Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server Needed

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hi,

So I've realised that I would like to have a dedicated server to run a lot of things.
I need the server hardware to be managed, I'm not sure if that is just standard when you rent a dedicated server that the provider handles all of that.

I don't need a lot of space maybe like 500GB ram 4GB want to spend $15-20 a month and either in France, West coast or Dallas, Singapore, or Canada.

Appreciate guidance in this area.

I have seen a few boxes at Decentric but I have used that and found their network to be flakey.

Comments

• https://www.ikoula.com/en/dedicated-server#agile

Has a promotion on their i3-8100, 1TB HDD or 240 SSD, 8gb ram for just 17.50 euros.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

I should mention USD

• @davenz said:
    I should mention USD

17.5 euros = 18.95 United States Dollar

Converting Euro's to NZD expensive, USD to NZD cheaper ;)

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Good luck with your budget, maybe try for a VPS? Or does it have to be a dedicated server?

• What do you mean by managed hardware? If you’re looking for hardware to be replaced in the event of failure and so on, then yes that would be covered by the provider.

not really, it needs to have dedicated resources and I want to be able to everything from storage, backups, running web sites etc. a lot of VPS KVM providers are keen to sell me SSD which is cool but super limited on storage so if there was maybe a KVM with attached storage that had redundancy and a 500mbps port at least could be something I could look at.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@davenz said:
    not really, it needs to have dedicated resources and I want to be able to everything from storage, backups, running web sites etc. a lot of VPS KVM providers are keen to sell me SSD which is cool but super limited on storage so if there was maybe a KVM with attached storage that had redundancy and a 500mbps port at least could be something I could look at.

Maybe @seriesn can come up with something for you. You are likely to get a VPS than a dedi for that price. Plus most providers are using NVMe now which gives a greater performance.

As you can see from the below, this is NVMe.

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 304.99 MB/s  (76.2k) | 949.88 MB/s  (14.8k)
    Write      | 305.79 MB/s  (76.4k) | 954.88 MB/s  (14.9k)
    Total      | 610.79 MB/s (152.6k) | 1.90 GB/s    (29.7k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 1.12 GB/s     (2.2k) | 1.15 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Write      | 1.18 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.22 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Total      | 2.31 GB/s     (4.5k) | 2.37 GB/s     (2.3k)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@Jord said:

@davenz said:

Maybe @seriesn can come up with something for you. You are likely to get a VPS than a dedi for that price. Plus most providers are using NVMe now which gives a greater performance.

As you can see from the below, this is NVMe.

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 304.99 MB/s  (76.2k) | 949.88 MB/s  (14.8k)
    Write      | 305.79 MB/s  (76.4k) | 954.88 MB/s  (14.9k)
    Total      | 610.79 MB/s (152.6k) | 1.90 GB/s    (29.7k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 1.12 GB/s     (2.2k) | 1.15 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Write      | 1.18 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.22 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Total      | 2.31 GB/s     (4.5k) | 2.37 GB/s     (2.3k)

Thank you for the kind mention :)> @davenz said:

Hi,

So I've realised that I would like to have a dedicated server to run a lot of things.
    I need the server hardware to be managed, I'm not sure if that is just standard when you rent a dedicated server that the provider handles all of that.

I don't need a lot of space maybe like 500GB ram 4GB want to spend $15-20 a month and either in France, West coast or Dallas, Singapore, or Canada.

I have seen a few boxes at Decentric but I have used that and found their network to be flakey.

@davenz Budget is a bit tight for 500GB of SSD :(. The cheapest I have seen in the states were Wholesale internet. But even they might be bit above your budget :(

• @davenz said:
    Hi,

You should try DrServer (https://drserver.net/dedicated.php). Well within your budget, in Dallas and if you're lucky, you'll be able to pick one of the cheap ones at $12/month with a better spec than you listed above. Intel® Atom C2750 (8-Core, 2.4GHz) 8GB DDR3 500GB SATA. Solid support and excellent network.

• I've an Ikoula i had with a discount, the one before the i3 edition. If you want a dedi with lot of space and 1gbps network for your budget it's actually the way to go. Check OVH Kimsufi also they may have discounts sometime (i had i3 dedis for 11$ in the past with 2tb but just 100mbps network).

Ikoula looks really old in their management panel but the dedi works well for my non critical use.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • vingohostvingohost Member, Host Rep

Check kimsufi. They have small dedicated servers and their prices are good.