Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
First Root KVM E3 benchmarks
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

First Root KVM E3 benchmarks

deer76deer76 Member
edited May 22 in Reviews

The offer looks good but I am disappointed by the CPU, what do you people think?

I was expecting something closer to @Falzo 's i7 (https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/7090234)

Geekbench v4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15506426

Geekbench v5: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2255093

nench:

-------------------------------------------------
 nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
 benchmark timestamp:    2020-05-22 13:00:50 UTC
-------------------------------------------------

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v2 @ 2.20GHz
CPU cores:    4
Frequency:    2199.922 MHz
RAM:          7.8G
Swap:         2.3G
Kernel:       Linux 4.4.0-31-generic x86_64

Disks:
vda    300G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    3.982 seconds
CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    6.947 seconds
CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    2.247 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 89 us / 287 us / 32.0 ms / 691 us
ioping: sequential read speed
    14.2 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 2.87 k iops, 717.3 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run:    356.67 MiB/s
    2nd run:    517.85 MiB/s
    3rd run:    651.36 MiB/s
    average:    508.63 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4:    ****

    Cachefly CDN:         88.18 MiB/s
    Leaseweb (NL):        56.09 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   8.36 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      38.62 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         10.26 MiB/s

Comments

  • NyrNyr Member

    deer76 said: what do you people think?

    For 15€/month it is an excellent deal.

    Thanked by 1vimalware
  • notarobonotarobo Member

    CPU look old

  • vimalwarevimalware Member

    Looks like OP was not provisioned on an E3.

    250GB USA RAID6 StorageKVM from €13/yr (no-torrenting, TopProvider)
    (affiliate for 🥰 ) https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/aff.php?aff=401&gid=30

  • deer76deer76 Member

    @Nyr said:

    deer76 said: what do you people think?

    For 15€/month it is an excellent deal.

    Contabo is 1/2 cheaper and very similar.

    @vimalware said:
    Looks like OP was not provisioned on an E3.

    It's a KVM E3 with SSD (not NVMe): https://www.first-root.com/server/vps/kvm-power-edition/#fndtn-panel-premium

  • NyrNyr Member

    @deer76 said:

    @Nyr said:

    deer76 said: what do you people think?

    For 15€/month it is an excellent deal.

    Contabo is 1/2 cheaper and very similar.

    If the main thing that matters to you are benchmark scores compared to price, maybe they are very similar.

    Is the CPU performance not good enough for your workloads, or you just want to see big numbers for the shake of it?

    @deer76 said:

    @vimalware said:
    Looks like OP was not provisioned on an E3.

    It's a KVM E3 with SSD (not NVMe): https://www.first-root.com/server/vps/kvm-power-edition/#fndtn-panel-premium

    It was provisioned on an E5.

  • deer76deer76 Member

    @Nyr said:

    @deer76 said:

    @Nyr said:

    deer76 said: what do you people think?

    For 15€/month it is an excellent deal.

    Contabo is 1/2 cheaper and very similar.

    If the main thing that matters to you are benchmark scores compared to price, maybe they are very similar.

    Is the CPU performance not good enough for your workloads, or you just want to see big numbers for the shake of it?

    The cpu benchmark scores tell you how good a cpu intensive workload will perform. I had already verified the workload before my post and it performed exactly as the benchmark tells: worse than the vps I already have. That's why people use benchmarks: to have a comparable common term rather than asking "how long does it take you to compile X?".

    I have mentioned in the post that the CPU is not satisfactory, you do not have to second guess my reasons to do a benchmark / review. I invite you to stick to the topic or go open a new one titled "Why does deer76 need a vps better than this?", which is not this thread.

    @deer76 said:

    @vimalware said:
    Looks like OP was not provisioned on an E3.

    It's a KVM E3 with SSD (not NVMe): https://www.first-root.com/server/vps/kvm-power-edition/#fndtn-panel-premium

    It was provisioned on an E5.

    I see.

  • NyrNyr Member

    For CPU intensive workloads one would need to use a environment designed for them, which is not a regular VPS in my humble opinion.

    That's why I was trying to guess your real requirements and specifically if you need guaranteed CPU performance, to suggest an adequate solution which could be a a compute instance or a dedicated server.

    Good luck with your search.

  • deer76deer76 Member

    @Nyr said:
    For CPU intensive workloads one would need to use a environment designed for them, which is not a regular VPS in my humble opinion.

    I am aware, but there are some VPSes better than others even without entering the dedi field. Since this is not for my business and I am on low endtalk.com, you get the idea.

    That's why I was trying to guess your real requirements and specifically if you need guaranteed CPU performance, to suggest an adequate solution which could be a a compute instance or a dedicated server.

    Good luck with your search.

    Don't guess: ask. And maybe next time avoid guessing that I am reviewing and comparing "for the s[h]ake of it".

  • NyrNyr Member
    edited May 23

    deer76 said: I am on low endtalk.com, you get the idea.

    The low end box concept is about doing more with less, not getting big specs for cheap. People replaced OpenSSH with Dropbear, disabled InnoDB in MySQL, used 32-bit systems almost exclusively... whatever it took to fit a functional server in a small, usually 64MB of RAM server.

    Nowadays the concept got diluted because hardware is cheaper, IP addresses are scarce and the community got almost replaced with newcomers seeking cheap deals, because that's what makes money.

  • notarobonotarobo Member

    But why didn't ask before buy?

  • FalzoFalzo Member

    for an E5 I'd say this is perfectly fine. I am not sure if they guarantue a certain type of CPU anyway, at least I haven't read it, just say 4 cores. that i7 thing is quite old - I think I don't even have that box anymore, maybe they also don't have those nodes anymore.

    as others pointed that probably would have been a good pre-sales question, if your use case puts that in high priority ;-)

    maybe simply contact their support and ask if they have something different with a higher single thread rating then, where they might be able to deploy your machine? from my experience support is usualy fair and helpful. @First-Root

    Thanked by 1RedSox

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • deer76deer76 Member

    @Falzo said:
    for an E5 I'd say this is perfectly fine. I am not sure if they guarantee a certain type of CPU anyway, at least I haven't read it, just say 4 cores. that i7 thing is quite old - I think I don't even have that box anymore, maybe they also don't have those nodes anymore.

    Yes I was not expecting anything particular but just something "better" than what I already have given that I went to 2x the price (but different provider of course).

    My review is positive not negative anyways.

    as others pointed that probably would have been a good pre-sales question, if your use case puts that in high priority ;-)

    For once I believed "Premium" was meaning something ;)

    maybe simply contact their support and ask if they have something different with a higher single thread rating then, where they might be able to deploy your machine? from my experience support is usually fair and helpful. @First-Root

    Will do, but I don't think so. I was wondering if there are better offers in this price range. I have been looking around a bit.

  • deer76deer76 Member

    @Nyr said:

    deer76 said: I am on low endtalk.com, you get the idea.

    The low end box concept is about doing more with less, not getting big specs for cheap. People replaced OpenSSH with Dropbear, disabled InnoDB in MySQL, used 32-bit systems almost exclusively... whatever it took to fit a functional server in a small, usually 64MB of RAM server.

    Nowadays the concept got diluted because hardware is cheaper, IP addresses are scarce and the community got almost replaced with newcomers seeking cheap deals, because that's what makes money.

    I find it hard to believe that it has not always been about "cheap deals", do you have some historical reading material for me to back this claim? And also about the "making more with less"? For example, read the guidelines for the "Request Forum": https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/97476/requests-forum-guidelines#latest

    Nowhere it is mentioned what you are saying.

  • deer76deer76 Member

    @notarobo said:
    But why didn't ask before buy?

    I was sure it would be better.

    Can we go back on topic here? Topic is: is this a good offer? are there comparable ones from other providers?

  • NyrNyr Member

    deer76 said: I find it hard to believe that it has not always been about "cheap deals", do you have some historical reading material for me to back this claim? And also about the "making more with less"?

    Good deals were always shared but the price limit was imposed from the start to limit specs of what a "low end box" could be, and you need to consider that more than a decade ago, $7 meant really low specs.

    Here you have some examples from that time, but there are lots more:

    Everything evolves and some years later, the community gained significant traction, with multiple resident hosts offering specific deals for the website and forum, at a time where IP addresses cost wasn't a factor and hardware was expensive, but still lots of people talking about the technical side and the industry in general, including some high profile industry figures and some very knowledgeable people.

    Those were the golden times in my opinion, then the property was sold, and then sold again. New owners of course wanted to make a profit on their investment and lots of shady stuff happened, which brings us to the present with the forum being less crappy than some years ago but still infested with lots of low quality spam.

    The current owner is a salesman despised by a huge chunk (most?) of the original community which left after being betrayed and lied to lots of times. Maintaining the original spirit was not smart business and the price limit would've been removed years ago if it wasn't to avoid outraging the community again.

    Nowadays the forum is half-decent in my opinion but I have no doubts that it will be sold again sooner than later, so we'll see what the future brings.

    I got a bit nostalgic.

    Thanked by 1deer76
  • deer76deer76 Member

    Nyr said: Those were the golden times in my opinion, then the property was sold, and then sold again. New owners of course wanted to make a profit on their investment and lots of shady stuff happened, which brings us to the present with the forum being less crappy than some years ago but still infested with lots of low quality spam.

    I have been around for a while here so I know about these recent iterations you mentioned, but not about the original story.

    For me personally it's not about looking for extremely cheap and obviously unrealistic/unsustainable offers, but the bar changes all the time so without a reference with other users I would not know if I am buying within a reasonable price range and features. I already skim off all the "scammy" providers which often make it to the LEB frontpage so I am usually looking for proven vendors.

    This provider for example has some VPS offers with dedicated cores, but it's not that interesting: https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/dedicatedcore-vps/

    I guess I am looking for something like that but maybe I should submit it in the Requests category.

  • NyrNyr Member

    deer76 said: delimiter.com

    Would probably avoid them, they actually had a representative in this forum and he managed to get himself banned. I don't remember the full story, sorry. They are part of a bigger holding company anyway, so the representative is maybe not representative lol

    deer76 said: I guess I am looking for something like that but maybe I should submit it in the Requests category.

    Most providers don't offer "dedicated cores" as it is not a popular product since it is not cost effective to 99% of customers, but a few do. Yes, a request thread would probably be a good idea.

  • SG42655SG42655 Member

    Never ever delimiter!!!

    Some years ago I forgot to cancel a Paypal update in time, so I paid 200$ too much. These are as credit on my customer account. Delimiter refuses to pay this out. But I can't use the credit either, because Delimiter switched to a new system and refuses to transfer my credit to the new system. I.e. theoretically I have a credit balance, practically the company has stolen 200$ from me.

  • FalzoFalzo Member

    deer76 said: VPS offers with dedicated cores

    I think it's not neccessarily about dedicated cores. the bench you initially posted is totally fine and scales quite good from single to multi-core performance. however, the E5 with the lower frequency is technically not able to achieve more.

    so what you should be looking for if you want a big number on single core performance is something like an i7, i9 or maybe E3 etc. so that you can benefit from a higher frequency rather than 'dedicated' or high amount of cores etc.

    maybe someone who is reselling the OVH range of dedicated servers for Gameserver, these could maybe satisfy your needs... I think @MikeA might be able to make an offer for that?

    better really just open up a request topic and try to be descriptive about it. you could even add a bench from your old system that you wanted to replace etc. ;-)

    btw: delimiter kind of deadpooled long ago. at least they kicked out all loss leaders in a questionable way (see @SG42655 comment above). I can only agree: stay far away!

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
    edited May 28

    @Falzo said:
    so what you should be looking for if you want a big number on single core performance is something like an i7, i9 or maybe E3 etc. so that you can benefit from a higher frequency rather than 'dedicated' or high amount of cores etc.

    maybe someone who is reselling the OVH range of dedicated servers for Gameserver, these could maybe satisfy your needs... I think @MikeA might be able to make an offer for that?

    better really just open up a request topic and try to be descriptive about it. you could even add a bench from your old system that you wanted to replace etc. ;-)

    btw: delimiter kind of deadpooled long ago. at least they kicked out all loss leaders in a questionable way (see @SG42655 comment above). I can only agree: stay far away!

    Separate from the Intel Core or AMD CPUs the new E-2200's are really great. But right, even without dedicated cores, you can still get much better performance out of shared resources if it's managed well. And it's not just the OVH servers, I use better hardware in locations that don't use OVH since OVH is very limiting. Dallas uses 3900X/3950X, Moscow uses 3700X, Miami will be on 3900X soon. I don't do custom deals on those though typically, so it's more expensive than the European hosts who use similar hardware.

    Thanked by 2eva2000 Falzo

    ExtraVM - AMD Ryzen VPS starting @ $3.50
    USA (TX, VA, FL), CA, FR, UK, SGP, AU

  • pkrpkr Member

    E5-2660 v2 is a very old CPU.
    Also, it seems the node is very crowded.

    People who work sincerely are the happiest - discoverbits

Sign In or Register to comment.