr said:

MikeA said: Not to mention there's no migration path from SolusVM, but it's not a huge deal.

They released a solus that can't be migrated to from solus?

Yeah, like jar said, there's nothing really similar other than the fact it uses KVM. Not being able to migrate isn't a deal breaker for me.

Either way, they gave me two examples of companies who currently use Solus.io, and one of them was a company that charges $20/m for 1GB RAM... and the other was a managed VPS provider selling at $12/m per 1GB RAM at $50~/m minimum. So you can see who Solus.io is targeting here.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jar said:

Only seems to share the name, no clear similarities in codebase. Solus.io is so modern it even installs itself as a stack of docker containers.

Even still, a one way import tool shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Would definitely increase the viability of the product, though they've already killed that with pricing.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Unless your target is not actually the majority Solus 1 user base and you target OnApp

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

I also tried it but pricing made me to don't continue with it. I saw a thread somewhere on their suggestion section that they are considering price changes but don't have proper information on it. Let's see in upcoming time. So far I liked the UI and upcoming features of Solus 1.1 which makes it ready to deploy....

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@jar said:

I agree the docker backend is very modern. I really do like the way the backend functions. I do look forward to seeing to grow. I really wish the price was lower.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

oplink said: I agree the docker backend is very modern. I really do like the way the backend functions. I do look forward to seeing to grow. I really wish the price was lower.

Keep wishing :) They really have no reason to.

Francisco

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

I wish they will add some payment gateway into their new Solus so we could bypass WHMCS. And it feel more like an all in one integrated cloud platform.

I know they will not do that

But still you can vote for it

https://features.solus.io/topic/integrated-billing

For the software yes I did try from beta to present present release and I can say that it's really impressive.

Pricing is the main concern but it's still reasonable if you compare with features it have and will add 8n future and if your target market is not LowEnd

• 0x650x65 Member

@ViridWeb said:
    I wish they will add some payment gateway into their new Solus so we could bypass WHMCS. And it feel more like an all in one integrated cloud platform.

Probably they won't. They will force clients to pay extra for their sister company WHMCS.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@0x65 said:

@ViridWeb said:

Probably they won't. They will force clients to pay extra for their sister company WHMCS.

But nothing to loose if we at least try using votes.