Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

African IP Address Heist
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

African IP Address Heist

0x650x65 Member

"Another part of our investigation involved address assignments referred to as “legacy” IP address blocks. These blocks of addresses are particularly valuable because they do not attract AFRINIC’s annual fees, as they were assigned to companies in the early days of the Internet, before AFRINIC existed.

While combing through Africa’s IP address space, Guilmette discovered that Elad Cohen’s Netstyle e-mail address ([email protected]) appeared in the Internet Routing Registry (IRR) records for the following IP address blocks:

196.16.0.0/14 — Infoplan
168.80.0.0/15 — AECI Information Services
155.237.0.0/16 — Sasol
160.122.0.0/16 — Tredcor
165.3.0.0/16 — Wooltru
155.235.0.0/16 — Afrox MIS

When queried about the Infoplan, AECI, Sasol, Tredcor, and Wooltru blocks, Cohen stated that they (Netstyle) are the owners of all of those ranges, except the Sasol block. He also said that he regrets ever buying them."

More: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/350973-man-connected-to-african-ip-address-heist-running-for-board-position-at-european-ip-address-organisation.html

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/318205-the-big-south-african-ip-address-heist-how-millions-are-made-on-the-grey-market.html

Comments

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

TBH anyone who is interested in this is most likely already aware about it, this has been discussed at length across NANOG, RIPE, APNIC and ARIN mailing lists.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@Host4Geeks said:
    TBH anyone who is interested in this is most likely already aware about it, this has been discussed at lenght across NANOG, RIPE, APNIC and ARIN mailing lists.

And heavily discussed around the time the article was originally posted, he’s been known for a long time.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah, that's the sad situation.

Many of the people supporting Cohen for RIPE are present in this forum, but I'm sure you'll not hear from them because they have their own criminal/corrupt interests and need to maintain a low profile.

No one in the industry seems to have much against them anyway, so corruption will only increase as more and more money is at stake.

Thanked by 2vimalware bulbasaur
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Anything that Cohen says should be taken as a lie. a person who is completely happy to spam everyone to solve spam by moving everything to central authority and control is pure evil in my eyes.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Here is the voting report: https://www.ripe.net/participate/meetings/gm/meetings/may-2020/voting-report

Cohen managed to muster 300 votes generally. first vote required ~1400 votes to get elected.

But i am sure he will be back next year with his spam and keep trying to get elected.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@Nyr said:
    Yeah, that's the sad situation.

Many of the people supporting Cohen for RIPE are present in this forum, but I'm sure you'll not hear from them because they have their own criminal/corrupt interests and need to maintain a low profile.

No one in the industry seems to have much against them anyway, so corruption will only increase as more and more money is at stake.

Our friend @matteob is in there too!

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited May 2020

@CConner said:

One of my employee did it following his ticket. We're luckily that we had supported the nomination, but i blocked them from voting him.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@matteob said:

@CConner said:

One of my employee did it following his ticket. We're luckily that we had supported the nomination, but i blocked them from voting him.

There’s your name there not the name of the employee crediting support. Are you saying RIPE has published false information ?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Its fine.

It isn't like they stole ipv4+ ips.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • hzrhzr Member

Clouvider said: There’s your name there not the name of the employee crediting support. Are you saying RIPE has published false information ?

To be totally fair to him I just assumed it was the account's email, since it was posted by a noreply email following a specific format.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

@matteob said:

@CConner said:

There’s your name there not the name of the employee crediting support. Are you saying RIPE has published false information ?

Matteo sneakily edited his reply blaming an employee. When he posted it said "Please dont't remind me of my mistakes :wink: "

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • matteobmatteob Barred

@CConner said:
    Matteo sneakily edited his reply blaming an employee. When he posted it said "Please dont't remind me of my mistakes :wink: "

Yes i did it because old reply could be misunderstood and i shared more details