Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Bounty] $25 for assistance in configuring mod_evasive, CSF and Cloudflare API
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Bounty] $25 for assistance in configuring mod_evasive, CSF and Cloudflare API

nandikanandika Member

Hi!
I'm offering $25 if you can help me.

I'm going to start a new site soon and by previous experience I'm going to be stress-tested by script kiddies after site opening. These are repeating requests to my site multiple times / second from multiple different IP's. I could filter them by hand easily, but if I'm asleep then site is down for some hours, which I want to prevent.

I was thinking I need to configure mod_evasive to automatically deny these IP's, but 403 could also bog down the server a bit, so I think I need more than that.

What I want from you:

• mod_evasive recommended values
  • configure mod_evasive to add blocked IP's to CSF firewall deny list for a max. 10-15 seconds
  • configure mod_evasive to add blocked IP to CloudFlare Firewall as Challenge or Javascript Challenge using CloudFlare API

The last 2 should probably be done by a shell script.

The server is a regular Centos 7 with Virtualmin default install with mod_cloudflare installed.
I was thinking the CSF block is needed so if any unfiltered traffic is still coming thru from CloudFlare it gets blocked by CSF, but only for 10-15 seconds, so if they pass cloudflare challenge, they are no longer blocked by CSF

I'm also open to other resolutions as well instead of mod_evasive.
Server is completely blocked from http(s) access, only open to Cloudflare IP range.