Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action

Comments

• @rds100 said:
    So the good hosts should pay to cover the losses from the hosts that make unsustainable offers and make runners with the money? Doesn't sound right.

Yes/no. We should make the membership useful - not just for insurance. There could be other benefits. Information sharing, a channel to help out when there's a crisis etc.

• @jcaleb said:
    its like a bank. depositor have insurance. sometimes banks have band investments and closes down

Except you can't setup a bank with pocket money during school holidays..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:

No that is not even remotely close to anything I said.

Not that anything has even been written down yet but the general idea being

Clients are only covered if they use a host that is part of the federation and have been with the host for XX months.

Hosts can only be part of the federation if they evidence to the board that they operate in a responsible way (Methods of determination to be discussed and agreed) and have been trading XX years.

The small fee hosts pay e.g. $30 - $50 p/month pays for underwritten third party business insurance.

This is not for the likes of "I want a refund because, disk IO, need dedicated cores, you did not respond to my support ticket within 1 hours, blah blah reason"

This is so that clients know that if they use a host in the federation even in the event that the owners die in a care accident they will not be financially penalised.

It is a seal of trust and best practice and a voice in the industry that would stand up against scum bags that give people an hours notice to GTFO.

Personally I think it would be a good thing, it could also assist with disputes right now the primary payment method is paypal, 45 days later you are screwed, under 45 days 99% of the time you are screwed anyway. it would be good for customers to be able to take the case to a tribunal for an impartial decision which explanation.

Personally I think it would only strengthen the industry, sadly if you were to come at it with the narrow minded fear of having to pay for someone else's mistakes and think that is all this could be then it is probably not for you and that is fine but as a host and a customer I know I would pay the extra $0.25 p/month on a package even if the cost is buried for the peace of mind and I would gladly pay in to a federation knowing that if I die in my sleep or similar it could be potentially business as usual for my customers regardless.

Thanked by 1upfreak

@rds100 said:
    If someone decides to offer 2GB KVM for $20 per 2 years, nobody should cover the losses for the people who buy it. It's all their fault for ordering and paying.

wow...

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2013

What, you don't agree with my statement? :) When i said "nobody" i really meant "no third party".

Your idea might be good but don't know. What if everyone gets slapped then for "cartel agreement" ? You have to think it well, legally.

• AnthonySmith said: The small fee hosts pay e.g. $30 - $50 p/month pays for underwritten third party business insurance.

Are you saying smaller hosts should pay that fee every month to be part of this federation idea?

That probably doubles the OPEX for a bunch of the smaller hosts/startups here!

• 10) Try to deploy a "beacon" of some sort so that if your website/code/data is fired up somewhere else on the sold/liquidated hardware, you will know immediately & can trace it and take the necessary action

Interesting idea @geekalot

• @jcaleb Call / Email then said you are a creditor

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I remember Burst.NET ask for ID, do you give it to them? @geekalot

• @TarZZ92 Since they don't have any money, suing them will only cost you money not recover anything

• @ShardHostSarah Please can you boot up node "S11 Dallas" for 10 mins, really need to backup datas :(

• i h> @dnwk said:

I remember Burst.NET ask for ID, do you give it to them? geekalot

Nope. I have never given photocopy of IDs to any Internet Service Providers.

And, I have been with some of the providers here for over 3 years.

Paypal Verified (with name, address, phone matching) should be all the ID I need. Period.

If it is good enough for Paypal ... and a US bank, with Big Brother/NSA in full effect, how could it possibly not be good enough for an ISP???

(PS, this is in no way an endorsement of Paypal, but IMHO the service is useful as a "web of trust" tool. Except, when I go through the trouble of signing up with a provider and then discover after just paying via Paypal that the provider has NO contact info in their payment confirmation or that the payment goes to an individual person when I signed up for services with a company.)

Again, IMHO, providers should be ready/willing/able to provide as much ID info as they demand from their customers.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • I feel sad for those that are requesting the node to be booted up for a few minutes to back up, and the ones that are willing to pay. This short notice is unacceptable.

• Wow some VPS guys paid for 24 months and got now emptiness... Sad.

• This is insane, I really didn't expect that from these guys!

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited November 2013

@geekalot How about Paypal. They ask ID too for some times

• @qhoster They are now become the creditors of Shard

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Paypal Verified (with name, address, phone matching) should be all the ID I need. Period.

That is easy enough to fake or buy an account that is verified, it helps but is not certain.

@CheapVPS said:
    That probably doubles the OPEX for a bunch of the smaller hosts/startups here!

That is what I am saying, it may not be as much, just enough to cover costs really, and this would not be for new start ups to begin with. small registered companies with 2+ years public accounts and <5 employees :)

• has anyone who has kept shardhost vps for more than 45 days got refunded yet?

• Biggest scam ever

To Whom It May Concern

Shard Hosting Solutions Limited

Thank you for your recent email. We were asked to undertake a review of the financial affairs if the company and following the review it was evident that the company did not have sufficient cash resources to continue trading. Our advice therefore was for the company to cease trading as soon as possible.

Application for Refunds

Any person allegedly due a refund for prepaid services is effectively an unsecured creditor of the company. There are insufficient funds to meet the liabilities due to unsecured creditors and therefore no refunds will be possible.

There being no assets or funds available it is unlikely that the company will enter into a formal insolvency procedure.

Further action for recovery of alleged refunds will therefore prove futile.

Server Requirements and Back Up.

The director has asked us to issue the following statement:-

“Under the terms of service you are responsible for your own data and backups. It was hoped that you would have had longer to take any additional backups you may require; however, upstream providers made a decision to withdraw their services as soon as the announcement was made that the company had ceased trading. European services should be reachable for backup collection; you should take a copy of the data immediately as the length of time that these will be available is uncertain”.

We cannot offer any further information at this present time.

Yours faithfully

Baverstocks

• @kyaky said:
    has anyone who has kept shardhost vps for more than 45 days got refunded yet?

It's impossible even for those who paid two hours before they became dead. I think there is no money in their PayPal account except (possibly) for those who paid this week I suspect ?

I have raised two disputes against Shard Host, no reply in PayPal Resolution Center from them. The only way to get refunded is to wait for the claim:

You can escalate this dispute to a PayPal claim until 02.12.2013.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

It makes no sense why they shut down and didn't try to sell. The truth isn't being told here, I tried to communicate with Sarah to do whatever I could to get things running again under new management. She wanted nothing to do with it.

Again, this makes no sense.

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • They most likely ran with whatever cash they had in the bank...

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2013

So was the plug pulled by the data center or not? Who did shutdown / disconnect those servers less than an hour after the announcement?

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited November 2013

@rds100 said:
    So was the plug pulled by the data center or not? Who did shutdown / disconnect those servers less than an hour after the announcement?

Well, it looks like Sarah is the only person who did that all ?

08.11.13 - Sarah resigned 5 days ago.

11.11.13 - Sarah responded to ticket

12.11.13 - Urgent email

***** Update

Looks like a Family Company ?

• @alexvolk so was Sarah a technical person? Did she know how to shutdown servers?

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Its very easy to shut down servers, there is a button to do it in the ColoCrossing interface.

However, why does it matter if she did it or the DC. This still ends up in the same situation.

• @rds100 said:
    so was Sarah a technical person? Did she know how to shutdown servers?

She responded to one of my support tickets for the shitty I/O on Sunday, and apparently rebooted the server then.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2013

@CVPS_Chris it matters, because people could not pull backups for such short time.
    One more day of power / bandwidth consumption wouldn't break the bank for jon and he would show himself as a really cool guy if he kept the servers for one more days, so people can pull their backups.

On the other hand if Sarah herself decided to shutdown everything (why the f*** is another matter) - then she's to blame.