Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you define success?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you define success?

FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Every once in a while, I will ask myself this question. The main reason is because I felt that I am too normal / average, especially when friends and families are asking about my current status. Most of the time, they are asking just because they want to know whether they are better than me.

For me, I define success as being able to bring positive impact to the world. However, I feel that to bring a large enough impact requires me getting into top companies / owning a large company / being recognised nationally. No one cares about what I did if I am just a random guy in the world.

Anyway, how do you define success? Do you think your life is a success?

Thanked by 1OhJohn

Comments

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Are you depressed my friend?
    Please don't commit suicide or anything wrong. We love you.
    You are the only FAT in this world we love.. :wink: :lol:

Thanked by 2FAT32 sayem314
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@ViridWeb said:
    Are you depressed my friend?
    Please don't commit suicide or anything wrong. We love you.
    You are the only FAT in this world we love.. :wink: :lol:

Maybe that's what staying in this small room during pandemic every day brings me :joy: I am not sure whether I am depressed, but more of a disappointment on myself of not great enough.

Don't worry I didn't ever think about committing suicide because that's a waste of life.

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

Most people that ask other's status are insecure.
    Being good, doing good is enough to define success!

Thanked by 2FAT32 sayem314
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2020

Success is something that must be defined within oneself.
    What someone considers success may not be yours.

My definition of success is simple.

1. Retirement fund
    2. Are my family in good shape financially? If not, fix it, idiot.
    3. Laugh at idiots & troll'em.

As long as three conditions are met, I don't care what anyone else says.

Thanked by 2FAT32 vpsGOD

@cazrz said:
    Most people that ask other's status are insecure.
    Being good, doing good is enough to define success!

You are right, I believe I asked this on forum because I am insecure too.

@deank said:
    Success is something that must be defined within oneself.
    What someone considers success may not be yours.

My definition of success is simple.

1. Retirement fund
    2. Are my family in good shape financially? If not, fix it, idiot.
    3. Laugh at idiots & troll'em.

As long as three conditions are met, I don't care what anyone else says.

That's a good point, but wouldnt you feel worried if someone else achieve your definition of success earlier than you? Especially the ones having similar background with you.

Dude, everyone will die at one point. Early success will bring what? Remember a race between a turtle and a rabbit?

Reach your goals instead of watching others reach theirs. You are not them, and they are not you.

• Very simple, better than yesterday :)

Thanked by 1FAT32

@deank said:
    Dude, everyone will die at one point. Early success will bring what? Remember a race between a turtle and a rabbit?

While I get your point that don't care so much about others, but early success means you have more time to achieve even more things?

@allen314 said:
    Very simple, better than yesterday :)

Well technically we are all better than we were yesterday?

@FAT32 said:
    While I get your point that don't care so much about others, but early success means you have more time to achieve even more things?

Achieve even more things and face a rapid downfall. That's what the history tells us.

Late bloomers are better than geniuses.

Also, this is a sad day. A troll is giving life advice. The end is clearly, WSSly, nigh. Rename yourself to NTFS64.

@deank said:
    Also, this is a sad day. A troll is giving life advice. The end is clearly, WSSly, nigh. Rename yourself to NTFS64.

Thanks for your life advices. Frankly, I am quite happy to receive a non-troll post from you.

• RedSoxRedSox Member

If you were born in one of the 14 eyes country you can consider yourself successful by default. And judging by your expressions and good English, I dare to assume that you were born, raised and live in one of the 5 eyes country. So no complaints and depressions. You are already a winner in life. Live the way you want, the main thing is to be satisfied and have everything you and your family need. Sometimes homeless people in a landfill look much happier than the middle class and that's what I can't understand...

Thanked by 1FAT32
    edited May 2020

@RedSox said:
    If you were born in one of the 14 eyes country you can consider yourself successful by default. And judging by your expressions and good English, I dare to assume that you were born, raised and live in one of the 5 eyes country. So no complaints and depressions. You are already a winner in life. Live the way you want, the main thing is to be satisfied and have everything you and your family need. Sometimes homeless people in a landfill look much happier than the middle class and that's what I can't understand...

I am not from one of the 14 eyes countries but that doesn't matter. I believe your point is about being able to appreciate what I have right now.

It is undeniable that sometimes I take privilege for granted. I should really appreciate more because having a place to stay, enough foods to eat and a job is already considerably good enough.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

You have to ask yourself what you consider as success, and how much it matters to you. The definitions by others will bring you nothing but misery, and if success is truly important to you, you'll try your best. Maybe it'll be enough, maybe it won't: a large part of the outcome is dumb luck, which is out of your control.

Try your best, and keep no expectations from life. That's the only way somebody who actually contemplates difficult questions will survive in the day to day life.

And seriously, like @deank said, don't make people like us give advice. It makes us question ourselves, and that's not the job of a troll!

Cheers.

Thanked by 2FAT32 deank
  • xaocxaoc Member

Does it have to be a competition? Nope. :D

Thanked by 1FAT32

Always keep in mind that the end is nigh.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • WSSWSS Member

Two chicks at the same time.

Thanked by 3jar notarobo TimboJones
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2020

If my kids grow up having what they want and need, knowing their daddy loves them more than anything, I was successful in life.

@WSS said:
    Two chicks at the same time.

Also yes.

Thanked by 2WSS FAT32
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Success is defined by your goals, but I would not necessary say, you need goals, random stuff that comes in can also be a success for you.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Health and happiness. Have strong relationships with family and close friends. And the ability to travel and explore the world is a plus.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@FAT32 said:
    Every once in a while, I will ask myself this question. The main reason is because I felt that I am too normal / average, especially when friends and families are asking about my current status. Most of the time, they are asking just because they want to know whether they are better than me.

For me, I define success as being able to bring positive impact to the world. However, I feel that to bring a large enough impact requires me getting into top companies / owning a large company / being recognised nationally. No one cares about what I did if I am just a random guy in the world.

Are you alive (mentally)?
    Do you have people around you that loves you?
    Do you have family that loves you?
    Do you have a reason to wake up tomorrow?

If answer to those are yes, you are a good man and you are successful in life.

I love to laugh. Even over the smallest thing and learnt not to overstress about unknowns.

As every college girl with UGG boots says or as @jar would say,
    Laugh, live , love.

Thanked by 2Ympker FAT32
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2020

@FAT32 said:

There are two books I can recommend you read, mate:

How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie.

How to stop worrying and start living by Dale Carnegie.

I recommend them regardless of wheter you are depressed right now or just not feeling well, or perhaps it's not even that bad? These books are a good read no matter your current condition :)

It's even Trump approved (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing lol) :

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • defaultdefault Veteran

I define success simply as being. As long as you exist, and somebody (anybody) loves you, you are successful in that person's eyes and this is all that matters to keep you sleeping well at night.

On another note, if success is defined by power and money, then there will be no peace of mind, simply because there will always be more money and more power to reach, with no answer to the boring question "why not?", causing no restful sleep.

Religion teaches well from this perspective, as humanity was created to simply exist; not to have, but to be.

Thanked by 2Ympker FAT32
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@Ympker said:

@FAT32 said:

There are two books I can recommend you read, mate:

How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie.

How to stop worrying and start living by Dale Carnegie.

I recommend them regardless of wheter you are depressed right now or just not feeling well, or perhaps it's not even that bad? These books are a good read no matter your current condition :)

It's even Trump approved (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing lol) :

Dale Cornegie is awesome!

Thanked by 1Ympker