Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gullo hosting not enough RAM, oversell?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gullo hosting not enough RAM, oversell?

AnndrAnndr Member

Today I tried to update and install programs, but they write to me that:
FATAL -> Failed to fork.
this means not enough RAM. but everything is fine with memory
free -m
. total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 128 66 20 0 40 60
Swap: 0 0 0

other programs are also very slow. I ask you to check the server and if there is, please do not do strong oversell.

P.S. My IP: 10.10.50.211

Thanked by 1serversHQ

Comments

• Have you tried opening a ticket with the provider, instead of opening a thread on a public forum?

Usually helps a lot, or so I've heard.

Thanked by 3RecD Cam TimboJones
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@Anndr said:
    Today I tried to update and install programs, but they write to me that:
    FATAL -> Failed to fork.
    this means not enough RAM. but everything is fine with memory
    free -m
    . total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 128 66 20 0 40 60
    Swap: 0 0 0

other programs are also very slow. I ask you to check the server and if there is, please do not do strong oversell.

P.S. My IP: 10.10.50.211

You have a nat vps with 128 MB ram?

Upgrade your plan. Has nothing to do with them over selling.

Thanked by 2Cam bdl
  • vovlervovler Member
    edited May 2020

Oh no... a $2/y, actually $1/y on blackfriday NAT VPS provider is overselling RAM?

A SHOCKER!!!

• Is it even possible to oversell 128mb nat $2 / year?

Most people will just idling them.

• AnndrAnndr Member

@t0ny0 said:
    Have you tried opening a ticket with the provider, instead of opening a thread on a public forum?

this provider does not support technical support help via tickets. only for payment via ticket.

seriesn said: You have a nat vps with 128 MB ram?

yes, nat vps with 128 MB ram. Before that, everything worked fine. and I have another server with 64 MB of memory and everything works there.

• LESLES Member

Tried reboot/reinstall?

• seriesnseriesn Member

@Anndr said:

@t0ny0 said:
    Have you tried opening a ticket with the provider, instead of opening a thread on a public forum?

this provider does not support technical support help via tickets. only for payment via ticket.

seriesn said: You have a nat vps with 128 MB ram?

yes, nat vps with 128 MB ram. Before that, everything worked fine. and I have another server with 64 MB of memory and everything works there.

It is a tough push man. Really tough push.

Try enabling swap.

• AnndrAnndr Member

LES said: Tried reboot

yes reboot, it doesn't help.

seriesn said: Try enabling swap.

I can't. swap is blocked

yokowasis said: Is it even possible to oversell 128mb nat $2 / year?

if you strongly oversell then there will be problems. if you oversell within reasonable limits then everything is fine.

• AnndrAnndr Member

vovler said: Oh no... a $2/y, actually $1/y on blackfriday NAT VPS provider is overselling RAM?
    A SHOCKER!!!

I live in Russia, I can't afford to buy more expensive.

• @Anndr said:

vovler said: Oh no... a $2/y, actually $1/y on blackfriday NAT VPS provider is overselling RAM?
    A SHOCKER!!!

I think gcorelabs has some nice 80 RUB offers.

• vovlervovler Member

@Anndr said:

A SHOCKER!!!

What are you looking to do with the VPS? Hosting a website? If so there are many shared hosting providing hosting for 1y for peanuts.

Either way, on a small budget there are providers that offer free credit if you provide CC info. Just look for their offers.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Anndr said:

A SHOCKER!!!

Living in Russia it’s not a valid excuse, $2 a year - almost nothing. Try your local providers than as prices will be optimised for local market / prices.

Just check your software to see who you be able to optimise it.

• AnndrAnndr Member

dedipromo said: I think gcorelabs has some nice 80 RUB offers.

No, gcorelabs it has a minimum price of 88*12=1056 rubles / year. and at gullo it is 140 rubles/year.

vovler said: What are you looking to do with the VPS? Hosting a website? If so there are many shared hosting providing hosting for 1y for peanuts.

Only for VPN. we have strict censorship in Russia and a lot of websites are blocked.

WebProject said: Living in Russia it’s not a valid excuse, $2 a year - almost nothing. Try your local providers than as prices will be optimised for local market / prices.

Just check your software to see who you be able to optimise it.

I can't contact local Russian suppliers because I need a foreign IP address for the vpn. and in Russia, prices are higher, it's very strange but we do not have a cheap VPS or VPN

• xaocxaoc Member

If your usage is development/testing then you can always use those Oracle/Google cloud shells. Google Cloud's shell has root access and it's quite fast, was not able to gain root access on an Oracle shell so haven't done much testing. For other usage you could get teh Oracle Cloud always free VMs, their CPU might not be the fastest but i've had no issues with them so far, network wise they are very stable and you get plenty of bandwidth.

Some links to the above:
    https://cloud.google.com/shell
    https://oracle.com/cloud/free

• imokimok Member

Ask dad or mon or friends for $2 and buy another one if this is not working.

Thanked by 1AtlantiaCloud_Alex
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Anndr said:
    Only for VPN. we have strict censorship in Russia and a lot of websites are blocked.

Any reason why you don't just use a commercial VPN? Some are pretty cheap.

• AnndrAnndr Member

imok said: Ask dad or mon or friends for $2 and buy another one if this is not working.

I have two. this one and another one with 64 MB of RAM.

MikeA said: Any reason why you don't just use a commercial VPN? Some are pretty cheap.

commercial do not have a price of about$ 2 per year. the price is much higher there.

xaoc said: Some links to the above:

https://cloud.google.com/shell
    https://oracle.com/cloud/free

thanks for the link, I didn't know about these services

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited May 2020

@MikeA said:

@Anndr said:

You must be joking... Usually a commercial VPN's more expensive than a VPS.
    Seems like OP can't afford expensive plans and he needs something around $1/mo or even 2-5 bucks/year.

I used the free Windscribe plan (20GB bandwidth) but it was kinda pain. My connection was broken every 5-10 minutes. Maybe the paid plan that includes 1 location is better, who knows?

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • elliotcelliotc Member

If you have a job, then you should can afford a vps. If you are student, aws offer free credits.
    Stacksocial have some very cheap lifetime vpn offer, if you just want to bypass national block.

• AnndrAnndr Member

RedSox said: Maybe the paid plan that includes 1 location is better, who knows?

if you can configure your own server, then use this provider https://hosting.gullo.me
    I have been using this provider for a long time. There are no problems with speed, everything is very good. but today there is a problem with RAM, but it does not affect the VPN operation. I can't just configure the VPS itself and can't update existing programs.

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited May 2020

@Anndr said:

RedSox said: Maybe the paid plan that includes 1 location is better, who knows?

if you can configure your own server, then use this provider https://hosting.gullo.me
    I have been using this provider for a long time. There are no problems with speed, everything is very good. but today there is a problem with RAM, but it does not affect the VPN operation. I can't just configure the VPS itself and can't update existing programs.

Nah, I don't like OVZ for VPN cuz it doesn't allow to enable BBR. I prefer KVM. Got 1 KVM VPS, for 12 bucks annualy and totally happy. Fast, reliable, nice support. The only thing I can complain is that VPS doesn't make coffee in the mornings ;)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@RedSox said:

@MikeA said:

@Anndr said:

You must be joking... Usually a commercial VPN's more expensive than a VPS.
    Seems like OP can't afford expensive plans and he needs something around $1/mo or even 2-5 bucks/year.

I used the free Windscribe plan (20GB bandwidth) but it was kinda pain. My connection was broken every 5-10 minutes. Maybe the paid plan that includes 1 location is better, who knows?

I'm not joking. There's more VPNs than the $10/m ones you see that buy TV advertisements.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2020

@yokowasis said:
    Is it even possible to oversell 128mb nat $2 / year?

Most people will just idling them.

Yes, did you read the old LES forum?

"400 containers on spinning rust Raid 1"
    "Memory is oversold 3-5x"

You can use free Windscribe account as it will come with free 20GB bandwidth per month, if you do use google and you will be able to find voucher code and be able to upgrade to 50GB.

Thanked by 3Ympker RedSox Ouji
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2020

Doesn't PH VPN come with a free tier and unlimited data... Or so I've heard? :)

Aside from Windscribe Free (which worked solid for me), there is also Keepsolid now has VPN Lite (unlimited data) and Ivacy respectively "Ivacy Lite" (also unlimited data). All 3 are from well established providers.

• AnndrAnndr Member

WebProject said: You can use free Windscribe account as it will come with free 20GB bandwidth per month, if you do use google and you will be able to find voucher code and be able to upgrade to 50GB.

I don't want to use free VPNs. they collect data about me and sell it to third parties. and the speed on free VPNs is low.

@Anndr said:

WebProject said: You can use free Windscribe account as it will come with free 20GB bandwidth per month, if you do use google and you will be able to find voucher code and be able to upgrade to 50GB.

I don't want to use free VPNs. they collect data about me and sell it to third parties. and the speed on free VPNs is low.

I personally tried free and pro Windscribe, no speed difference just access to the server locations. Have you got any evidence of data collection? Are you aware of fact that your internet provider and almost all websites do collect data?

Thanked by 2MikeA RedSox
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I think some people think of VPN as some sort of risk-free tax haven.

How little they know.

Thanked by 3WebProject Ouji Pwner
  • AnndrAnndr Member

deank said: I think some people think of VPN as some sort of risk-free tax haven.
    How little they know.

please tell me in more detail where there might be problems?

• The amount of time you spent reading, writing, and replying to this thread was already more then $2...

Thanked by 2RedSox MrH