Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a provider, what is causing downtime to your services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

As a provider, what is causing downtime to your services?

Hello all,

Since few months I’m trying different providers and I’ve seen that a lot providers may have downtime for few minutes sometime (more on VPS and web shared services).

I would like to know more about what is causing these downtimes. First I imagine it’s sometime DDoS and probably sometime you have to reboot the host but why? And why you can’t fix issues that requires system reboot?

I’ve been also in an hosting company (one of the biggest in Europe) and most of our cloud issues were related to hardware issue (we talk about a park of more than 5k hosts).

Thank you for your honesty and feedback.

Comments

• I'm not a provider. But few of the common things are

• DDOS
    • Fiber cuts
    • Routers failing
    • Domain auto-renewal failing
    • FSCK
    Thanked by 2o_be_one Gojko
  • marvelmarvel Member

Disk full.

Thanked by 1mikewazar
  • emreemre Member, LIR

the thing you think as a space shuttle is just another computer in just another place.

and computers do break.

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited May 2020

I few days ago my VPS didn't respond and as it later became clear cause of a kernel panic on the provider's side.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@marvel said:
    Disk full.

lmao this

• koliekolie Member

Bout the only time my equipment goes down is if we wired too much amperage on a circuit - and that only happens because someone wasn't paying attn when they wired her up. It gets fun when the "A" circuit works fine - and suddenly fails, you go to "B" and well blow the circuit.

• GojkoGojko Member

DDOS
    Hardware

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

last downtime i had was an ups upgrade gone wrong -.-

• Firewalls. Can be a pain if over-looked.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • jlayjlay Member

Edge cases that could be solved with better package/manifest handling for Kubernetes/the OS

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

My server was null routed by WSI due to ddos attack. It went offline for few days and I was left with no option as WSI ddin't offer any ddos mitigation solution. So we moved to QPC and they had a short downtime due to some switch malfunction last month. Besides that everything is going fine till now.

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

o_be_one said: I’ve seen that a lot providers may have downtime for few minutes sometime (more on VPS and web shared services).

There are two ways you can measure downtime/uptime, Network, and System.
    If you talk about System uptime, that's easy to measure. Servers are either up or down.
    Why one might go down? - Kernel Updates can require a Downtime, Restart of Services, or just plain Hardware failure. If you have a Web Server and the Hardware goes down the Service will be down (unless you have replication and all that fine stuff), no matter how big the Company is.

The network part is a bit harder, you are not alone out there, there can be DDoS Attacks directed to your network or even another Network on the same path which can give you a poor service quality. But also Instabilities in the Network(s) between the Server and the measuring point. Or, just network maintenance that requires a reboot, a reconfiguration, etc...
    Fiber cuts are a thing too, they are either cut by an excavator or worse, deliberately.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Someone not updating their WordPress site and it gets hacked. Then filling up the disks that's always fun...