Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap dedicated server for encoding
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap dedicated server for encoding

Hi
I'm looking for a good/ cheap dedicated server for encoding with Handbrake. Budget is around 10$/Month.
Any suggestions.
Thanks.

Comments

• kim1406kim1406 Member

Thanks for the reply, I checked the link and found vps servers. Do you allow 24/7 encoding on those servers? I want 24/7 encoding.

• yes cores are dedicated

• debaserdebaser Member

@DignusData said:
    yes cores are dedicated

So you offer 2 dedicated Intel Xeon Gold 6148 cores for as low as 3 EUR a month? Even when you are using the threads as a Vcore this means that a server is full with 20 customers. That’s a revenue of 60 EUR, while the dedicated server will cost you at least 1200 EUR a month.

Why should we trust this?

• king8654king8654 Member
    edited May 2020

@debaser said:

@DignusData said:
    yes cores are dedicated

So you offer 2 dedicated Intel Xeon Gold 6148 cores for as low as 3 EUR a month? Even when you are using the threads as a Vcore this means that a server is full with 20 customers. That’s a revenue of 60 EUR, while the dedicated server will cost you at least 1200 EUR a month.

Possibly engineering samples on owned hardware? Besides that, your talking minimum ~2 years roi on chips alone. Maybe have a hook for used xeons, who knows. All these prices seem insane but benches seem to be legit in some instances, worst case ends up in some serious LET drama when flames out

Edit: just grabbed the 2g vps in Belgium , paid with btc since not many domestic options. Payment went through, ill run some benchs after vps is activated

• mrclownmrclown Member

Very interesting to see benches. Too good to be true.

edited May 2020

@mrclown said:
    Very interesting to see benches. Too good to be true.

Will see, had option of 7-8 locations so unless coloed hardware, they are renting these with no chance of roi. Assuming dedicated might just allow multiple people to utilize 100% of each vcore without fup or regard for steal?

Edit:

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 6
    model : 13

So off to a rocky start. Chose Belgium since doubted they actually offered and was provisioned in Germany with hetzner. Knowing hetzner lineup pretty well, assumed this was not actually gold 6148 and seems ‘‘twas correct.

@dingusdata
    Any idea of this chip? Can’t be their epyc line as dedicated instances with these specs are 10x the price. Assuming their breaking up ax41’s?

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 2495.310 MHz
    Total size of Disk : 246.0 GB (1.5 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem : 1945 MB (46 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 999 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime : 0 days, 0 hour 21 min
    Load average : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.15.0-22-generic

I/O speed(1st run) : 254 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run) : 301 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 296 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 283.7 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed
    CacheFly 205.234.175.175 88.5MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo2, JP 139.162.65.37 6.14MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG 139.162.23.4 9.45MB/s
    Linode, London, UK 176.58.107.39 47.8MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE 139.162.130.8 95.7MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA 50.116.14.9 7.92MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX 173.192.68.18 11.1MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA 67.228.112.250 9.58MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE 159.122.69.4 81.3MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG 119.81.28.170 9.83MB/s

Softlayer, HongKong, CN 119.81.130.170 7.71MB/s

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited May 2020

king8654 said: Possibly engineering samples on owned hardware? Besides that, your talking minimum ~2 years roi on chips alone. Maybe have a hook for used xeons, who knows. All these prices seem insane but benches seem to be legit in some instances, worst case ends up in some serious LET drama when flames out

Owned hardware could be the case, but the ROI on the cpu alone is years even when acquired second hand. Still, it looks like they're using dedi's.

There are some benchmarks in other threads and I haven't seen anyone get a real Xeon Gold cpu. All old models or low-core-high-clockspeed cpu's. And in other cases they just hide the real cpu model. So that's a thing. Furthermore a lot of customers never seem to get the location they ordered either.

With all due respect, as Dignusdata seems to run a business with servers in a lot of locations, but you never get what you buy. And that's just plain unreliable at best.

Edit: your box might just be an AMD EPYC 7502P (Hetzner AX-161) which is a very good cpu, but not what they listed. Still, with 64 threads and the cheapest package of 3 EUR a month, that adds up to 96 EUR, while this dedi costs 119 EUR at Hetzner. So if these threads are really dedicated they're still selling it at a loss.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

king8654 said: Edit:

king8654 said: Assuming their breaking up ax41’s?

This is what I get on an AX41 KVM for comparison:

vendor_id   : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 6
    model name  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    stepping    : 3
    microcode   : 0x1000065
    cpu MHz     : 3593.248
    cache size  : 512 KB

• Edit: your box might just be an AMD EPYC 7502P (Hetzner AX-161) which is a very good cpu, but not what they listed. Still, with 64 threads and the cheapest package of 3 EUR a month, that adds up to 96 EUR, while this dedi costs 119 EUR at Hetzner. So if these threads are really dedicated they're still selling it at a loss.

So spec wise, even for dedicated just about anything, these seem very good. On mobile and kiddos awake so I'll play with it tonight. For $3/m I'll prob keep just to play with the dedicated vcores, but I'd be weary of using for production just based on the lack of transparency when ordering and loss leading business model. Hetzner ROI is one thing with the numbers game and investment to burn, but small resellers won't last long playing the same game

edited May 2020

@Mr_Tom said:

king8654 said: Edit:

king8654 said: Assuming their breaking up ax41’s?

This is what I get on an AX41 KVM for comparison:

cpu family    : 6
    model     : 6
    model name    : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    stepping  : 3
    microcode : 0x1000065
    cpu MHz       : 3593.248
    cache size    : 512 KB

Wtf? Its

model name:AMD EPYC 7502P 32-Core Processor

Lol I'll take but financially this is not possible

Just also grabbed:

16GB DDR4
    8xIntel Xeon Gold 6148
    350GB SSD RAID10
    UNLIMITED Premium Bandwidth
    1 GBit /s connection Best effort
    1 IPv4/IPv6
    DDoS protection
    ISOs (installation via VNC console)
    KVM
    $10

Well see if it's an epyc, and if so that's just ridiculous. Pricing is weird, other plans are more for less cores and ram, and higher plans specify epyc and 2288g. The 1g line might take a hit since while it is gueranteed to the box, as my ex42 is maxed all day, if 8-16 ppl are crushing it, gonna be ify.

Gonna spin up cloudbox and start some software transcoding later on, prob Monday night and see if they are dedicated

• debaserdebaser Member

king8654 said: Pricing is weird, other plans are more for less cores and ram, and higher plans specify epyc and 2288g.

The VM with an Intel Xeon E-2288G is 16 cores. The E-2288G has 8 cores and 16 threads. Please @DignusData explain us how you do this. Especially if those cores are dedicated.

• Assuming vcores, but still lol gonna guess all these vps are either epycs being sold at loss from splitting up ax161 or random xeons. Still waiting on 16g/10$, I'll update if provisioned today

• debaserdebaser Member

king8654 said: Assuming vcores

Of course, but it would still mean that you get a full machine.

• prob just oversold, heavily

if u get a shit neighbor, you're in for a bad time

• debaserdebaser Member

mikewazar said: prob just oversold, heavily

Probably, but they sell their cores as dedicated.

• @mikewazar said:
    prob just oversold, heavily

interesting thing overselling dedicated vcores :p

• EddingEdding Member

@DignusData could u fix the Looking glass ? http://lg-test.dignusdata.center/ not working.

Also could u provide testip for belgium location ?

• debaserdebaser Member

Edding said: Also could u provide testip for belgium location ?

I found this one earlier: 185.104.186.34. Is M247, routing is a bit weird for me as it goes from Rotterdam through Frankfurt to Brussels.

Thanked by 1Edding
  • Don't think the cores are dedicated.
    I got a 4x core VPS whose host is NOT a Xeon Gold 6148 as ordered but a Xeon E5-2673 v3.

root@dignus:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l

But:

root@dignus:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'core id'
    core id         : 0

Shouldn't that be "0 1 2 3" if dedicated?

• @king8654 said:

@mikewazar said:
    prob just oversold, heavily

interesting thing overselling dedicated vcores :p

ez to assign a core to a VM, give it 256 work units out of 1024 and call it dedicated lmao

• Oh I'm not saying you can't, but if true that's nail in coffin for any legitimacy of these offers

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@debaser said:

@DignusData said:
    yes cores are dedicated

I have already wrote almost the same to him. There no logic.
    They need to oversell A LOT to get service profitable.

edited May 2020

Go figure, the $10 vps non provision ticket response

hello. due to high demand for cloud vps we currently waiting for restock from suppliers

Kinda weird had to ticket them to find out they took an order and payment with no stock, 15 hrs later. No biggie, kinda what i figured, assume week or two until my 8x6148 turns into 2x1245v2 vps.

• kim1406kim1406 Member

I purchased Vserver SSD-8G

8GB DDR4
    4xIntel Xeon Gold 6148
    250GB SSD RAID10
    1 IPv4/IPv6
    DDoS protection
    KVM
    with windows server 2012 r2

I got it instantly, windows license is expired. I tried to do some encoding, found that, it is very slow. Even transferring my media files via FTP is not fast as expected.

• @kim1406 said:
    I purchased Vserver SSD-8G

8GB DDR4
    4xIntel Xeon Gold 6148
    250GB SSD RAID10
    1 IPv4/IPv6
    DDoS protection
    KVM
    with windows server 2012 r2

I got it instantly, windows license is expired. I tried to do some encoding, found that, it is very slow. Even transferring my media files via FTP is not fast as expected.

Run

cat /proc/cpuinfo

See whatcha got, honestly assume there dedicated in the sense that no fup exists, and everyone can just have their way with the vcores. Also check out htop to check on steal

• kim1406kim1406 Member

@king8654 said:

Run

cat /proc/cpuinfo

This will not work on Windows. I checked the CPU on task manager and it shows QEMU virtual CPU v. 2.5+, with 4 virtual processors.

• Even easier with hwinfo or cpuz

Or go into cmd

wmic cpu get caption, deviceid, name, numberofcores, maxclockspeed, status

• I ordered a VPS from Dingus too, although mine seems to have 8 cores when I ordered the €5 one which should have 2, I can't really complain and seems to be working well enough (although I haven't had very taxing workloads yet).

SSD and ram seems the right amount.

edited May 2020

Lol latest update on actual provisioned vps

There are no Network Issues Currently

Can't ping, restart, stop, power off. More stock expected Monday for my $10 plan. Great balls of fire

End is nigh' 🙏