Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WireGuard automated installer | Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Fedora - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WireGuard automated installer | Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Fedora

Comments

• sonicsonic Veteran

@doughnet said:
    Can this script be used to link multiple servers into its own private lan?

No

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2020

Just a heads up, but if your wireguard server broke this week, there's a fix that'll take a few days to make it out, but you can install the hwe kernel as a quick solution if you can't wait.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/h0tkzt/up_to_date_ubuntu_18044_cannot_compile_wireguard/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

• @TimboJones said:
    Just a heads up, but if your wireguard server broke this week, there's a fix that'll take a few days to make it out, but you can install the hwe kernel as a quick solution if you can't wait.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/h0tkzt/up_to_date_ubuntu_18044_cannot_compile_wireguard/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Yep. I just upgraded local machine to 18.04 hwe.

I think I'll directly move some servers over to 5.4+ based LTS distros rather than risk tunnel breakage from a bad ppa build.

• Thank you @Nyr! This is very easy to use.
    Can you add AdGuard "Family protection" DNS servers to the list, please? (of course I can change those by myself, but it would be nice to have)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@MGarbis said: Can you add AdGuard "Family protection" DNS servers to the list, please? (of course I can change those by myself, but it would be nice to have)

Unlikely, because it's not a very popular choice.

I'll consider a "custom DNS server" option instead.

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • sonicsonic Veteran
    edited June 2020

Why not change custom DNS from config file yourself? It takes you 10 secs only.

@MGarbis said:
    Thank you @Nyr! This is very easy to use.
    Can you add AdGuard "Family protection" DNS servers to the list, please? (of course I can change those by myself, but it would be nice to have)

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@Nyr Nice to see you back! I love the script!

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • I installed Wireguard on my Phoenix VPS. I use Adguard DNS servers. I don't understand why dnsleaktest shows my dns is 149.28.95.9 when using Wireguard for Android app on my phone. It's 149.28.95.9.vultr.com. Choopa, LLC. AdGuard's DNS servers are 176.103.130.132, 176.103.130.134 or 176.103.130.130, 176.103.130.131.
    149.28.95.9 isn't my phone's normal DNS either.
    VPS's /etc/network/interfaces have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as a DNS servers. What is 149.28.95.9?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@MGarbis said:
    I installed Wireguard on my Phoenix VPS. I use Adguard DNS servers. I don't understand why dnsleaktest shows my dns is 149.28.95.9 when using Wireguard for Android app on my phone. It's 149.28.95.9.vultr.com. Choopa, LLC. AdGuard's DNS servers are 176.103.130.132, 176.103.130.134 or 176.103.130.130, 176.103.130.131.
    VPS's /etc/network/interfaces have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as a DNS servers. What is 149.28.95.9?

It’s adguard ip, they’re with vultr (in asia?)

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • @NanoG6 said:

@MGarbis said:
    I installed Wireguard on my Phoenix VPS. I use Adguard DNS servers. I don't understand why dnsleaktest shows my dns is 149.28.95.9 when using Wireguard for Android app on my phone. It's 149.28.95.9.vultr.com. Choopa, LLC. AdGuard's DNS servers are 176.103.130.132, 176.103.130.134 or 176.103.130.130, 176.103.130.131.

Thanks. How did you find out or already knew it's adguard ip? Everything I found was it's Choopa's ip and located in the USA.

• sonicsonic Veteran

@MGarbis said:

@NanoG6 said:

@MGarbis said:

Thanks. How did you find out or already knew it's adguard ip? Everything I found was it's Choopa's ip and located in the USA.

You use Adguard DNS, so it's Adguard server IP.

@MGarbis said: How did you find out or already knew it's adguard ip? Everything I found was it's Choopa's ip and located in the USA.

Just to clarify, AdGuard uses Vultr (Choopa) for their infrastructure. It's fine, don't worry about it :)

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • how to create .conf file

• @RedSox said:
    Thank you Master. You made life easier for thousands of people ^:)^

P.S. I wish someone showed up here with a script that installs and configures a mailbox (Exim+Dovecot+Roundcube) in just 5 minutes...

Maybe take a look at Mailcow Dockerized too.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • Manual configuration for 1 hour wasted until I found this.

• Does this also allow alternate IP assignment on a dual stack instance...?
    Thx

@sally said: Does this also allow alternate IP assignment on a dual stack instance...?

It does provide IPv6 and IPv4 simultaneously, if that's what you mean.

Thanked by 1sally
  • sallysally Member
    edited August 2020

Many thanks @Nyr , also for making this available...! :)
    What I meant was,can I assign one device a v4 only and another device on the same home network with a v6 only...?

@sally said:
    Many thanks @Nyr , also for making this available...! :)
    What I meant was,can I assign one device a v4 only and another device on the same home network with a v6 only...?

Yes, you can modify that in the client configuration.

Thanked by 1sally
  • @Nyr thanks for this, just saw it.

Can this run simultaneously on the same CentOS 8 server running DirectAdmin without any conflict? @DA_Mark @smtalk

Will DirectAdmin updates break the script or vice-versa?

Thanks!

@Sid said:
    @Nyr thanks for this, just saw it.

Can this run simultaneously on the same CentOS 8 server running DirectAdmin without any conflict? @DA_Mark @smtalk

Will DirectAdmin updates break the script or vice-versa?

Thanks!

Yeah, you can do it. No conflict at all.

Thanked by 1BSA
  • BSABSA Member
    edited December 2020

@Nyr said:

Thanks again @Nyr. I take it that there's no conflict with any of the major control panels on CentOS 7/8? Currently I'm using the following 3 on numerous servers; cPanel, DirectAdmin and ApisCP.

edited December 2020

@Sid said:

@Nyr said:

Thanks again @Nyr. I take it that there's no conflict with any of the major control panels on CentOS 7/8? Currently I'm using the following 3 on numerous servers; cPanel, DirectAdmin and ApisCP.

No conflict at all.

• @Nyr said:

@Sid said:

@Nyr said:

No conflict at all.

I have try cloudron with the wireguard script, so wireguard not working.

Is it conflict with cloudron?

Thanks.

• Nice one. I am thinking about a Wireguard API which will accept clients public key and give a config file in response. Client will only need to add his private key in the config.

• edited December 2020

@Boogeyman said:
    Nice one. I am thinking about a Wireguard API which will accept clients public key and give a config file in response. Client will only need to add his private key in the config.

You are thinking for commercial one, you could hire a programmer for it.

• @chocolateshirt said: You are thinking for commercial one, you could hire a programmer for it.

Probably. I don't need one, I will start as soon as my current project is over.

• Many thanks for saving our lives, Nyr!!! I've been using Nyr tools since openvpn release.

I also install wireguard using this on my Raspberry Pi with raspberrypi-kernel-headers. It works like a charm.

• jokotanjokotan Member
    edited December 2020

Thank for your work @Nyr
    I'm not an user, yet.
    But after some quick code review I don't like that if there is no wg0.confexists, then the script begin wireguard installation. Sure, I want it to install all configs for me, but I like to install everything by apt-get by myself. I'm about the part where it is request read -n1 -r -p "Press any key to continue...". Why not give user some more information and opportunity to refuse shadow apt-get iterations with -y flag.

Why I'm not happy about that? I'm new wireguard user. As I see it add debian-backports, but install wireguard package (not wireguard-tools) and not from added backports. Need to use -t debian-backports flag as I know. The result will work, but not as module if I'm not miss something. So I want more control over this apt-get iterations. it will be beautiful to add opportunity to skip this step with some nice warning what user need to install if he want manually. and then continue only with configs/iptables rules.

My 5 cents.

p.s. and missed opportunity to choose tcp, instead of udp

Anyway, than you very much. You made a good amount of job!

• Noticed a very interesting glitch. It works with ipad but I tried to set up a second client on Ubuntu and it does not work. Seems like it connects to the server (however, I do not see a handshake after sudo wg command) but there is no internet. Nothing pings. Any thoughts on this?