Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@joelgm said:
    even when hosting with the worst in the LEB industry.

It depends what worst is. If it means poor network or disk, then you have no reason to be calm.

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited November 2013

:( Bought a yearly paid KVM from shardhost,used it a little because it get heavy packet loss.

I have serious procrastination,always left boxes idle for 6 months or over a year,it's bad habit,but just have the time to test out which ones worth putting sites on.

• Time to find a new sandbox. Bummer. The node I was on was pretty fast and bandwidth was good.

• Looks like the company has been taken over by creditors.

@dnwk said:
    Looks like the company has been taken over by creditors.

That will make no sense. If they did they cannot hope to recover anything by killing it since it probably rents hw and colo.

• @Maounique said:
    That will make no sense. If they did they cannot hope to recover anything by killing it since it probably rents hw and colo.

Sometimes, Banks are required by law to take actions even if it mean they lose even more.

• @Maounique said:

They will likely end all contracts and try to sell off the hardware.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

@miTgiB said:
    their prices were unsustainable, why is anyone shocked at the end result?

Yep. I feel like I shared that sentiment with Mark (Marc?) at some point.

• @jcaleb said:
    I have paid annual in August by paypal. is there a way to dispute or whatnot?

Call them, you'll get something if you're lucky.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
    edited November 2013

@concerto49 said:

IF there is any hardware. IIRC someone said they rent ?

• @Maounique said:
    IF there is any hardware. IIRC someone said they rent ?

And someone said they colo. Who knows.

@concerto49 said:

Even if they colo it is unlikely the dc will release the hardware before bills are paid.

• Dragoon0309Dragoon0309 Member
    edited November 2013

This is from the company page.
    Event History
    Date Description
    12/11/2013 Mrs S.E. White has left the board

Sarah maybe?

• I was a good IRC friend with Marc, they do colo and just moved to CC I would say 2-3 months ago so I would assume they signed a one year contract. Sounds like CC is stressing too

• terafireterafire Member
    edited November 2013

12/11/2013 Mrs S.E. White has left the board

On that site. So I'm assuming she will no longer be representing them through this.

• oh my god, I can't take a backup database

• I am glad I did not had anything serious hosted with them

Thanked by 2jcaleb DalComp
  • @miTgiB Christmas is too far :(

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited November 2013

manacit said: IMO, this stresses the fact that you need to back everything up to something like Glacier that's more or less guaranteed to be there long after you'll need the data, for $0.01/GB. Sure, it's a bit expensive to retrieve, but I'm betting there are people right now who'd happily pay $30 to get their data back.

Glacier is for archiving, not for backups. Anyone doing backups to glacier is really not getting the point of it and will face issues in a case like this (high retrieval cost, a 4-6 hour wait for data to get there).

terafire said: 12/11/2013 Mrs S.E. White has left the board

Did Mr Mark White also leave the board?

According to this link: http://companycheck.co.uk/company/07679837/SHARD-HOSTING-SOLUTIONS-LTD/directors-shareholders, Sarah resigned 5 days ago.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I fucking hate shardhoax

• Surprised no one has started the suing process yet.

@TarZZ92 said:
    Surprised no one has started the suing process yet.

Sue the dead horse?
    Bah.

• I > @TarZZ92 said:

Surprised no one has started the suing process yet.

You mean the "talking of" suing process... There are some legends in that department it would seem...

Constructively, what's the point if there are no tangible assets left?

• Another one bites the dust :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

@ATHK said:
    Paypal seems like a more feasible option here.. to bad they have a 45 day cut off..

It would work more like an insurance, in order to be a member company you would have to meet a certain criteria to begin with and pay a small membership fee that would go towards recovery or refunds in events such as these.

Think of it more like a a site seal of trust.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2013

My general rules (some apply to ShardHost, some might not):

1) Never have (any) data in just one place
    2) Protect that data, if possible (encryption)
    3) Always make & have routine backups
    4) **NEVER** pay more than quarterly
    5) **NEVER** go with a provider who requests Photo ID or photocopies of credit cards ... Between the "runners"/summerhosts/kiddiehosters (who are half of these hosting providers anyway??  THEY should be providing photocopies of **their** IDs) and with the breaches & sorry code I have seen (WHMCS & Solus exploits), no one's data is safe!
    6) Try to go with reputable providers (subjective and is not necessarily a guarantee)
    7) Monitor uptime/performance yourself.  If it is getting worse & support tickets don't help, dump them, before .....
    8) Try to have some comparable VPS's on "standby" (or better yet, "hot spare") when a "runner" occurs (ShardHost, 24khost, DixHost, eNetSouth, etc), 
    9) But, don't be a hoarder & waste money with too many idle VPS's - you actually will help to contribute to the "overselling" problem that way, IMHO
    10) Try to deploy a "beacon" of some sort so that if your website/code/data is fired up somewhere else on the sold/liquidated hardware, you will know immediately & can trace it and take the necessary action

Cheers & good luck

Back to lurking I go

geekalot

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

only problem for customers here i see, lacks of offsite backup and advance payments problem. Dont pay in advance, setup cron to make offsite backup and you should be safe.

• Maounique said: Sue the dead horse?

They still exist (company wise). one only needs to look at the company data (i.e company house data, aswell as director data to start proceedings.

• AnthonySmith said: It would work more like an insurance, in order to be a member company you would have to meet a certain criteria to begin with and pay a small membership fee that would go towards recovery or refunds in events such as these.

Think of it more like a a site seal of trust.

So the good hosts should pay to cover the losses from the hosts that make unsustainable offers and make runners with the money? Doesn't sound right.

It's the consumer's responsibility to use common sense when ordering online services, especially when prepaying for long periods. If someone decides to offer 2GB KVM for $20 per 2 years, nobody should cover the losses for the people who buy it. It's all their fault for ordering and paying.

• its like a bank. depositor have insurance. sometimes banks have band investments and closes down