Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bought an OVH server. Could this be SYS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bought an OVH server. Could this be SYS?

edited May 2020 in General

Hi guys,

Sorry for posting here. I bought a server today for 30 euros from a reseller. Server is located in Canada. Specs are 1245v2 32gb ram 2x2 ultra star 7200rpm. When doing iperf with - r i only get 250mbps up although speedtest-cli shows somewhere near 1gbps. Down is 1gbps tested it many times.

Did ovh had these servers in main range or in SYS? Thanks.

Ps i can run more tests if needed.

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Based on specs and price it’s definitely sys instead of ovh range.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Just run some traceroute and you'll probably see.

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited May 2020

@OP I don't want to be that guy, but why rent from an OVH reseller instead of going direct?

You also had concerns about OVH and their marketing of the speed of their internet, why did you still go forward with OVH?

• @Shot2 said:

Traceroute to where?

• edited May 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    @OP I don't want to be that guy, but why rent from an OVH reseller instead of going direct?

You also had concerns about OVH and their marketing of the speed of their internet, why did you still go forward with OVH?

I bought from reliable reseller who apparently also got it from reseller. This to him was advertised as 1Gbps.. Now I need enough evidence to show that no way this is 1Gbps up.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited May 2020

I wonder how a reseller can offer this server for 30€, it costs much more if you order it on SYS directly.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited May 2020

@TheDrunkenDribbler said:

@Shot2 said:

Traceroute to where?

to wherever you like.

Or just run whois [yourip].

• Don't use the version of speedtest-cli that comes as an apt-get package to test the speed of your server, especially if you are running Ubuntu. Instead get and install it from the github. The binary included in apt-get repository is known to be bugged and not work correctly reporting limitation. If you do use the one from Github then at least you can confirm that is the actual limitations and not some bug or issue in the software.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @Shot2 said:

@TheDrunkenDribbler said:

@Shot2 said:

Traceroute to where?

to wherever you like.

Or just run whois [yourip].

Done it, what exactly am i looking for there?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

TheDrunkenDribbler said: Done it, what exactly am i looking for there?

Paste here, you can remove part of your IP

• @NanoG6 said:

TheDrunkenDribbler said: Done it, what exactly am i looking for there?

Paste here, you can remove part of your IP

https://imgur.com/a/CEMCmUf

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Well, pretty obviously OVH Canada, yep.

• @Shot2 said:
    Well, pretty obviously OVH Canada, yep.

I know right.. 🇨🇦🙄 Is there any tests I can run to determine what the upload speed is?

Thanks so far.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

It looks like some old Soyoustart from around 2017, thus 250 Mbps bandwidth.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170608010436/https://www.soyoustart.com/fr/serveurs-essential/

• OhJohnOhJohn Member

If this is ordered by the one (and only) provider that resells servers from all around the globe than it is a sys bhs server. They do write 1gps in their list (and for inbound thats true) but it is 250mps outbound.

I'm still sad that I somehow missed all the clearance deals in SEA,LAX,DAL,NYC,MIA and CHI.

• WolfWolf Member

So it a server provided by a reseller of a reseller of OVH? 🤔

• edited May 2020

@Wolf said:
    So it a server provided by a reseller of a reseller of OVH? 🤔

I bought it from a friend who resells and sources servers from all over the world. This was sourced from a USA provider.

Conclusion is that this is SYS and 250mbps up. Should of thought that for 30 euros wont get me 1gbps both ways hehe😏

Thanks for your help guys.