Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got interesting news? Share it.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Got interesting news? Share it.

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Everyone,

If you have interesting community/industry news we invite you to share it and we'll probably be able to publish it on LowEndBox:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/looking-for-community-industry-news/

• If you are a provider and have something worthy of sharing, let us know!

• If you are an individual and have something worth of sharing, also let us know!

I am open to pretty much anything so long as it's interesting enough to be shared.

Thanked by 2Synatiq hostnamaste

Comments

• hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider

Hi Jon, It is a great initiative, thanks for informing us. Can you publish a press release as well?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

You mean something like this? Those were great in my opinion.

I'd like to propose my own: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/164360/wireguard-automated-installer-ubuntu-debian-centos-fedora

It's the continuation of my openvpn-install project, which is used by quite a lot of members from this community and has been maintained for nearly a decade.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • hyperexperthyperexpert Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

Hmm, lets see:

• Working on launching a third service location in the US. Fully owned hardware and equipment just like the other 2 locations.
    • Working with a dev team on a shiny new custom provisioning module with cloud offers, AGAIN! (deja vu from the 2017 crash)

Just small stuff ;)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

hostnamaste said: Hi Jon, It is a great initiative, thanks for informing us. Can you publish a press release as well?

We won't publish a press release because I don't think it's a good fit for our community and users. We will, however, publish a paragraph or two about a new feature, or a new expansion (something notable). If you have a submission please PM me.

Nyr said: You mean something like this? Those were great in my opinion.

Yes

Nyr said: I'd like to propose my own: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/164360/wireguard-automated-installer-ubuntu-debian-centos-fedora

It's the continuation of my openvpn-install project, which is used by quite a lot of members from this community and has been maintained for nearly a decade.

I'll message you about this shortly.

hyperexpert said: Hmm, lets see:

Working on launching a third service location in the US. Fully owned hardware and equipment just like the other 2 locations.

Working with a dev team on a shiny new custom provisioning module with cloud offers, AGAIN! (deja vu from the 2017 crash)
    Just small stuff

Send me a PM and we can work on something.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@hostnamaste said:
    Hi Jon, It is a great initiative, thanks for informing us. Can you publish a press release as well?

Good question! I was also curious about this.

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited May 2020

Why don't you go for a more generalised approach seeing as a lot is focused on offers and providers already, absolutely nothing wrong with that but you don't want to saturate the site with offers/provider stuff either.

Hardware/software launches and updates, perhaps software reviews etc would go quite well and add some variety.

@dustinc said:

@hostnamaste said:

Good question! I was also curious about this.

I don't think press releases are a good match for lowendbox but a 2 to 4 paragraph bulrb about whatever new and exciting things are going on is acceptable.

Thanked by 2dustinc hostnamaste
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

@jbiloh said:

• If you are an individual and have something worth of sharing, also let us know!

Currently in the process of expanding my colo space (contracts are signed,...) and possibly offering services to the public instead of the current select clients.

Right now i am finishing up a client-panel/shop as i descided to go with building it from scratch.

So we shall see if i apply for a provider tag or not in the future.

@SGraf said:

@jbiloh said:

Currently in the process of expanding my colo space (contracts are signed,...) and possibly offering services to the public instead of the current select clients.

Right now i am finishing up a client-panel/shop as i descided to go with building it from scratch.

So we shall see if i apply for a provider tag or not in the future.

Good luck on your expansion.

Where is your colo located?

Already received a handful of submissions which is awesome. Keep them rolling in.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@jbiloh hopefully you will do the right things and not post too many wht styled buzzword "press release" :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Perhaps it would be better with all the submissions combined weekly / forntightly / monthly?

"This week in the hosting industry" type thing.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member

I would suggest endorsing @Nyr for his wireguard installer script. People all over the internet are begging for such a solution, and I'm sure it will drive lots of traffic to LET. It also helps show that LET is a community that extends beyond advertising for VPS products. Guys like @Nyr are incredibly rare so it would be incredibly foolish to ignore his contributions.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanked by 4RIYAD Jord Nyr seriesn

We are posting about WireGuard on June 6th everyone. Seems like an awesome tool. :)

seriesn said: @jbiloh hopefully you will do the right things and not post too many wht styled buzzword "press release"

Agreed! No press releases. We need the news to be easy to read, interesting, and pertinent to our community. Does anyone actually read all the PR crap on WHT? Hah.

SplitIce said: Perhaps it would be better with all the submissions combined weekly / forntightly / monthly?

"This week in the hosting industry" type thing.

If we get enough submissions I will definitely consider that.

DA_Mark said: I would suggest endorsing @Nyr for his wireguard installer script. People all over the internet are begging for such a solution, and I'm sure it will drive lots of traffic to LET. It also helps show that LET is a community that extends beyond advertising for VPS products. Guys like @Nyr are incredibly rare so it would be incredibly foolish to ignore his contributions.

We're on it. We are posting about his tool on June 6th.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • ollietrexollietrex Member
    edited May 2020

Not sure if it would work but how about video content, fireside chats with people from the industry, or tutorials followed by Q&A?

ollietrex said: Not sure if it would work but how about video content

That's a good goal to work towards but outside of my current capability/skill.

ollietrex said: tutorials followed by Q&A

Help me understand what you mean here.

• ollietrex said: tutorials followed by Q&A

Help me understand what you mean here.

A live video tutorial over zoom or what ever platform followed by Q&A from people in the meeting.

ollietrex said: A live video tutorial over zoom or what ever platform followed by Q&A from people in the meeting.

That's a cool idea, thanks for sharing. I'll work towards something like that.

Calling all providers to submit their news!!

• donlidonli Member

Server sales went through the roof in the first three months of 2020.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/07/omdia_server_record_growth/

More submissions received, which is awesome. Keep them coming folks. :)

• DianTamaDianTama Member
    edited May 2020

I'd love to see about any security/exploit/data breach news related to server provider / hosting.
    for example : https://thehackernews.com/2020/05/digitalocean-data-breach.html

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@jbiloh I suggest you overhaul your redaction plan. feels like 90% of the posts contains either the words racknerd, dustin or hostnamaste. are you sure you own lowendbox?

you said you have content prepared till september. if the mixture continues like that, I doubt that the actual 'growth' is more than a short peak that will end in another catastrophe - but maybe I am just overly pessimistic.

in other words: people obviously are interested what happens right now. don't spoil it. I visited lowendbox a few times in the last weeks, only to be disappointed. the very few offers or articles that really are interesting didn't even make it into your top 10 list.

tl;dr; I think your relying/pushing to hard on certain (same) things, that won't work in the long run. but let's follow up in 2021 and feel free to prove me wrong...

@Falzo said:
    @jbiloh I suggest you overhaul your redaction plan. feels like 90% of the posts contains either the words racknerd, dustin or hostnamaste. are you sure you own lowendbox?

you said you have content prepared till september. if the mixture continues like that, I doubt that the actual 'growth' is more than a short peak that will end in another catastrophe - but maybe I am just overly pessimistic.

in other words: people obviously are interested what happens right now. don't spoil it. I visited lowendbox a few times in the last weeks, only to be disappointed. the very few offers or articles that really are interesting didn't even make it into your top 10 list.

tl;dr; I think your relying/pushing to hard on certain (same) things, that won't work in the long run. but let's follow up in 2021 and feel free to prove me wrong...

The top 10 list is just based on comments (intended to take any bias out of it).

What type of content did you find most interesting? You're feedback is appreciated!

Right now content is written and scheduled through January, excluding offers which are finished through late June right now (need more submissions). Approximately 40 tutorials are already written to be posted between now and January.

I'd like to have some days with more than one post but in order to do that I need more interviews, news bites, etc. Hence why I'm always asking for submissions.

Also I've opened up tutorial and op-Ed writing to anyone who wants to do it (see prior posts asking for submissions). So long as the pieces are well written we pay for them. Some providers have donated content which is great too.

• FalzoFalzo Member

the interview with @seriesn was interesting as well as the offer from mailcheap - but that's about it for me.

the mix of content goes into the right direction I'd say.
    I agree that tutorials and stuff are nice - however I'd recommend to be careful about having always the same Providers in the spotlight, it might suggest a strong affiliation and money behind it.

just my pov though...

Thanked by 1seriesn

Falzo said: the interview with @seriesn was interesting as well as the offer from mailcheap - but that's about it for me.

Glad you liked the interview. We have 14 more written and scheduled between now and January including a number from heavy hitters in the industry, former administrators @Jar and moderators @raindog308, along with a few others. I think people are really going to like them. Right now we are scheduling an interview about every two weeks.

We also have a handful of other interesting offers coming from under-served regions and with unique services.

Falzo said: the mix of content goes into the right direction I'd say.

I agree that tutorials and stuff are nice - however I'd recommend to be careful about having always the same Providers in the spotlight, it might suggest a strong affiliation and money behind it.

It's a work in progress. Trying to make at least one thing better every day. I hear your points.

Falzo said: just my pov though...

Appreciated the POV, thank you for sharing.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@jbiloh said:

Falzo said: the interview with @seriesn was interesting as well as the offer from mailcheap - but that's about it for me.

Glad you liked the interview. We have 14 more written and scheduled between now and January including a number from heavy hitters in the industry, former administrators @Jar and moderators @raindog308, along with a few others. I think people are really going to like them. Right now we are scheduling an interview about every two weeks.

We also have a handful of other interesting offers coming from under-served regions and with unique services.

Falzo said: the mix of content goes into the right direction I'd say.

It's a work in progress. Trying to make at least one thing better every day. I hear your points.

Falzo said: just my pov though...

Appreciated the POV, thank you for sharing.

Thank you for featuring my interview Jon. That was really nice of you :)

To falzos point Jon, here is a tutorial that made any one with semi decent industry knowledge raise their eye brows.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/what-is-a-kvm-vps-the-technology-explained/

This post did not explain anything about kvm it self or even went down to basic technical details, but turned into a sales pitch as soon the 3rd paragraph ended. I have enjoyed reading the vpn installation instructions, even though it was pretty big.

I completely understand that you are trying to get as many content as possible. But the contents should be you know, quality content. From a non provider perspective, quality content over qty should matter.

I understand Dustin is trying to be more active with helping you out unlike most of us basement warriors, but it is getting a bit overwhelming at this point. Kinda like a flashback from 2019's q3/q4 posting. Or even the cough cough, CC days.

You are an industry veteran, I am pretty sure you alone have a lot up your sleeve, that you can write and schedule for posting, which will keep the healthy content flow going.

Maybe you could simply write a semi weekly post about what you are doing with LEB, how you have made so many amazing changes and continue to improve. Your struggles when you setup clustering, fixing email issues. Maybe simply take some of the forum discussions that we had here in the first and feature them on LEB and create a post over there.

All I am saying is, if there is one week, where i can go without seeing the same name for the billionth time,

Please note, my comments are solely in the essence of keeping community and LE spirit alive. From an end user perspective, I do care and want to see this place go back to it's old glory. Been here for a while to have some kind of emotions attached to this place, like many of us.

From a business perspective, I could care less and give two less shit as long as I am some how able to stick my spam there, either via comment or anything else.

Thanked by 1Falzo
    edited May 2020

I totally get where you are coming from @seriesn

Part of the reason it feels like some of the recent pieces have only been about RackNerd/Dustin is because he was one of the first to step up and either:

1) contribute tutorials
    2) get back to me with his interview answers
    3) submit his offers
    4) be highly engaged with the community

So that means his offers got scheduled in some cases first, his interview as the first to go live, so on and so forth.

I've got literally dozens of articles and tutorials written by myself and others which are scheduled to go live over the next half a year -- just trying to space it out with a variety of polls, offers, and so on. So as time passes it will naturally feel like a bigger variety is getting published.

I've also got a 25~ plus series of tutorials coming from @raindog308 which will start to get published in the next couple weeks. Andrew has done an amazing job with the detail and high level of technical acumen he devotes to the pieces. I am hoping he'll continue writing the tutorials so we can keep them coming (right now his pieces are scheduled between now and early 2021).

We've also got a handful of other community members writing paid tutorials here and there. About 5 have been received so far.

Which reminds me, @seriesn, if you want to write anything that you think the community would find interesting just send me a PM (whether it be news, tutorial, opinion-editorial, etc).

We are open to anyone and everyone so long as the content is articulate and serves a purpose.

seriesn said: Please note, my comments are solely in the essence of keeping community and LE spirit alive. From an end user perspective, I do care and want to see this place go back to it's old glory. Been here for a while to have some kind of emotions attached to this place, like many of us.

Glad you care and glad to have you as part of our community. Overall I'd say we are kicking butt together and the progress has been very strong so far in 2020.

• seriesnseriesn Member

jbiloh said: Which reminds me, @seriesn, if you want to write anything that you think the community would find interesting just send me a PM (whether it be news, tutorial, opinion-editorial, etc).

That reminded! I need to finish up my Knowledge base entries. Probably can share something from bunch of tutorials I am creating for Nexus Bytes :)

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep

Hi @jbiloh

We've just launched our new US location. Here's our official announcement https://portal.hostworld.uk/index.php/announcements/11/Hello-to-Chicago-US-from-hostworld.html

Not sure if this would be of interest to you for industry news? Thank you :)

@hostworld said:
    Hi @jbiloh

We've just launched our new US location. Here's our official announcement https://portal.hostworld.uk/index.php/announcements/11/Hello-to-Chicago-US-from-hostworld.html

Not sure if this would be of interest to you for industry news? Thank you :)

PM me the details along with a 2-3 paragraph blurb about it and we'll share it. :)