Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server for Online Library Website with Ebook & Video Streaming / Download
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server for Online Library Website with Ebook & Video Streaming / Download

I got a project from government, it needs a server for online library where students can stream video and download content.

This will be created from scratch. I am thinking about creating a website, mostly static page and populate the dynamic part of the website using ajax (username, email, etc). That way I can leverage html cdn caching such as bunnycdn.

The bandwidth would be about 100TB a month.

I am thinking about $2000 a month with 3 dedicated server 1 master, 2 as a fail over. And using nodejs instead of PHP.

What do you guys think ? Is Bunny the right way to go ?

Thank for the advice, or the troll for that matter.

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

This is for your government/all users will be in your country? Why not host it all in domestic? If I remember correctly in your area domestic/international bandwidth is insane orders of magnitude difference and international links are super expensive for port size compared to it.

Thanked by 2sibaper coreflux
  • sibapersibaper Member

agree with @hzr indonesian gov had policy to host their server within indonesia.

1. how many user do you expected to online on same time (concurrent user)?
    2. Nothing wrong with nodejs or PHP if the content cached able.
    3. You might need more server example for database cluster
    4. If you using 3 server why set 2 as failover? use all of them to spread the load
    5. Are you sure you need CDN? It's a mandatory or just nice to have
    Thanked by 1coreflux
  • hzrhzr Member

Yeah I have trouble seeing need for CDN if all of your users will be in IIX reach.

• @sibaper said:
    agree with @hzr indonesian gov had policy to host their server within indonesia.

In this case, they specifically asked me providing the server

I don't know. Probably 30 thousands.

1. Nothing wrong with nodejs or PHP if the content cached able.

I don't want to deal with writing the website from scratch when php performance is not feasible anymore.

1. You might need more server example for database cluster

2. If you using 3 server why set 2 as failover? use all of them to spread the load

Yeah, that's what I am going to do, distributing the load between the server using DNS. in case 1 server going down, there will still 2 doing fine.

1. Are you sure you need CDN? It's a mandatory or just nice to have

The main purpose of providing CDN is because :
    1. It has clear price. $5 / TB, My estimation would be 100TB monthly bandwidth. So, it's about $500 for bandwidth. I can't find provider that can guarantee 100TB monthly bandwidth in Indonesia. Most of them just said unlimited, but we all know what unlimited means.
    2. I don't need to worry my website going down because of the influx of the visitor. I am planning to serve my whole website from the cdn. So I can sleep at night knowing the CDN Server got my back.

You would be surprised on how often our official government website going down because there are a lot of traffic coming in. That's how bad our country infrastructure and that's why I don't believe them.

In my case, CDN is not about the speed. It's about not letting my website going down. Also probably will be going with Google Cloud function with Firebase Database as the backend for the same reason. Able to sleep 😴 at night is become something that we earn.

Also one more thing, when people asked me what do you use ? VPS or Dedicated, I can answer with confidence, neither. I AM USING CLOUD

• @hzr said:
    Yeah I have trouble seeing need for CDN if all of your users will be in IIX reach.

I am having trouble believing any provider in my country can guarantee my server won't going down when accessed by ten of thousands of visitor daily in consume about 100TB of bandwidth monthly.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

BunnyCDN is prem

• hzrhzr Member

yokowasis said: I am having trouble believing any provider in my country can guarantee my server won't going down when accessed by ten of thousands of visitor daily in consume about 100TB of bandwidth monthly.

This is only 300 Mbps. A gbit port or two would do it. Serve videos with HLS/adaptive

• mrclownmrclown Member

@yokowasis is that your project based in Indonesia?

• be aware that, project from indonesia goverment, need server located in indonesia too. if you host outside indonesia, then you will get trouble in another days.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @mrclown said:
    @yokowasis is that your project based in Indonesia?

Yes it's.

@hzr said:

yokowasis said: I am having trouble believing any provider in my country can guarantee my server won't going down when accessed by ten of thousands of visitor daily in consume about 100TB of bandwidth monthly.

This is only 300 Mbps. A gbit port or two would do it. Serve videos with HLS/adaptive

On paper yes. But I don't believe on Indonesian provider capability. If they can guarantee the server won't go down, I will gladly go with them.

I just don't want to deal with the drama and customer support.

• sibapersibaper Member

@yokowasis said:

@sibaper said:

then give them server in indonesia. that the policy

Doing what?

Yeah, that's what I am going to do, distributing the load between the server using DNS. in case 1 server going down, there will still 2 doing fine.

nope you're doing it in wrong way, dont use dns failover. Most Indonesia ISP cache dns more than 6 hours.

"know your enemy so you can fight them better"

1. It has clear price. $5 / TB, My estimation would be 100TB monthly bandwidth. So, it's about $500 for bandwidth. I can't find provider that can guarantee 100TB monthly bandwidth in Indonesia. Most of them just said unlimited, but we all know what unlimited means.

I know some, depend on your budget.

1. I don't need to worry my website going down because of the influx of the visitor. I am planning to serve my whole website from the cdn. So I can sleep at night knowing the CDN Server got my back.

even if your website behind CDN let say cloudfront/cloudflare you still need to keep your website backend alive.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited May 2020

@sibaper said:

@yokowasis said:

@sibaper said:

then give them server in indonesia. that the policy

They didn't specifically asked for Indonesian server. I prefer Server Quality over geo-location.

Doing what?

Streaming Video, browsing books, downloading books. Students stuff.

nope you're doing it in wrong way, dont use dns failover. Most Indonesia ISP cache dns more than 6 hours.

I am planning to use cloudflare load balance.

"know your enemy so you can fight them better"

Can't agree more, that's why I am asking for people oppinions.

I know some, depend on your budget.

The budget is around $2000 a month all included.

1. I don't need to worry my website going down because of the influx of the visitor. I am planning to serve my whole website from the cdn. So I can sleep at night knowing the CDN Server got my back.

even if your website behind CDN let say cloudfront/cloudflare you still need to keep your website backend alive.

That's why I am planning to use Google Cloud Platform as my backend. At least when the server going down, I still have the cached version of my frontend website on the CDN, and have google cover my backend.

Azure VS Google Cloud VS AWS which one should I go for the backend ?
    I take the route of Serverless Function and Database because, again. I don't want to deal with server so I can sleep at night. I am even considering the possibility of uploading the website into firebase hosting / bunnycdn storage zone, so the website will be 100% serverless.

• While it's nice, I don't think Google will enable all the cloud features in the region. They don't even have firebase and cloud function on Singapore. I doubt they will have it on Indonesia.

• NdhaNdha Member

@yokowasis said:

Almost 2 months, sites using CF Proxy had problem with Telkom/Telkomsel, slow load and high ping..

• sonacoresonacore Member
    edited May 2020

.duh, usually project from indonesia goverment, need server located in indonesia too.

• @sonacore said:
    .duh, usually project from indonesia goverment, need server located in indonesia too.

I have done a few project from different state / city in the past, not even once, the government representative specify that the server must be in Indonesia. As long as it works. That's all that matter.

@Ndha said:

@yokowasis said:

Almost 2 months, sites using CF Proxy had problem with Telkom/Telkomsel, slow load and high ping..

Yes they are.

• sibapersibaper Member

yokowasis said: As long as it works. That's all that matter.

WOW just wow

• @sibaper said:

yokowasis said: As long as it works. That's all that matter.

WOW just wow

Wow indeed. There is no point having server in Indonesia if it doesn't work.

Look at CPNS, Police Sign Up, national Exam, Islamic School National Exam. Public Election, all of them are country level project. Their infrastructure is not powerful enough, they can't even scale. You think National Level Project would have server that can handle national level traffic. Yet it can't.

Connection problem plague them. People even resort into desperate illogical measures such as using internet explorer. Wow indeed.

What's the point of using geo location server if the server is down half of the time?

• Look, I am here looking for suggestion. My client doesn't asked me for providing server on Indonesia specifically, then that's what I am going to do. I am looking for the best way to do this. The server can be in Moon or Mars for that matter, as long as it works and satisfy my client requirements, that's all that matters.

• if there's no confidential document hosted I think it safe to use servers outside Indonesia.
    But please put in your consideration that Indonesia ISP connection to IX is a bit troublesome sometimes.

If so why not tries AWS? a lot of Indonesian startups using that

• @DianTama said:
    if there's no confidential document hosted I think it safe to use servers outside Indonesia.
    But please put in your consideration that Indonesia ISP connection to IX is a bit troublesome sometimes.

If so why not tries AWS? a lot of Indonesian startups using that

It's just pdf and video for students. So they can learn from home. Nothing fancy or confidential for that matter. It's just I am not too confident in Indonesian provider. If anyone has can recommend me a provider that has server on Indonesia that can handle that much of a traffic, feel free to inform me.

In term of Server less database + function, which one is cheaper / better? AWS VS GCP VS AZURE. Do you have any experience with them?

• corefluxcoreflux Member
    edited May 2020

$2000/month? with 100TB upto monthly data to be distributed? Well don't expect good quality streaming then if you use IX with that kind of budget limit, not mention failover part too,...

If most content accessed using IIX then use local IaaS provider, since IIX bandwidth is far more cheaper+faster than IX in most cases but most of the cost goes to licenses+storage and I think it far more cheaper for the video content to be served locally while the website could be replicated elsewhere outside IIX networks for the uptime,...

Unlimited? then you should tell them about ur expected usage limit, it's still true unlimited but most of them are in shared 1Gbps IIX uplink, better ask for dedicated lines if you feel there is enough budget for it and really needed for stable streaming.

So, it's better ask rather than making assumptions, grab more data before asking.
    Last but not least, always remember your budget limit, not the expectations or do better calculations based on research rather than just accepting projects,...

Clue? HA sites using IX (it's should be okay) plus locally cached content while using external providers for scalable storage service since you don't have to store everything on the edge server forever,...