Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed by Directadmin's Support - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disappointed by Directadmin's Support

13»

Comments

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

seriesn said: Can't comment on others, but almost everyone here that I have seen as DA volume player in this forum, offers top notch support.

And almost all of them are praised for their support.

At the same time, we have clients moving to us from unmanaged VPS providers because they won't provide DA related support, as they are unmanaged VPSes. I am sure other providers have them, too.

Again, what you said is good will and not obligations.

This is why the question deserves a clear answer. It is really just a one word answer - yes or no.

When you need to write a paragraph to a one word answer question, it becomes clear that there is more than just yes or no. That should not be the case.

DirectAdmin and the unmanaged providers should be able to say, yes it is their responsibility and they will provide DA related support, or just say no.

I do not see that is happening here.

Then who will provide support to the internal DA license holders?

Thanked by 1HostMayo
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@MechanicWeb said:

seriesn said: Can't comment on others, but almost everyone here that I have seen as DA volume player in this forum, offers top notch support.

At the same time, we have clients moving to us from unmanaged VPS providers because they won't provide DA related support, as they are unmanaged VPSes. I am sure other providers have them, too.

This is why the question deserves a clear answer. It is really just a one word answer - yes or no.

When you need to write a paragraph to a one word answer question, it becomes clear that there is more than just yes or no. That should not be the case.

DirectAdmin and the unmanaged providers should be able to say, yes it is their responsibility and they will provide DA related support, or just say no.

Yes to DA related question. Which is what software support is if not mistaken? That is how everyone of them works (DA/WHMCS/CPANEL/Plesk).

What kind of support are your users seeking? If someone needs "hey install apache for me, configure this and configure that" that is not in the scope of software support.

• @seriesn said:

@MechanicWeb said:

Yes to DA related question. Which is what software support is if not mistaken? That is how everyone of them works (DA/WHMCS/CPANEL/Plesk).

What kind of support are your users seeking? If someone needs "hey install apache for me, configure this and configure that" that is not in the scope of software support.

If you don't want to get such of messages - make nice docs, explanations. Not only professionals buy hosting/vps/servers, but just a random people, sometimes with poor knowledge but they get better everyday. You don't say heyyy I sell only to professions. Of course not. You sell your VM to all people and take money from all the people. So be ready to asnwer customer's questions. DA has poor documentations. I still don't know where to find public_html from command line. Where? Where should I look? /etc/nginx/??? /usr/local/directadmin/ I still don't know how to configure nginx to enable my site because I don't know how. How? Where? Why so complicated! It's easy to enable my site doing it from the scratch without DA, but hard to do it WITH DA. I heard that DA makes customers' life easier but it's not true, DA made my life harder. Why the don't make video on youtube on how to do this, how to do that. Why? I just registere in their forum and they blocked me for no reason. I just reg, then showed up there and it says I'm blocked. WHY? They are weird af. I'm totally dissapointed.

• BroscienceBroscience Member
    edited May 2020

I still don't know how to install php7.4 modules. How? Can I do it from command line or not? I read the guide but it's outdated because it didn't work for me. VERY POOR AND OUTDATED Docs. No support at all.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@Broscience said:

@seriesn said:

@MechanicWeb said:

If you don't want to get such of messages - make nice docs, explanations. Not only professionals buy hosting/vps/servers, but just a random people, sometimes with poor knowledge but they get better everyday. You don't say heyyy I sell only to professions. Of course not. You sell your VM to all people and take money from all the people. So be ready to asnwer customer's questions. DA has poor documentations. I still don't know where to find public_html from command line. Where? Where should I look? /etc/nginx/??? /usr/local/directadmin/ I still don't know how to configure nginx to enable my site because I don't know how. How? Where? Why so complicated! It's easy to enable my site doing it from the scratch without DA, but hard to do it WITH DA. I heard that DA makes customers' life easier but it's not true, DA made my life harder. Why the don't make video on youtube on how to do this, how to do that. Why? I just registere in their forum and they blocked me for no reason. I just reg, then showed up there and it says I'm blocked. WHY? They are weird af. I'm totally dissapointed.

100% agreed. My own personal kb has been crap and needs a rehaul as well.

https://site-helper.com/evo/sitehelper.php

The rest of your questions? https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=556

/home/username/ is where public_html stays.

You also need to understand sir, the panel went from just a panel to cpanels alternative within less than a year. Their forum is pretty active with really good user base

Once again sir, as I said on one of the responses above, answer to basic how tos will always be responded with a proper answer that guides them to right directions.

I mean there's a reason system admins exists. If you need extra, paid support option is available. But the basics are there. If an user expects total handholding while paying for $3.50/mo all inclusive slice, instead of paying $30 with knownhost/liquid web, I don't have an answer to that.

This is same for any control panel. Including cpanel:). .
    Once again, not speaking on behalf of anyone nor saying DA is "God". But the average every day how to answers are available, both from the hosts such as us, who are providing internal licnese and directadmin support forum/doc.

Goes back to my earlier response, I haven't had hard time finding answer to my da related questions, within the first 5 results of a google search. And that is from a time when I just switched from Cpanel. Most and almost all the answers were in a format where simply copy pasting did the job :)

Maybe @smtalk @da_mark should think about introducing paid support option. Which honestly would be nice. Since that is how every other companies rolls. (Whmcs/cpanel/hostbill/blahblahh).

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2020

@Broscience said:
    Why the don't make video on youtube on how to do this, how to do that. Why?

Explains everything; I'd block you too. :-|

Wonders how one can c&p a command line from a vid.

Generically, there are far too many cowboys trying to run servers/VPS on the back of no qualifications/training. Best to keep the Summer hosts dumb! If they can't make the effort then sod 'em.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Nowadays, kids want video tutorial for everything.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint ViridWeb
  • disapoint by cheap provider whining

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member

Not denying that finding information is the hardest part -- docs.directadmin.com is being populated as we speak and will it be the one place for the latest, most accurate info.

Also, we don't randomly ban forum members :trollface: If you sign up and instantly get banned, then 99.999% chance you are using a VPN/proxy with an IP address that has some spam history..

• @Broscience said:
    I still don't know how to install php7.4 modules. How? Can I do it from command line or not? I read the guide but it's outdated because it didn't work for me. VERY POOR AND OUTDATED Docs. No support at all.

What does no support at all mean? No support from your internal DA licence provider? No support from a directly purchase licence with support package from DA?

Have you even searched anywhere for it like Google or just read some guide (unknown location). If you search Google for - install php modules directadmin - the answer is the 8th one down.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2020

@DA_Mark
    Do us a favour: whenever I'm looking for a wee bit of info, I always end up at the old docs (help.directadmin.com). Could you add a link at https://directadmin.com/support.php (and homepage?) to point to docs.directadmin.com? I remembered there was new docs someplace but couldn't remember the link. ;)
    There's a heap of useful information on site-helper that I always forget about. :blush:

(Should really post this in the other thread, I guess, but is kinda related?)

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member

@AlwaysSkint -- I totally hear what you're saying. It's a good point no matter what thread you mention it in. :grin:

help.directadmin.com has the best resources for now, until we finish populating docs.directadmin.com and then pushing everything to it.

This means all old help.directadmin.com stuff, forum posts, our web site, will redirect to the new docs page.

Of course, you or anyone else shouldn't be expect to remember the URL of the new docs page. I bet most people will use Google to find solutions anyway. And they might land on outdated guides or forum posts (one of the biggest gripes in finding relevant DA info).

So aside from better/centralized docs, our plan is to append a notice to any old docs (even forum posts by 3rd parties) with some kind of notice like "This is an old tutorial.. please see this specific guide on docs.directadmin.com"

@AlwaysSkint next will be video tutorials, because real men don't use cut & paste. :trollface:

• seriesnseriesn Member

@DA_Mark said:
    @AlwaysSkint -- I totally hear what you're saying. It's a good point no matter what thread you mention it in. :grin:

help.directadmin.com has the best resources for now, until we finish populating docs.directadmin.com and then pushing everything to it.

This means all old help.directadmin.com stuff, forum posts, our web site, will redirect to the new docs page.

Of course, you or anyone else shouldn't be expect to remember the URL of the new docs page. I bet most people will use Google to find solutions anyway. And they might land on outdated guides or forum posts (one of the biggest gripes in finding relevant DA info).

So aside from better/centralized docs, our plan is to append a notice to any old docs (even forum posts by 3rd parties) with some kind of notice like "This is an old tutorial.. please see this specific guide on docs.directadmin.com"

@AlwaysSkint next will be video tutorials, because real men don't use cut & paste. :trollface:

Can I screenshot and paste?

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member

@seriesn said

Can I screenshot and paste?

We actually had a customer complain (and threaten to move to a different control panel) because we didn't have an "Upload screenshot and parse for errors" feature. Turns out his problem was a full disk partition, so he wouldn't of been able to upload the screenshot anyway :wink:

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • seriesnseriesn Member

DA_Mark said: threaten to move to a different control panel

At least you weren't threatened to be sued!

DA_Mark said: Upload screenshot and parse for errors

I pay 3 fiddy via fatpal! make it happen!

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 2020

@timelapse said:

@Francisco said:
    @da_mark you should see about adjusting the ticket system to block if the user opening the ticket isn't the owner of the license, stopping internal licenses from spamming you up:)

Francisco

Or you could set users without the prem license to only be able to open a ticket 1 at a time. They cant open another as long as a previous ticket is open.

This won't work. This will just mean multiple issues will be combined into one ticket, causing way more confusion. Having a high priority issue blocked by a low priority task or vice versa would occur and be problematic for everyone.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited May 2020

Yeah I aslo have been banned on the DA forum. I registered maybe 4 or 5 days ago and forgot about that forum. Now I check it out and it turnes out I'm banned. I didn't even write there lol. NO VPN, even thou my VPN IP is white af with no spam history cuz I checked it and it hosts on my VPS. Okay, then let me ask here... I need to know how to:

a) enable directadmin for working after reboot?
    systemctl start directadmin helped me to start DA after installation
    systemct enable directadmin didn't help to start DA automatically after every reboot

b) install php7.4 modules?

It's easy to install from the command line just type:
    apt install php7.4-fpm php7.4-bz2 php7.4-cgi php7.4-cli php7.4-common php7.4-curl php7.4-gd php7.4-intl php7.4-json php7.4-mbstring php7.4-mysql php7.4-opcache php7.4-pspell php7.4-readline php7.4-xml php7.4-zip
    But how to install all the modules I need for DA?

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
    ./build set php1_release 7.4
    ./build update
    ./build install php7.4-fpm php7.4-bz2 php7.4-cgi php7.4-cli php7.4-common php7.4-curl php7.4-gd php7.4-intl php7.4-json php7.4-mbstring php7.4-mysql php7.4-opcache php7.4-pspell php7.4-readline php7.4-xml php7.4-zip
    ./build rewrite_confs

This way?
    My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 (setup.sh sees it as Debian 11) and I have less than 1 week of DA exp

P.S. Just noticed that I have to start Nginx as well after every reboot

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

They offer good knowledgebase at help.directadmin.com
    PS. run just ./build help and you will get list of all supported option. "Install" not supported there i guess...

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@RedSox said:
    Yeah I aslo have been banned on the DA forum. I registered maybe 4 or 5 days ago and forgot about that forum. Now I check it out and it turnes out I'm banned. I didn't even write there lol. NO VPN, even thou my VPN IP is white af with no spam history cuz I checked it and it hosts on my VPS. Okay, then let me ask here... I need to know how to:

systemct enable directadmin didn't help to start DA automatically after every reboot

b) install php7.4 modules?

It's easy to install from the command line just type:
    apt install php7.4-fpm php7.4-bz2 php7.4-cgi php7.4-cli php7.4-common php7.4-curl php7.4-gd php7.4-intl php7.4-json php7.4-mbstring php7.4-mysql php7.4-opcache php7.4-pspell php7.4-readline php7.4-xml php7.4-zip
    But how to install all the modules I need for DA?

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
    ./build set php1_release 7.4
    ./build update
    ./build install php7.4-fpm php7.4-bz2 php7.4-cgi php7.4-cli php7.4-common php7.4-curl php7.4-gd php7.4-intl php7.4-json php7.4-mbstring php7.4-mysql php7.4-opcache php7.4-pspell php7.4-readline php7.4-xml php7.4-zip
    ./build rewrite_confs

This way?
    My OS is Ubuntu 20.04 (setup.sh sees it as Debian 11) and I have less than 1 week of DA exp

P.S. Just noticed that I have to start Nginx as well after every reboot

You don't need to start directadmin via command after fresh installation. If you installed correctly then ut will online automatically.

Also you should wait for few seconds/minutes after every reboot to work server properly

And for custombuild they have option inside the panel which works great

You can also try help.directadmin.com for more tutorial

• smtalksmtalk Member

RedSox said: Yeah I aslo have been banned on the DA forum. I registered maybe 4 or 5 days ago and forgot about that forum. Now I check it out and it turnes out I'm banned.

What's your username? Anyone banned - just let us know your usernames and I'll check them... (including the reason)

Thank you!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Just sue DA and get it over with.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@deank said:
    Just sue DA and get it over with.

Be my lawyer! I need to sue these damn Canadians for being too friendly. It is costing me money -___-

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

@seriesn said:
    Be my lawyer! I need to sue these damn Canadians for being too friendly. It is costing me money -___-

Let me talk to Justin!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@LeonDynamic said:

@Broscience said:

What does no support at all mean? No support from your internal DA licence provider? No support from a directly purchase licence with support package from DA?

If you use the internal license provided by your hosting provider than you have no DA direct support - whether you have a support from your hosting provider depends on your individual deal with that hosting provider.

If you buy from DA directly, you get support directly. It’s pretty reasonable.

• @Clouvider said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@Broscience said:

If you use the internal license provided by your hosting provider than you have no DA direct support - whether you have a support from your hosting provider depends on your individual deal with that hosting provider.

If you buy from DA directly, you get support directly. It’s pretty reasonable.

Thanks Dom, I fully understand the different support packages whether that be an internal or external licence.

My question was related to the OP and trying to clarify what was meant by no support at all and read the guide but doesn’t work.

• @RedSox said:

(the start command just starts the service that one time. The enable tells it to start on boot. Generally, after installing most software, you run both commands to have it start immediately as well as in the future after reboots. This can be combined into systemctl enable --now directadmin). So you're doing something wrong or misunderstanding if you've ran both commands and directadmin doesn't start. And if you typed it right and its still not working, then you need to look at logs and troubleshoot, which you need even more experience than simple systemctl start commands...)

Based on this question alone, one has to ask you, WHY are YOU setting up a Direct Admin server? This isn't your skill set and will become a huge time sink for you with high risk of not being successful. You can just buy shared hosting from someone for less than $10/year and you don't have to worry about 99% of the problems that admins face.

Even if you needed to handle several websites, being a reseller service is still way easier to administrate than running your own DA server.