Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for China Telecom Optimized VPS for hosting API servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for China Telecom Optimized VPS for hosting API servers

uuujiuuuji Member
edited May 2020 in Requests

I'm looking to replace my linode $20 plan to something with better connectivity to mainland China. The linode was good and stable, but when my friends in China are constantly saying they are experiencing long load times and high loss of package I feel that I need to change it to something else.

I almost went for Oracle Cloud Korea E2.1, but not allowing bring your own license Windows Server makes me pull the breaks at the last moment, afraid that I'm going against their TOS :(

So spec requirements:
KVM
At least 2 vCores (Xeon Haswell+ or EPYC)
At least 4GB RAM
At least 80GB SSD or 150GB SAS HDD
Allow Windows Server ISO install / Bring your own license
No specific preference on host location
Dedicated is also considerable, but haven't look into that too much yet

Network requirements:
At least 1 public IPV4 address, IPV6 and RDNS preferred
At least 200Mbps+ bandwidth, 2T+ quota
CN2 to mainland China strongly preferred

Looking for around $20 per month, Credit card preferred.

Thank you :)

Comments

• If you don't care about your data being free-daily-backed-up by CN government (/s), try AlibabaCloud (https://www.alibabacloud.com/starter-packages/general). They have premium CN2 peering in most of their locations (I'd recommend Singapore which features pretty low latency). Price is amazing considering the peering, at $15/Mo for a 2 Core/4 GB/80 GB SSD. I have no idea about their Windows Licenses, so better ask support before purchasing.

• uuujiuuuji Member

@dedipromo said:
    If you don't care about your data being free-daily-backed-up by CN government (/s), try AlibabaCloud (https://www.alibabacloud.com/starter-packages/general). They have premium CN2 peering in most of their locations (I'd recommend Singapore which features pretty low latency). Price is amazing considering the peering, at $15/Mo for a 2 Core/4 GB/80 GB SSD. I have no idea about their Windows Licenses, so better ask support before purchasing.

I looked into alibaba and it seems that the $15 mo package only provides 30Mbps bandwith, which is a little bit too small for my application. But Thank you for that information anyways.

Maybe I'm gonna open a ticket at Oracle Cloud to see if dd an Windows image to linux vm violates their TOS or not ...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I don't have cn2, but I got CT+CU.

Let me know if you want to test it out :)

Francisco

• TeadazeTeadaze Member

@Francisco said:
    I don't have cn2, but I got CT+CU.

Francisco

Hi Fran,

I recall a while ago we have to go with a certain package + addon, I can't seem to find that info anymore. Can you please clarify? (That slice has been tempting me forever..!) Thanks!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Teadaze said: Hi Fran,

I recall a while ago we have to go with a certain package + addon, I can't seem to find that info anymore. Can you please clarify? (That slice has been tempting me forever..!) Thanks!

We don't officially sell the China IP's since it isn't good enough for most people to want to pay for it. CT has really dogged their network. It's better than any US provider, but it's not something I'd feel great to charge for.

As of now I just give the IP's for free to China based clients that ask nicely.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Teadaze
  • uuujiuuuji Member
    edited May 2020

Francisco said: I don't have cn2, but I got CT+CU.

Francisco

Hello,

Yeah most of my friends in mainland China are on the southern side, where China Telecom is dominant, so CT optimized route are really what I'm looking for.

I did checked your website but seems that I cannot find the type that can fits my need. Are you also doing custom configs?

I checked some reviews and saw that there were some China-optimized IP floating around, but the mtr result from Las Vegas' looking glass through the traditional chinanet instead. Curious are there a looking glass/iperf instance for the optimized route (if there is still any) for testing ?

• sibapersibaper Member

what kind of API server do you provided?

• StackNetworkStackNetwork Member, Host Rep

We should be able to offer you a nice deal in our Los Angeles or San Jose location, and I am pretty sure it will be well in your budget.

• China basically restricts bandwidth but not traffic.
    The mainstream configuration is 1 core 1G memory 50G disk 1Mbps broadband unlimited traffic.